Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does anyone know what to do with these postcodes files?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know what to do with these postcodes files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know what to do with these postcodes files? Reply with quote

I have downloaded the postcode files from this site and they are sitting on my Ipaq's SD card in the same folder as "Great_Britain Navigator maps".
I am desperate to know what to do now:-

1. Do I have to do anything else with these files i.e. are they in the right place?

2. If they are in the right place, how exactly do you use them in TTN2 and where exactly will I find them?

Simple step-by-step (idiot proof) instructions would be really appreciated!!
Many thanks.

Tom
Devices
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are just POI's so this is how i do it. Use the "Navigate To" option then "Point Of Interest". You may have to then choose "more". You should see a list of all your POI files. Choose the Codesearch file that has the beginning of your postcode in it, then you should have all the postcodes listed, type in your postcode remembering the space in the middle. Thats it, easy as that.

Smile
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Devices.
Well I have just clicked on "Navigate to" and then "Point of Interest" then I get a screen with 6 icons on it Petrol Station, Restaurant, Open Parking, Parking Garage, Airport and More..
I click on "More" and I have a page with a large Alpha keypad and a list of subjects from Aiport to Zoo.
Nothing else - certainly not "other"? Where is "other"?

I'm sure I will crack this eventually!!!

Cheers Tom
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember what format the files are supplied in, but if they're zip files, you need to unzip them into your map folder. For each category you should have a .ov2 file and a .bmp file in your map folder.

Once you have that, exit TomTom Navigator 2 (don't just press the X button - use the Exit option on the File menu, or the equivalent on the Navigator menu) and try again.

The other possibility is that you've got a very old version of Navigator 1 installed - you need an up to date version to have POI support. If this is the problem, reply, and I'll try to find the download link for Navigator 1 1.53.

David
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eureka!!!
Well I deleted TTN2 from my Ipaq and SD card and reinstalled the whole thing and have just loaded one of the postcode files and it's all there in POI - brilliant - I have just picked out a few random companies from my local yellow pages and used just the postcodes and true enough TTN2 given full instructions to each address. i don't know why they were in POI before but never mind they are now.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Cheers Tom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: