Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Loads of camersa demolished but still in POI database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Loads of camersa demolished but still in POI database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NW11851
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Loads of camersa demolished but still in POI database Reply with quote

Hi

This is my first post in these forums, so please bear with me.

Every couple of years I travel long stretches of the A14/A11 in Suffolk from east of Bury St Edmunds to and along the A11 towards the M11.

A couple of years ago there were loads of GATSO-type camera littering the route.

These all appear in the POI database which I download from PocketGPSWorld on a fairly regular basis.

Yesterday, 28 June, I travelled from the west side of Bury St Edmunds, along the A14/A11 to the M25. My TT GO gave dozens of warnings but I did not see a single GATSO. There was one set of blue Trafficmaster cameras and one camera hanging off a bridge which I believe to be a police traffic monitoring device.

Have all these speed cameras really been removed?

Why are they all still in the POI database?

How do I submit a 'deletion' for all of these camera?

Will I get a credit for each of these deletions - as I would if I had added them?

Really puzzled by it all.

Regards

David
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Submit their removal at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&referer=SideBar

But first

Quote:
My TT GO gave dozens of warnings but I did not see a single GATSO.

Where they all GATSO warnings or where some Mobile (or pMobile) warnings??
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of the database are you using? Single file, Consolidated by Type or Speed Zoned?

I suspect you are using the Single file version. Having had a look at the map of the route you took, there is one Gatso camera along here and several mobile sites. My guess is that this is what was giving your warnings. These should not be removed unless yuo know that mobile cameras are never located here.
NW11851
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the replies.

As it happened both ways, I was careful to persue the locations on the Westwards return trip.

THere were a couple of places where it would have been possible to place a police/mobile camera but most of them were just plain stretches of road.

I imagine Suffolk Police have demolished the GATSOs and gone for mobile camera and the single-file database is still giving warnings for non-existing spots.

I'll be going out there again in Oct/Nov so will pay particular attention to trying to locate the specific locations whilst careering along at 70mph.

Thanks again.

David
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is working as it is supposed to.

NW11851 wrote:

I imagine Suffolk Police have demolished the GATSOs and gone for mobile camera and the single-file database is still giving warnings for non-existing spots.

THAT'S your confusion!

The single file version of the database INCLUDES all the mobile sites, but because the TomTom has no way of showing more than one alert for a single file, they will ALL show with the same icon and sound (and so you have no way of telling what they should be). Obviously 99% of the mobile sites won't have a camera van there at any one time.

That is why the other versions are available. Install the 'consolidated by type' version and the TT will tell you if it is a mobile site or a fixed camera of several types. Install the 'speed-zoned' version and it will tell you all that plus the speed limit too.
NW11851
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah so. javascript:emoticon('Sad')
Sad Sad

I will reload/update my TT GO during the course of the next few days and install the various separate files instead.

THank you all.

Best Wishes

David
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can have a different warning distance for each camera type. I have 0.5 miles for mobile ones.

Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Loads of camersa demolished but still in POI database Reply with quote

NW11851 wrote:
I download from PocketGPSWorld on a fairly regular basis.
Just in passing, what do you call "fairly regular"? Nowadays, the database is re-published every couple of weeks or so - there have been THIRTEEN update issues in 2007 to date (even thought the pgpsw guy who does it has had holidays) and the fourteenth will probably come out before the end of July. If my suspicion is correct and you don't download every time, be aware that the latest changes which you haven't downloaded just might be the missing pieces in your jigsaw.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: