Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where is the speed camera info on my One XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the speed camera info on my One XL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joefinan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Where is the speed camera info on my One XL Reply with quote

Just bought a new Tom Tom One XL Europe which apparently comes with speed camera info 'pre-installed'. Well - I can't find it!

It doesn't say anything as I drive past any of the mant speed cameras in my area, nor can I find any options in the various menus.

Can anyone help?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes with Tom Tom speed cameras, which you activate by going into the PLUS menu.

Before you are tempted to subscribe (which you have to in order to get updates) consider the alternative, namely the cameras from this site - the pgpsw database is bigger and better and you can configure it to have various distances for the warnings AND different warnings (sundry sounds or even spoken warnings).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
joefinan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply but I must be being really thick. The only PLUS account bit I can find is in the preferences menu named "Edit PLUS account" which, when I click on it, says that Bluetooth is disabled. But why would I need Bluetooth to access something that's preinstalled??
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT activate the tt cameras, use the ones here, they are better and cost a lot less, plus you get all the help from lots of users with loads of experience, as a simple test e-mail tt customer support and see if you get a quick response like you did here Wink
joefinan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say the ones here cost a lot less - but I thought my TT came with them pre-installed (like it says on the box) so they shouldn't cost anything!!

Or am I being really, really thick?
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joefinan wrote:
You say the ones here cost a lot less - but I thought my TT came with them pre-installed (like it says on the box) so they shouldn't cost anything!!

Or am I being really, really thick?
the cameras change position frequently so the data base you have will be out of date very soon, obviously the fixed cameras dont move, but there are temporary cameras, new mobile sites and positions and new specs positions every month, so it pays to keep upto date. i'm pretty sure your tt has an introductory offer of 3 months cameras, mine did, but i never activated it as this site has a better database..there are others but i have found this one to be more comprehensive and they are fully mod able Wink
joefinan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I was being thick. I've found them!

Thanks all.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being a bit obtuse - I was replying on the basis that all Tom Toms are very much alike.
I have a TT GO710. The item you're looking for is not in the preferences. For me it's on the third menu page (Tap screen, Tap right arrow twice) icon called Tom Tom PLUS services, where you will find Safety camera warnings, then Show safety cameras and Enable warnings. That'll get them going for you. Notice the other choices whilst you are there. This gets the free pre-installed ones going. They are at least as out of date as when they were originally installed on your device - how long has it been waiting for you to buy it? gardenshed is in my opinion right. But you can see for yourself how good or otherwise the TT cameras are by enabling them. But then, like I said, before you sign up to pay for them from Tom Tom, consider the alternative here. I HAVE tried the TT ones (free, not subscribed) and found them very poor - they have maybe half as many as here and you can't set them up to your own liking, unlike the pgpsw ones. Oh, and I understand they cost more from TT than the pgpsw ones.

The bluetooth business is about getting TT Plus services via your bluetooth mobile phone (Traffic, weather, I dunno what-all) which of course you subscribe for. You can't edit your PLUS account until you've got one and you can't get one until you've connected via bluetooth.

rebootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, so call me thick as well. I am just about to purchase the XL Europe although im not sure if the UK would be better, all to do with sd card. So where abouts here do I go to sign up for this better deal? I thought £19 a year at tomtom was good. Cheers

KK
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom deal is € 29.95 for a year (just over £20)

The PGPSWorld version is £2 a month to try it out, or £19 a year It is more customisable and has a lot more cameras / camera types.

See "registration" and "subscription" in red text in the "Help" box on the left of this and every page.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebootuk wrote:
Hi all, so call me thick as well. I am just about to purchase the XL Europe although im not sure if the UK would be better, all to do with sd card. So where abouts here do I go to sign up for this better deal? I thought £19 a year at tomtom was good. Cheers

KK
Top right of every page, under the PocketGPSWorld black banner, see the word "join". Tom Tom's subscription is closer to £22 than £20 (I said that just to wind Andy up - he's probably better at sums than me).

Buy the ONE XL Europe, then do a trial of the TT cameras (you get an even cheaper one month trial with them - it's FREE). Then if you feel there's a chance that it's the rubbish which we've all found out already, come back here, click "join" and try this one for one month for £2. If you don't find it better then the TT ones, you can go back and subscribe to TT and you'll only have lost £2. Do all that and we'll call you bright, not thick.

If you buy the ONE XL Europe and don't back it up before you do anything else, we'll all definitely call you thick!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: