Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need help...Using my own pics, voice and video to make poi's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help...Using my own pics, voice and video to make poi's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simmo22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Need help...Using my own pics, voice and video to make poi's Reply with quote

Hi Rolling Eyes
I need help....Im wanting to create my own poi....meaning using my on pics, voice and videos...eg..when I drive past a local hotel, a voice mentions features of the hotel, even a picture and video associated to this poi is decribed....A tour guide function

Now how can I create a poi like that? My idea is to create various poi using my own audio, pic and videos.
Help please please please! :D
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it can be done with the current generation of sat nav Devices. They usually work on POI Groups rather than individual Locations.

However it might help if you gave some information about which Device you are talking about. ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
simmo22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found software called TomTom 6.010 SDK...This allows you to create any desired poi + design your own customer logo + your choice of audio etc.
This software seems to support a few 3rd party gps aswel as there own.

Its a Software Development Kit.....probably the same program used by speed camera poi suppliers

Q...anyone know what Im on about here?
Is anyone using software to create poi? (not the upload of exsisting poi...I can do that)
Garmin, TomTom, LG the list goes on....they all use a map source...who has ever add to there maps...I want to create a gps narrated tour. Knoe it can be done Check this link, http://www.hear-here.com/index.html

Can anyone assist as Im very keen to learn :P
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start, support for the SDK has been abandoned by TomTom, so anything you developed would not work on anything using software later than the present one, and there are new models launched in a few weeks that will be using a new version. Sorry.
The SDK has been used by several people to produce add-ons for the TT (e.g. "Tripmaster" http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/plugins.php?lang=uk and the people who put all the work into those are not impressed!

It's easy to change the icon and alert sound for a POI group, but I know of no way to have an individual one for each POI entry.
Although video playback has been achieved, it takes a huge drain on the processor, and (I think) you cannot run the normal navigation at the same time.

Up to now, no-one has found a way to alter the map contents themselves (although TomTom's imminent "MapShare" will allow you to, in a very limited way.

Although I applaud your inventiveness; for all the above, and many other reasons, I don't think it's going to work on a TomTom Go. PLEASE prove me wrong! Laughing
simmo22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy :D
I would be guessing that soon after TomTom 6 is replaced they will updated there SDK etc.....I could be wrong and as you suggested it would be a problem when updating hardware etc

Maybe a PDA might suit better?

There's campanies producing tour guide poi files....Please someone check this link....All I want to do is the same sort of thing.
http://www.intellitours.com/how.php
Intel say "Our computers use small GPS antennas to continuously fix their position. When the computer approaches a set of latitude and longitude coordinates stored in memory, the computer extracts multimedia files linked to that position, and plays it over a PA system or on that device (PDA)."

OK...I have contacted the CEO and he is happy to assist...when he returns from holidays! Lucky .

Anyone able to help with activating media files in a PDA or similar device dependant upon latitude and longitude coordinates?

I'm new and pushy but guy's I really trying to create some awesome media rich poi tours...for everyone to upload when they visit
Please is there a guru who can help.

Thanks again Andy

Cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simmo22 wrote:
Thanks Andy :D
I would be guessing that soon after TomTom 6 is replaced they will updated there SDK etc.....
As Andy pointed out earlier the SDK has been abandoned so don't expect a new release of code or newer SDK version.
As for the PDA route, yes that is a possibility, if you keep the application as standalone (the application could then be used in conjunction with other navigation software), it is possible to run two GPS fed programs on a single device at the same time, you will find problems with processor power on a number of PDA's though - Mike
simmo22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

Thanks mikealder.
The option of going with the sdk as you said is useless unless ongoing support is availiable. Crying or Very sad

Now I have borrowed a voxson voxtrack 250 Pocket pc
it has PocketPc 2003
55MB
ARM S3C2410
Detinator PN

Detinator PN seems to be a gps app that runs within the Micrsoft stuff..
Q. is there software which will run a multimedia file from a triggered poi, which could run with PocketPc etc?

Q. Any suggestion about which PDA's could handle the gps side of things while multimedia is running?

cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get the navigation software to trigger a media player file, what I would look into is a standalone application that can use the GPS for current position and specially built POI files that can play audio on the PDA.
As for processor power if you intend running this at the same time as the navigation software I wouln't try anything less than 400MHz, I have created GPS based applictions for my PDA's and what you are looking at isn't too difficult, the time would be mostly consumed creating suitable POI files with the data embedded in, the sound track could simply be a number of audio files (one per POI) that the application selects based on the individual POI name. The file size for something like this will however be huge, look at ogg format as wav files are too large in comparison - Mike
simmo22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Thanks mikealder Reply with quote

What your saying makes sence...off to investigate.
ogg format is something I've never heard of 8O
Thanks for the suggestion.
What do you use to write your PDA applications....basic editor?
I have no idea as yet
Cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen THIS POST that's just popped up?
The new Garmin "Tourguide" feature looks like just what you need.
simmo22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Glad I got a Nuvi
I have recently seen that feature...make my goal much easier
My wish is soon they will support video files to be played besides audio and pics...but hey they most likely will Laughing

I've noticed most major manufacturers are developing this feature eg...Navman has a device that allows decent poi creation + a camera 1.3 mpix built in Rolling Eyes
So I can now start my own peronal tour...poi triggering my choosen auido with pictures..minus video

Also the idea of placing imported logo/pic as identifiers for a poi on the map as you approach is a feature I'll work on

Everyone who has responded....Thankyou
In a few days I've gone from having no idea to having no idea....just kidding again thanks
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

simmo22 wrote:
Glad I got a Nuvi
I have recently seen that feature...make my goal much easier
See my signature...this may or may not help you in your quest Exclamation
simmo22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Great Reply with quote

Great work Phil...your site is simple, straight to the point...Thanks
With give it a test drive soon

Hey I just go this info
"You can attach any file which has a Windows association to another program
because it is Windows which will be asked by OziExplorer to open the file
and show/play it through the association.

You can attach a file to a waypoint and activate the file when you enter the
proximity zone around the waypoint. A Proximity zone can be specified in
waypoint properties."

I can use OziExplorer apps to trigger a MPEG!!! Laughing
So they said....I'll see If it a poi with pic, audio then MPEG working on my PDA and Nuvi

Too ways to go here if your with me....Using OziExplorer to create poi or on the nuvi.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Great Reply with quote

simmo22 wrote:
Two ways to go here if your with me....Using OziExplorer to create poi or on the nuvi.

If you take the PDA route, you could also investigate www.geovative.com/GeoToursMobile.asp

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: