Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions with my Nuvi 650......Help me out Nuvi guys
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions with my Nuvi 650......Help me out Nuvi guys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyHd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Questions with my Nuvi 650......Help me out Nuvi guys Reply with quote

What an awesome forum this is. I've been lurking and have learned a lot of good stuff.
I finally got a Nuvi 650 with the 08 maps. I'm very impressed with the unit except just a few small issues.

1. I noticed it does not leave a bread crumb trail behind you as you're driving like my Street Pilot 3 did. Is it possible to set this up so the unit will do this?

2. Deleting favorites. How can I delete ALL the favorites at once? I loaded some custom POI's on the Nuvi and now they will not delete. I did try the POI loader delete feature with no luck.

3. Organizing favorites into categories. Can it be done? I'd love to set it up so for example one area for "St. Augustine, Fl POI", "Blue Ridge Mountains POI" , etc. Instead of scrolling or spelling everything out.

Thanks so kindly for any assistance.

Alex
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an update to Q2 at CLICK HERE

Quote:
Nuvi 650 with 08 maps.

I've been trying for days now to get the favorites deleted. I finally deleted about 400 POI loaded manually, every program I tried would not delete them. GeePeeEx editor, POI Edit 2007, and Garmin's POI program. My fingers are sore now.

When I try to load new POI's into the unit:

f:\garmin\gpx\current.gpx

The file shows it has written but the new stuff will not display in the GPS. It does not matter what program I use to load the files, it will just not show up.

What in God's name am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for any help.

It might help to clarify what you are doing. You have used the terms Favourites and POIs but they are both different things. The favourites are locations you have asked the unit to remember such as friends houses and appear on a list.

POIs are the lists of locations you can download and add such as Petrol Stations and shops.

The difference might not seem much but it helps to get the right answer.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions with my Nuvi 650......Help me out Nuvi guys Reply with quote

MightyHd wrote:
I finally deleted about 400 POI loaded manually, every program I tried would not delete them.
When I try to load new POI's into the unit:

f:\garmin\gpx\current.gpx

The file shows it has written but the new stuff will not display in the GPS.
3. Organizing favorites into categories. Can it be done? I'd love to set it up so for example one area for "St. Augustine, Fl POI", "Blue Ridge Mountains POI" , etc. Instead of scrolling or spelling everything out.

There isn't a 'software' mechanism to delete Favourites, only add them. Some units have a built-in option to 'Delete all user data', which deletes Favourites (and probably other things too) - I don't know if the Nüvi 650 is one of these or not.

What happens when you add Favourites, is the following (I think Smile ):-

.The unit searches the entire file system for *.gpx files (including CURRENT.GPX)
    .Any new (non-duplicate) entries it finds are added to its internal list
    .This new list is written to \gpx\Current.gpx, overwriting its previous contents.

When Mapsource adds Favourites, it creates \gpx\Temp.gpx. I think any gpx files that contain information that the Unit firmware doesn't understand, are silently discarded. Presumably that is the cause of your problem.

You can't organise Favourites into categories - it's just one big list (well not actually that big - about 500~1000 depending on the unit).
If you turn your gpx files into POI's (using POI Loader), you can have categories. These categories are derived from the file names and directory structure that is the input to POI Loader. (There is a gpx 'category' statement, but it is ignored)
MightyHd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I get it.

For some reason I loaded about 90 POI's but they showed up in the favorites and not the POI.

I purchased a copy of GeePeeEx, what a wonderful program. I have been playing around with the software a bit, loading/deleting POI's and were able to organize them.

There is just so much stuff you can do with these things compared to a street pilot III.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: