Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GB or Europe and V2 or 3rd?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GB or Europe and V2 or 3rd?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ukwoody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: GB or Europe and V2 or 3rd? Reply with quote

Good evening all, firstly can I say what an excellent forum, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now and it's really good, thank you.

Now, I live in rural Wales (Pembrokeshire) and many places can be hard to find on the map and I travel about a lot, so I want a Tomtom.

1) it is unlikely I will go out of the UK for quite a while yet (though you nevr know) so should I just go for the Gb/Irl version, or since Amazon are now doing the Europe one for £145 is it worth getting that for the bigger memory and the vague hope of going abroad at some stage? would the extra mem make much difference to me?

2) I have been concerned that there seems to be various issues with 3rd edition and the more knowledgeable amongst you (I was going to say geeks

Laughing Wink ) seem to be uninpressed with it. If I went for V2 would I be able to upgrade the maps to a new version free (one off) like you can on the 3rd? and would it be better really?

3) one other question, is the mapping really good? These farms and little villages can be blighters to find some times. With out funny here would say a snooper or garmin be better on maps?

thanks in advance,
woody
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get hold of a v2 I should say that it's a better bet than the new 3rd edition. I have been using mine for a year, and it has been totally trouble free when using a good quality SD card (I did have a few freezes when I was using a very cheap 2GB card).
I prefer the NavTeq maps, which come with v2 Europe - here in Swansea there are fewer errors than on the TeleAtlas maps which come with v2 Regional (UK). But as TomTom have now bought TeleAtlas, I doubt if there will be any further NavTeq maps for the One.
I doubt if they will give you a map upgrade for free, but it's always worth a try! Villages are all well mapped, you should have no problems in Pembrokeshire. My wife has a Garmin, and in rural areas it tends to choose some iffy routes sometimes, very narrow roads, sometimes unsurfaced. Although TomTom can occasionally do this too, it happens much less frequently than with the Garmin.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: