Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 2720: Update Internal Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 2720: Update Internal Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kweller
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Garmin 2720: Update Internal Maps Reply with quote

I was sure someone would have asked this before but I can't find it, so:

My Brother has my old Garmin 2720 which came with City Navigator v8. The update to v9 was delivered yesterday so we paid for the unlock and attempted to upgrade. The PC upgrade was a bit tortuous as Garmin didn't seem to have transferred the unit details to his My Garmin account despite telling me they had but we eventually got that sorted out and Mapsource is now using the new version.

Updating the maps on the unit itself totally defeated me. When I tried to transfer the maps Mapsource attempted to put them in free space on internal memory rather than overwriting the old version. I've trawled the Garmin support knowledge base, read the printed manual and downloaded and read the one from the Garmin site as well but I still have no idea how to do it.

Will someone put me out of my misery and explain the process please?

Thanks.

Kevin
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the same problem with my 2720 I phoned Garmin and they emailed me a patch and destructions on how to do it

I still have the patch but not the instructions

Best to ring them it made it so simple

You have to upgrade the maps straight from the dvd or cd not via the pc

Hope this helps

Name rings a bell not on the FJ forum are you

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
kweller
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll do that.

tomthompson wrote:
[snip] Name rings a bell not on the FJ forum are you

I certainly am Smile.

Kevin
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah see a small world my other persona is Tontofjr

kweller
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the 'madman with the knife'!!! ;-)

I think the world shrinks a bit more every day.

(email's in to Garmin BTW)

Kevin
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are better to do it by phone

Garmin Uk is based in Southampton and they have support there

They sometimes take a while to answer the phone but I never had an email answered by them

Garmins site has their Tel No in the UK

Oh and if you use the Beta version of POIloader with the pocketgps speed camera database you get spoken warnings , much better and annoying than the bongs Wink

kweller
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
You are better to do it by phone

Garmin Uk is based in Southampton and they have support there

They sometimes take a while to answer the phone but I never had an email answered by them

Garmins site has their Tel No in the UK

Oh and if you use the Beta version of POIloader with the pocketgps speed camera database you get spoken warnings , much better and annoying than the bongs Wink

I find they usually respond to email after a couple of days but I'll take your advice.

Despite being a PocketGPS speed camera database subscriber I had the Garmin speed camera database on the machine as it seems to include France as well. I say 'had' as I've taken it back off again because I can't stand the damn thing going bong! bong! bong! all the way through a camera area. It's bad enough when there's no music playing but when it is it drives me mad! Shame really as the DB is obviously rather useful.

Kevin
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 2720: Update Internal Maps Reply with quote

kweller wrote:
I was sure someone would have asked this before but I can't find it, so:

Updating the maps on the unit itself totally defeated me. When I tried to transfer the maps Mapsource attempted to put them in free space on internal memory rather than overwriting the old version. I've trawled the Garmin support knowledge base, read the printed manual and downloaded and read the one from the Garmin site as well but I still have no idea how to do it.
Will someone put me out of my misery and explain the process please?
Thanks.
Kevin

Hi Kevin
Sorry, but had to smile when I read your post.... brought back painful memories trying to update my 2720 from v8 to v9. I fully sympathize and empathize with you.

I did the same as you describe, followed instructions, read everything etc..etc..
Actually, the maps cannot be updated through MapSource, which logically one would try to do, especially as MapSource opens after what looks like the end of the process; if you do, MapSource will tell you that there is not enough memory and will save a smaller map set to another part of the GPS's memory.

Garmin's instructions are to insert the CD and follow onscreen prompts.
When I put the CD in, it would update and start Mapsource only; and apart from it not taking long enough, checking the About screen on the GPS, it was clear that nothing had loaded to the GPS.

There is apparantly an automatic process (on the CD) that checks your unit and uploads to the GPS direct from the CD. I tried a number of times pressing "Next... Next... ", also resetting the unit, etc. But it would always do the same thing.

Suddenly, after hours of tries and use of unusual english, ango-saxon and other languages I never though I knew, BINGO there appeared another screen and the upload to GPS began.

TO THIS DAY I do not know how or why it suddenly started the upload process - it could be the phase of the Moon, the exact position of Mars, or some of the words were part of some ancient secret unknown incantation to the gods of GPS and Garmin.... who knows!

There was then a message box on the screen that it would take more that 1:30 hours. I crept out of the room in case my footsteps would make the CD skip a track or whatever (desperation). When I returned, eagerly switched on the monitor, and there was another message - that the update had failed! (more anglo-saxon, etc).

HOWEVER on checking the GPS, it looked like everything had actually loaded - pressing Settings/About/Detail Maps showed "City Navigator Europe NT v9". Was this VICTORY at last?

By then it was 5am on Sunday having started on Saturday afternoon and that is where I have left it. That was earlier this year and as far as I can tell, everything is normal. Since then I have used the 2720 extensively in the UK, France, Belgium, etc and it has always got me to the destination.

This message may not have solved your problem, but hopefully helps you to take heart, do not lose hope, do not despair and to let you know that you are not alone, there is atleast one other who bears the same scars.
I await the update to v10 with mixed feelings....

The fact that Garmin sent tomthomson a patch and some instructions (that they obviously had pre-prepared) means that they know that there is a bug in there somewhere or that it doesn't work with all configurations.

Would be useful to know what answer you get from Garmin

Best Regards
CDK
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the bulldog spirit , plug away until it surrenders.

But if anyone wants the easy way then I still have the update patch and instructions . They are headed update i3 but it was sent to me for the 2720 and it was so simple.

Wink

kweller
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both. I managed to finally sort this out yesterday when I was over at my Brother's.

Someone elsewhere had told me I needed to boot the DVD with the unit connected. We did that on Thursday (I think, it's all a blur!) and I talked him through the sequence based on what the menus said and, once it said it would take over an hour, left it running while he went out. Our experience then mirrored CDK's in that it 'failed' with an error message.

I was over there this weekend and was able to check it out and confirm v9 was loaded. Phew!

No response from Garmin to my email BTW.

I just realised that my little rant about the speed camera database is misplaced here. The 2720 can be told to ding once at the start of a speed camera area then be quiet. It's my Zumo 550 that can't so I've had to disable the audible warning which is not good as I tend not to look at the screen but that's better than being driven mad by the damn thing dinging!

Kevin
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted at last Kweller,

You need to check the postings on POIloader because its possible with the Zumo now to have spoken warnings I think using the PGPS speed database . Then the only time that it keeps repeating is if your over the speed for that camera .

It can be done with the 2720 but for that you have to use a beta version of POIloader as the 2720 has to use .wav sound files and the latest POIloader now uses mp3 files . The possibilities are endless make your choice

Wink

kweller
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
[snip]I think using the PGPS speed database . Then the only time that it keeps repeating is if your over the speed for that camera
Yes, that's the issue! It repeats even if one is only slightly over the speed limit and I really don't want it to. I want it to ding once at the beginning of the speed camera area so I know there's one about then leave it my own judgement (as it was possible to set on the 2720).

Kevin

Last edited by kweller on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked Ashes speed camera software . Dont know if it works with the Zumo but it was good on the 2720 especially as you can add 10% on top of the posted speed for overspeed warnings .

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: