Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - memory problem with Quest 1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - memory problem with Quest 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JF123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Help - memory problem with Quest 1 Reply with quote

Have a 256MB Quest 1 unit and am experiencing problems with the memory. Have exhausted Garmin customer support, wonder if anyone else here can help.

I have a 186MB map set (City Select v9), 14 routes with a total of about 260 waypoints between them. There are a further 18 separate waypoints in the map set.

Seems there should be no problem in accommodating this in the Quest. However, on transfer I get an error message that the route waypoint memory is full and some of the routes (the last ones, alphabetically ordered) appear in the Route list but cannot be navigated – they only contain the start location and nothing else. I sent Garmin the GDB file and they have been able to successfully download all the data to their Quest.

Garmin suggested hard resetting the machine and erasing all user data I’ve done this. Not sure if the erase has worked properly as the map set is not erased (although all routes and waypoints are) and the user data on the start up screen (name, phone number etc) is not erased either.

Garmin are suggesting it’s a memory fault but as the unit is out of warranty, probably not worth the cost of repairing.

Anyone have any other suggestions I could try?

John Question
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

It sounds like you have tried most things... Confused

You could check the firmware revision and upgrade if necessary.

260 waypoints in 14 routes sounds like a lot of waypoints per route. Do you REALLY need that many waypoints? I think there is a limit on the number of waypoints per route - maybe there are too many points in a particular route?

Try removing some points if possible and see if that fixes it... Try deleting a few of the routes and see if that fixes it...

I can have a look at the GPX and try it on my Quest if you want, though if Garmin can't see what the problem is then I'm not sure if I would..... Confused
JF123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Welcome

It sounds like you have tried most things... Confused

You could check the firmware revision and upgrade if necessary.

260 waypoints in 14 routes sounds like a lot of waypoints per route. Do you REALLY need that many waypoints? I think there is a limit on the number of waypoints per route - maybe there are too many points in a particular route?

Try removing some points if possible and see if that fixes it... Try deleting a few of the routes and see if that fixes it...

I can have a look at the GPX and try it on my Quest if you want, though if Garmin can't see what the problem is then I'm not sure if I would..... Confused

Cheers. I was going to try and remove some of the waypoints. I needed them initially as I was plotting a load of alpine routes and Mapsource was gagging to get me off the twisties and through tunnels or onto motorways.

Still a puzzle as to how Garmin got it working no problem....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JF123 wrote:
I was going to try and remove some of the waypoints. I needed them initially as I was plotting a load of alpine routes and Mapsource was gagging to get me off the twisties and through tunnels or onto motorways.

Try selecting "Avoid Highways" (and maybe "Toll Roads") which will help keep you off the motorways. You could also try using "Shorter" rather than "Faster" in your routing preferences.

Also, try tweaking the road speeds for motorways in Mapsource -- Preferences -- Routing -- Driving Speeds to make it favour minor roads.

Good luck and enjoy the scenic routes! Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: