Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Odd things happening with maps!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd things happening with maps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Odd things happening with maps! Reply with quote

Last year I upgraded my TT1 old version from the supplied UK map to the UK and Western Europe map which I had heard was more accurate as it is compiled by a different company and I paid for this upgraded map through the TT website. There were numerous errors I had discovered in my fairly low use on the original map and most of these seem to have been addressed with the UK &WE version, though the long foreign names appearing in the index since were a bit of a pain. However, since connecting to TTHome earlier this month it upgraded everything for me and appears to have upgraded the map also (free), though it now seems to contain a stupid amount of errors in just my local residential area which were perfectly OK on the previous two versions of the map. Also when planning routes now it does not use the best routes at all and prefers to take me miles out of my way to use a motorway going in the rough general direction of my destination, rather than the dual carriage way I live right by which goes direct to the destination. Crying or Very sad

Can anyone please explain how I have got a 'free' map which still includes WEurope, but with a worrying amount of duff info for this country and any other info about this whole scenario.

Oddly, in one traffic calmed zone with three mini roundabouts in very close proximity are now included so that by the time Jane has finished telling me to cross the roundabout 6 times I am about quarter mile past them Laughing

Much appreciated for your time Smile
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I know the answer to your question, but it would help anyone who might have an explanation if we knew exactly what version number of the maps you are using.

Tap the satellite strength meter on the main screen, then the Version number area on the next screen. You will now see a new screen giving lots of details about the software version of your TomTom. Part of it will tell you what version of the map you are using (Mine says "UK and IE plus major roads of WE 1409 v675.1409" - it's the v675.1409 bit that is important.)

Also, what maps have you currently got installed on your TomTom? Go to Change Preferences ... Manage Maps ... Switch Map, and tell us what you see on this screen.
Pokle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes Embarassed Sorry about that Laughing I will have a look when I get home tonight and let you know Smile
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are getting MapShare updates through. If so, you will probably be seeing streets that are blocked or unblocked in one or both directions.
Brodit ProClip mount
Pokle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Not sure I know the answer to your question, but it would help anyone who might have an explanation if we knew exactly what version number of the maps you are using.

Tap the satellite strength meter on the main screen, then the Version number area on the next screen. You will now see a new screen giving lots of details about the software version of your TomTom. Part of it will tell you what version of the map you are using (Mine says "UK and IE plus major roads of WE 1409 v675.1409" - it's the v675.1409 bit that is important.)

Also, what maps have you currently got installed on your TomTom? Go to Change Preferences ... Manage Maps ... Switch Map, and tell us what you see on this screen.

Sorry for the delay in getting back - Christmas got in the way!

The map is UK and IE plus major roads of WE v675.1409
The map in use us UK and IE plus majore roads of WE.

My dad has the same device as me and he had to pay for an updated map so I really don't know why I got this one for free and it has so many stupid errors on it.

The route planning is terrible on it now and quickest route sometimes uses tiny country roads for miles and when I am in my camper which has terrible acceleration and deceleration usually means a speed of about 35mph! Any ideas please? Or will I have to reinstall the old map from a backup (hoping I still have it) or buy the new one?

Thoughts please.... Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are being confused by the way "Home" presents the information.

When you connect to present versions of Home it often "recommends" a map you have already bought. (My copy of Home has FINALLY stopped offering to re-download an old UK map I bought a YEAR AGO, for a machine I don't even own any more.

If the map you have now is v675, you have NOT been given a new one, just re-downloaded the one you had before. You probably won't believe what I've just said, but without you being able to tell us what the version number of the "previous" map was, we can't prove anything. Do you have proper backups of EVERY stage. If so, we can find a version number in one of the accompanying files in the map folder.
Other confusions are that you said you had upgraded to a map of Western Europe, but you now say that you are using a UK map that has just the major roads of Europe (known as a "plus" map).
As far as I know only the FULL Europe map for the One New Edition was made by Navteq, the "other" mapping company you mentioned.

What in all likelihood HAS changed is that you have installed the new v7 SOFTWARE (check that by tapping the signal strength bars and reading it on the following page), and that will make the way the map works somewhat different.
On of the things v7 software does, is put a little country flag beside the address search, so it only searches in the country you've selected.

As for why your map has errors that weren't on the previous one, that's one of the long-standing questions. There are loads of previous posts on the subject where SPECIFIC examples are compared between versions.

Let us know if you have backup copies of all your maps and we will hopefully be able to sort out some of the confusion.
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I coupled to Home yesterday and was presented with an update for my TT One classic which I downloaded through Home and installed! Then my One said I hadn't any maps installed, but they were there when I went into what is installed on my devise in Home! after trying usuccesfully with it connected and unconnected I gave up, Formatted the card and reinstalled the backup, after which the update never reapeared in the Home download folder?
Tom Tom a great product with terrible software problems and crap customer service What a shame!
dunc
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunc, what software version have you got currently working on the TomTom device? and what is the map version installed - Mike
Pokle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a few discoveries here by re-nstalling back-up copies I had - the maps seem to contain the same errors in street names (just I had never noticed them before).

Running the old software with it presently is taking me the better routes on a couple of journeys I have planned. I am about to update the rest of the stuff and try it at each stage to see what happens. Rolling Eyes Driving me mad this is!

Thanks for you replies though Smile
Pokle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next update: I have now updated the software bit on it and now says:
App 7.462 (8492/071121 OS:2327
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.0500
Map: UK_and_IE_plus_major_roads_of_WE v675.1409

This seems to be the culpit which has increased the options available such as report map errors and help me functions, but now plans routes to be less efficient than the previous version, whereby Quickest Route, seems to use (on the journey I have planned) lots of country lanes, instead of relatively straighter, more major roads with less built up areas to drive thorugh.

Is the end of the better route planning? I know the roads are National Speed Limit, but really they would be too dangerous to drive at higher speeds on, and the number of little villages it took me through really increased the travelling time considerably.

Perhaps the next update will back to like it was... Crying or Very sad
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

TTOne device AK*** B2***
App 7.162
Map Western_Europe_1GB
v710.1561
By the way Mike any advance on the euro pmo speed camera voice instead of the beep and bongs!
Regards dunc

Device Code edited - Oldboy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunk wrote:

By the way Mike any advance on the euro pmo speed camera voice instead of the beep and bongs!

I think you'll find there is already a Euro speed alerts version (using the "Kate" voice) on the ogg files collections page (near the bottom).
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-ogg-files.php
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is PMobile warning sounds that Dunc wants, I have got the files on the PC, but they need trimming to get rid of the silent portions at the start and end points as yet - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... I thought "pmo" was just a typo....
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike There is no hurry! Just wondered how it was coming along
dunc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: