Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with 720
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Problems with 720 Reply with quote

Hi guys quite new to TomTom stand alone, been using Garmin 350 and Garmin Street Pilot before that and Tomtom on Pocket PC just bought a 720 and have a few problems :
720 refuses to change the current location icon have tried several times but it remains on the standard arrow, keeps loosing the config file settings when it is connected to Home software, cannot connect to TomTom to plan routes if my 1gig card is in the slot must be removed to before it will work, smart gps does not seem to download using Home. there are a few other things quite not wright but these are the most important. big contrast from the Garmin which worked straight out of box and still does with no probs. Can anyone help with the above.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursor: Can you change to one of the other pre-installed ones without the SD card inserted?

What version of HOME are you using? Have you installed the version supplied with the 720?

What make/model of SD card are you using?
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With SD card removed it still refuses to change to any of the other location cursers The make of the SD card is Transcend. The Home ver. is 1.6 hope this helps.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulls wrote:
With SD card removed it still refuses to change to any of the other location cursers The make of the SD card is Transcend. The Home ver. is 1.6 hope this helps.

Have you installed HOME from the CD supplied with the 720?
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i did not use the ver. on the CD I had installed it previously before I purchased the 720 using a download from TT website, but when I connected the 720 for the first time it downloaded an update from TT
gunmetalgrey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I too downloaded the tomtom Home from the website initially (rather than installing it from my CD) and it performed a self update. I also experienced problems of it not working correctly with my unit. I then uninstalled it and installed the version off the CD that came with the 720. For some wierd reason it does seem to work better (ie actually connecting properly with the unit now). I did experience some issues with SD cards, but that is mentioned elsewhere in a thread. It was kinda strange seeing that the version that was initially downloaded and updated is the same as the one off the CD, ie 1.6 (forgot the build and month off the top of my head)..I would probably try and uninstall and reinstall off the CD and see whether that helps.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the odd problem with my 720, I too cannot change from the blue cursor to one of the other ones (just wanted to see how they would look), I've no SD card in the slot just the blank piece of plastic that came with the 720.

I keep on getting tips appearing on the screen even though I have it disabled.

On the voice preferences when I select 'Disable Voice' when I have the computer voice Kate selected I still get her telling me which way to turn when I have a route selected. When I have Jane selected with 'Disable Voice' I don't hear her. Shouldn't it also be quiet when I've got Kate on the go?

When I have Jane selected with 'Disabled Voice' and the POI alerts sound it pauses my MP3s which are being sent to my radio by the FM transmitter, is there anyway to stop my MP3s being interrupted?

I also got the noise from the 720 when I disconnected from Home, the Home I have installed is the one I got with the 720 CD and I uninstalled my previous copy of Home before installing.

Others have commented on their POI alerts being reset whenever they upgraded their Go via Home, I've always suffered with this problem which is annoying to say the least, although it's not done it on my 720.

On the plus side the old bug of 'Preparing a Route' has been fixed and doesn't calculate the route from where you actually are which allows you to adjust the route.

When I press the clear route button it asks me to confirm this with either a yes or no, on my 700 I didn't have this, does anyone know if I can disable the yes or no option?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:

On the plus side the old bug of 'Preparing a Route' has been fixed and doesn't calculate the route from where you actually are which allows you to adjust the route.

What bug is that then? Question
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
MrRubberGloves wrote:

When ever you planned a route from A to B when you were at C it worked fine but when you went to main screen TomTom then worked out the route from C to B (if you get my drift) which meant that you couldn't adjust the A to B route.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
MrRubberGloves wrote:

It's the bug that stops you navigating to anywhere from where you are. Very useful when you don't want to go anywhere from where you are. I think. But I could be wrong - I never actually enabled it on my devices. Cool I think it also prevented you from coming back to where you are from where you aren't.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POI alerts and Navigation prompts will allways over ride the mp3 plater, at the end of the day the device's pimary function is that of a navigation aid.
Clear Route has required a Yes/ No confirm for quite some time on the x10 and newer devices.
Not too sure why you cannot select a different cursor though, this should be a simple selection - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:

When ever you planned a route from A to B when you were at C it worked fine but when you went to main screen TomTom then worked out the route from C to B (if you get my drift) which meant that you couldn't adjust the A to B route.

You shouldn't have gone to the main screen then! That implies you'd finished with your advanced planning and wanted to go back to the real world. It's exactly the same with the 720, but what they HAVE done is ADD the facility to calculate an alternative.

It wasn't a bug, just not a very useful feature (It was only ever intended to show of the unit in shop displays anyway) that they've now improved.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
You shouldn't have gone to the main screen then! That implies you'd finished with your advanced planning and wanted to go back to the real world. It's exactly the same with the 720, but what they HAVE done is ADD the facility to calculate an alternative.

It wasn't a bug, just not a very useful feature (It was only ever intended to show of the unit in shop displays anyway) that they've now improved.

So how would you insert a via once you've set from A to B or recalculate the route, you couldn't, you could only do it if the Go had no signal which was no good if you were outside.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ain't going to fight about it, but I repeat, it wasn't a bug. If you managed to put in a "via" on an advanced planning route, you weren't supposed to be able to. It was called A TO B planning after all.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I ain't going to fight about it

Fight, are you having a laugh? Laughing

A couple of more errors I've found.

1, When playing around with my 720 when connected to Home if I try to update the 720 some items in my Quick Menu Preferences disappear.

2, When you press Help Me and the Phone For Help and then Emergency Services the preset number is 112 instead of 999.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: