Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC help/info please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC help/info please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iuw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: TMC help/info please Reply with quote

I recently aquired a Navman F30 which has the T1 TMC receiver.

My questions are:-

Does this service cover the whole country?

Does it transmit data all the time or intermittantly?

Here in this area (mid Gloucestershire) absolutely nothing seems to haapen with this setup.

Am I using it wrongly? or is there no service? the info in the paperwork is sparse to say the least.

Thanks

Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navman RDS-TMC system uses information supplied by iiTIS who transmit the data using Classic FM radio stations.
The data supplied is regional but will cover a fairly large area as you move around the country the device will re-tune to a different transmitter thus receiving data more pertinant to your position.
The problem with Classic FM is one of coverage the signals are often too weak to be picked up, this is further compounded if your vehicle has athermic glass as this further attenuates the allready weak signal. The answer it to connect the T1 receiver to an external aerial or even the existing car aerial is known to provide dramatic improvement in terms of reception.
On the device you should see a TMC box this is the indication the receiver is functional:
Grey/ Blue means the unit is scanning for a signal
Green means signal acquired with no problems on route
Red means expect a hold up on route
To get the most from the device you need to configure the TMC options with the device connected and powered up in the car, the options allow auto reroute to avoid hold up and such like - Mike
iuw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mike,

Funnily enough, Classic FM is fine on the car radio (Golf which uses the rear window heater as an antenna).

I get the blue box on-screen, but it never seems to change and there never seems to be any data in the list, likewise, no preferred stations listed.

Thanks
Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio reception of Classic is one thing the digital RDS data requires a much stronger signal to work effectivley.
As you have a VW you can connect the T1 to the rear screen aerial but you will need a special addaptor in order to do this safely (VW card use an amplifier to boost the signal which requires a 12V feed that is supplied via the radio - connection to the T1 will damage the unit unless you use the correct kit, it is much easier to connect a Maplin mini scan aerial to the device which is a mag mount unit, this will work better than coupling to the heated rear window - Mike
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an F20 and I purchased the T1 Traffic Unit seperately.
What I did to get it to work was to buy an external magmount aerial with a Garmin lead to connect aerial to T1 and now my T1 works perfectly.
You have to lay out about another £ 30 to £ 35 but as least it will work after that.
I must just add that I live and work in the South of England ( I could'nt tell you whether it will / won't work any differently in Mid-Gloucestershire )
No doubt people on this forum will be able to help you with that.
iuw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

Interesting info...I will give it a little longer before taking more action. I am by profession a radio systems engineer, but not entertainment radio!

Thanks again
Roger
iuw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I just made up a couple of adaptors and connected the T1 to our domestic VHF antenna (in the loft space) the T1 straight away jumped into life a gave quite a list of data....

I think a mimi-scam mag-mount may be the way to go.

Thanks all for the info

Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, The Sky Scan is a better bet as the frequency range extends down to 25MHz, the Mini-Scan base frequency starts at 100MHz which is right where you need it to work (Classic FM uses 99,9 to 101,9)

The mini scan is great for its size and doesn't attract attention, since fitting the Sky Scan I have been asked quite a number of times by people wanting to know what it is for!! - Both work, but the larger aerial does work better when in a marginal area for coverage (like where I live) - Mike
iuw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mike,

They appear to be vertical co-linears so at, say 80mHz, the performance on recieve, will only be marginally down on its designed range....on transmit, howver, the VSWR is likely to be well outside the acceptable.

I now wish that I had hung-on to some of my amateur mobile kit!!!

Regards
iuw (Roger)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: