Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - latest map guarantee 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

latest map guarantee 520
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: latest map guarantee 520 Reply with quote

Hi I am after upgrading my much loved TT One V2 to either a 520 or 530 as there is not much of a difference i wondered if I bought the 520 would I get the free latest map guarantee v7. or v8. ??

I would want the v8 and was going to go for the 530 but if i get v8 on both it makes no sense to go for the 530 and pay more

any ideas ? Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet it's v7, TomTom would be foolish to offer v8 or they'd never sell the x30's!

I'll seek clarification.
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'll bet it's v7, TomTom would be foolish to offer v8 or they'd never sell the x30's!

I'll seek clarification.

that would be great thanks Darren Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have received the response. If you but any x20 now then the LMG (Latest Map Guarantee) will provide a v8 map.

So you could buy an x20, update the firmware to v8 free of charge and use the LMG and end up with a functionally equivalent device to an x30. Not a bad deal at all!
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren so before I save myself £60 in getting the 520 instead of the 530 once I have the LMG does this mean I will have an identical product to the 530 (apart from the colour) will it have IQ and lane assist ??

is it to good to be true ? Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's correct. From the horses mouth.
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic £152.12 from amazon getting it ordered now cheers a bit of good news for a change Very Happy
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven0161 wrote:
fantastic £152.12 from amazon getting it ordered now cheers a bit of good news for a change Very Happy

Smile Smile hi,

just thought i would mention, just ordered a new Go 520 business edition from ebuyer today, was £169.99. now reduced to £130.00 Very Happy today,bargain Very Happy
littlevoices
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Ok, I have received the response. If you but any x20 now then the LMG (Latest Map Guarantee) will provide a v8 map.

So you could buy an x20, update the firmware to v8 free of charge and use the LMG and end up with a functionally equivalent device to an x30. Not a bad deal at all!

Just did this today.... got a new tomtom 920T and tried to use the 'latest map guarantee' to update my map from the current version on the device (710.1576) for Europe/North America to the latest version on the tomtom website - v8.10, however it tells me that 'I already have the latest version' when clearly I don't....

Any way to manually force my application to upgrade to the right version for this to happen? I've sent an email to tomtom support (and even tried to call)... but they aren't open at the weekend I see.

The reason I'm in a bit of a hurry is that I'm off to the USA next weekend and will be travelling during the week, so, thanks to the locking down of the tomtom to a single PC (believe this is the case?) I can't try this out during the week... so if it hasn't been resolved by the end of next week I won't be able to travel to the US using the latest maps.

Any advice?

PS: I saw this worrying comment on the tomtom website.. TomTom makes its commercial best efforts to ensure that all navigation devices are preloaded with the latest maps available at the time of production. The Latest Map Guarantee is valid for 30 days from the first usage of your navigation device; however, if TomTom deems that the preloaded map is more than 9 months old, TomTom reserves the right to refuse a free map update. Am I likely to be in trouble as I'm not sure how old the v7 maps are?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact them by phone first thing Monday morning 0845 161 0009 and explain what has happened, it is not unusuall for Home to play up this way, one other thought though, do you have the very latest version of Home installed to the PC as an old version might not be capable of seeing the newer maps, you can download Home from the TomTom web site to be sure it is the latest standard (this will probably be the first thing support tell you to do anyway).
Also don't let them mess you about with a single map upsdate, your device was supplied with two main maps, both require updating - this has happened to quite a few people from what I have read on the board - Mike
littlevoices
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Mike, Will do that then if there isnt a workaround!

I did update to the latest Home App (Downloaded from the website & fully updated the tomtom on starting... after the recommended backup)

How will they provide the maps, will they give me a code for the store.. or is there some other method for that?

thx
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post for me, though have been "lurking" for a while... great site.

I purchased a new Go 520 nearly a month ago, and after reading horror stories of failed map downloads, then protracted negotiations with Tom Tom by some unfortunate folks, I decided to use my "latest Map Guarantee" on Thursday afternoon 4th September... a few days before it expires next Tuesday... so duly downloaded map ver. 720 without a hitch....

Imagine my disappointment about three hours later, when I was browsing various sites, and found out that the ver. 810 maps had been released for the Go X20 devices... Sad

I have phoned Tom Tom support on Friday,.. yesterday... and the young lady asked me to supply my receipt, which I duly did on the Tom Tom support site... but that she could not promise anything.

My argument is, that I used the latest map guarantee on the day that the ver. 810 map was released, yet was offered the earlier map,.. which of course, I did not realise at the time... when I mentioned this on the phone, the young lady told me that their records showed my having downloaded the map two days earlier than I did ? ? ? ...

Fingers and toes are crossed, but as I am the guy who bought a Betamax recorder a fortnight before VHS became the industry standard, I am not going to hold my breath...

Alan.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reduce going over the same ground twice, from where AlandEi has posted on another forum, we've established that:

1. The date and time he downloaded the 7.2 maps will be listed in the TomTom Home download folder.

2. That if the maps were up on the TT servers on Thursday morning, and he downloaded them on Thursday afternoon, then AlandEi should be entitled to them, it's just a matter of convincing T customer services of that.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To reduce going over the same ground twice, from where AlandEi has posted on another forum,... Andy_P

Yes, will admit that I posted on the "Yournav" forum Andy... I am not usually a habitual "dual-poster" and sorry if I have bent the rules, but I decided to post on this forum as well, as some folks on this forum seem to have a direct line to Tom Tom... Smile ... who I thought may have more insight into this problem.

as I mentioned on the other forum, I do have the duly dated file in my Home download folder, but can't really see Tom Tom accepting that as proof, as if I were an unscrupioulus person I could have easily deleted an earlier one...

However.... it came to me last night to check my ISP account, and luckily Plusnet keep a daily record of usage on my account pages... and sure enough, on Tuesday, when Tom Tom claim that I downloaded the offending map, my total usage was 7.15 Mb... nowhere near the 161Mb that the map weighs in at... Whereas Thursday shows appropriate usage for that download.
So I have duly attached a copy of my Plusnet page to the correpondence I have open with Tom Tom... just have to wait and see what happens next week...

Quote:
2. That if the maps were up on the TT servers on Thursday morning, and he downloaded them on Thursday afternoon, then AlandEi should be entitled to them, it's just a matter of convincing T customer services of that.

Thank you for that encouraging comment Andy

Alan.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
I am not usually a habitual "dual-poster" and sorry if I have bent the rules,

No, that's not what I meant at all, I was just trying to help...
I thought that it would save time if people didn't have to ask the same questions again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: