Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best European Maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best European Maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Best European Maps? Reply with quote

I know that Tele Atlas and Navtech supply maps to all the major navigation software.

1) Please answer this question, which Navtech supplied navigation software incorporates the latest Navtech maps for EUROPE and then keeps them the most recently updated with reasonably priced map updates, Mapopolis, Destinator, Naviagon or CoPilot?

2) Please answer this second question, which Tele Atlas supplied navigation software incorporates the latest Tele Atlas maps for EUROPE and then keeps them the most recently updated with reasonable priced map updates, TomTom, Navman SmartST, Mapsonic, or Teletype?

Thank you,
Guy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can assume that the products that have brought out new releases most recently do also have the most recent maps

NavTech: Navigon
TeleAtlas: Navman

General map update frequency is once a year. All you can do to really get the latest maps is buy all the upgrades from all the vendors...But this is certainly not the cheapest solution.

Don't forget, these maps cost real money. Someone has to pay that. Cheap maps = old maps

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Ya, I realize that maps aren't cheap and I understand it takes work to make good maps. Thanks for the help

Hmmm, to buy Navman or not to buy Navman Smile

Guy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another thing to muse about... I think that NavTech data has all the house numbers geocoded, whereas TeleAtlas works with an approximation "This part of the street has the odd house numbers from 1001 to 1201. You are looking for 1089 so we guess it is somewhere in the middle of that street part" . Works ok for short streets, but here in America streets are very, very long, and houses are not evenly distributed...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya,

And I'm not liking the fact that looking up addresses requires you to know the postcode. You can type in the street without the postcode, but then you have to look at the map to see if it is in the right location since the same street name will be in many places. Hmmm, well, I still think the most up-to-date maps are important, so I may still go with Navman.
igurevich38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavTech house numbers are also appoximations and sometimes even assumptions. In the US 8 out of 10 times (my personal assesment) the house numbers in NavTech database are either way off or simply wrong. The numbers are averaged over the street span and in some cases assume that a street block all the numbers that it's supposed to have which it really doesn't. Also, sometimes the house numbers are reversed to the wrong end of the street.

I never used TeleAtlas database, but I can't imagine it could be any worse than the NavTech one in terms of house numbers.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how perceptions differ... Here in Texas the NavTech data (in Mapopolis) is spot on.

Each house number I was navigating to so far was exactly where Mapopolis said it is (of course assuming the map data has the street in the first place which is not always the case for NavTech).

TeleAtlas has newer maps for Texas, but the house numbers are sometimes several hundred yards to several miles off....

So... Every generalization is bad. (got the joke?)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
igurevich38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Maryland and also drive a lot around in Pennsylvania. In both, Navtech numbers are really bad. I have Destinator 3. May be this area has worse maps than Texas.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: