Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thames Valley satnav thefts advice from old bill
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thames Valley satnav thefts advice from old bill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Thames Valley satnav thefts advice from old bill Reply with quote

See

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news/default.asp?dismode=article&artid=11748
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Insp Mick Park, Local Police Area Manager for South Bucks, said: “Drivers must take care not to leave sat navs and laptops in their cars - even if these items are concealed they can still give off a signal, alerting thieves to their whereabouts.”

I wonder what signal my satnav gives off? Or my laptop, for that matter, when it is switched off. At least he isn't a detective. Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder what signal my satnav gives off? Or my laptop, for that matter, when it is switched off. At least he isn't a detective.

They whisper gently to passing thieves and junkies "Steal me, Steal me, go on, you know you want to. I'm under the passenger seat....." Well known fact. Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I wonder what signal my satnav gives off? Or my laptop, for that matter, when it is switched off. At least he isn't a detective. Rolling Eyes

I think there was a debate about this a while ago. I think they are talking about bluetooth, but sounds like FUD spreading to put the frighteners on people.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think there was a debate about this a while ago. I think they are talking about bluetooth,

When it switched off??

If it was intended to put the fighteners on people then its stupid - it just breeds ignorance and when people find out its a lie they mistrust the source.
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Emissions from satnav Reply with quote

Perhaps one of manufacturers whom I assume watch this board, can give definitive answer on this.
The suggestion to leave glove box open shows how Police have their priorities wrong!

In same vein should we leave our front doors open to make it easier for these low lifes Embarassed

I do recall on a TV Prog that it was suggested by TV Police that satnavs/laptops could be identified by a device used in the home to detect cabling.

Guess I should experiment/see what tanspires. Razz
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Emissions from satnav Reply with quote

peasemore wrote:
...I do recall on a TV Prog that it was suggested by TV Police that satnavs/laptops could be identified by a device used in the home to detect cabling...

That couldn't work as those devices are based on a rebounded signal and only work to a shallow depth. A best it would pick up the metal in the doors, roof, bonnet, ... Oh look theres a car!

It's opertunist, even if it is only a possability of a score. If they break into five cars, chances are at least one will have something they can sell.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, a quick search and I found this thread with a long and sometimes heated discussion!

Wink

edit: url fixed by PaulB2005
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I wonder what signal my satnav gives off? Or my laptop, for that matter, when it is switched off. At least he isn't a detective. :roll:

Actually PC's do transmit RF data, and they are detectable by scanners which can collect transmitted data. I don't know if this is true of SATNAV equipment, but logic dictates that it probably would be when used from a PDA, and therefore possibly from 'all in one' units.
An easy way to demonstrate this is by using a radar detector (if you have one). When you pass by banks and some petrol stations you will get an alert, and that is why there is usually a special setting for built up areas.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Google search using the word Tempest that will frighten you as to what levels of spying can be employed when "sniffing" for the RF given off by electronic devices - and the associated costs involved trying to defeat this threat - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:
When you pass by banks and some petrol stations you will get an alert, and that is why there is usually a special setting for built up areas.

That is because many of the door openers are actually Radar transmitters, though they are usually X-Band so you can tune them out on good detectors.

ALL electrical equipment gives out electromagnetic interference, but I really can't see that the crooks are sophisticated enough to have something to detect this and that they would actually use it to locate and identify sat nav equipment as the Police are suggesting.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
...but I really can't see that the crooks are sophisticated enough to have something to detect this...

More likly to sell some sophisticated scanning equiptment to pay for their next score, than use it.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: