Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poi's from SD card to TomTom910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poi's from SD card to TomTom910
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassillis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Poi's from SD card to TomTom910 Reply with quote

Hello all. First post on this forum and i need some help please?

Recently my old TomTom 300 drowned a la http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=45183. Embarassed
I managed to recover the SD card and it had retained all the information that i had placed onto it. I then managed to get it onto a reader so i can see the files on the SD card.
I had taken some hours to programme the 300 with all the major Fords in England and Wales onto a POI file, took me ages to do it so would like to have the info again.

Having looked at the info on the old SD card i have found an ov2 and a bmp file listed as Fords. These are 4kb and 2kb respectively. This doesn't seem much for all the info i put onto the 300?

How do i transfer the POI files relating to Fords from the old SD card to the new TomTom910 hard drive?

Thanks in advance
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, POI file are very small so I would say you have found the correct files in the map folder.

Simply copy the ov2 and bmp file named Fords to the PC.
Connect the 910 to the PC.
Copy the ov2 and bmp file from the PC to the Western & Central Europe map folder.

If you want warnings of these locations go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI.

Are these motor dealership locations or something else? have a look at the POI downloads page Here as you might find some other additional ones that are of use - don't exceed 100 Custom POI Categories though - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Are these motor dealership locations or something else? have a look at the POI downloads page

Laughing
Going by his link to "MudClubs", I read it as this sort of Ford:

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Going by his link to "MudClubs", I read it as this sort of Ford
That is why I asked the question, this sort of file would be really appreciated by the forum members on this site, if Cassillis is willing to submit the file to the site it could be hosted along with the hundreds of other POI files.

Click the link I gave earlier where you will find instructions and a link to submit such files - thanks - Mike
Cassillis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Are these motor dealership locations or something else? have a look at the POI downloads page

Laughing
Going by his link to "MudClubs", I read it as this sort of Ford:

Andy your correct and thanks Mike for the advice. I'm more than happy to let the forum have the file and will post it ASAP.

Here's what i mean

This is Duxford in Oxfordshire fording the Isis which used to be the old county boundry with Berkshire

I seem to have a problem with getting the file across. I have taken the file directly from the SD card and copied it to the western Europe map on the 910 and asked to be warned when near the POI but the 910 states no POI found. I even 'moved' the file as opposed to copy and still the same result.

What am i doing wrong Confused Embarassed
Cassillis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just been into the poi file on the 910 i notice they are all clusters of three eg

POI listing followed by TomTom.bmp
TomTom.ov2
TomTom.Ov2.ver

The files on the SD card do not have the Ov2.ver file extension, is this why i'm having trouble Question Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the files with the .ver extension are for the TomTom supplied Speed Cameras, they are not required for normal POI files such as your fords crossing point, I have sent you an e-mail - Mike
Cassillis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
the files with the .ver extension are for the TomTom supplied Speed Cameras, they are not required for normal POI files such as your fords crossing point, I have sent you an e-mail - Mike

Cheers. just about to send you a reply
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
That is why I asked the question, this sort of file would be really appreciated by the forum members on this site, if Cassillis is willing to submit the file to the site it could be hosted along with the hundreds of other POI files.

There already IS a POI file of fords on the database. It contains 1615 such fords. It's located under the Landmarks category. I can see somebody having a busy time trying to merge these two files and work out which entries are duplicates!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
if Cassillis is willing to submit the file to the site it could be hosted along with the hundreds of other POI files.
There is a Ford - Water Splash category already in existence on the POI Page.

There are 1615 entries and it's under Landmark. Don't know if it is the same thing.

Edit - Beat me to it. ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Cassillis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
mikealder wrote:
if Cassillis is willing to submit the file to the site it could be hosted along with the hundreds of other POI files.
There is a Ford - Water Splash category already in existence on the POI Page.

There are 1615 entries and it's under Landmark. Don't know if it is the same thing.

Thanks very much for the info, if i cant get mine sorted I'll go that route.
Thanks again
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your file installs and woks fine on my 910, as you have the files on the PC select both the ov2 and bmp file right click select "Copy" then use Windows Explorer to locate the 910 which will show as a seperate drive letter, open the drive and find the Western And Central Europe Map folder right click on that folder and select "Paste" - that is all I had to do and the 910 picked them up and used them - Mike
Cassillis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Your file installs and woks fine on my 910, as you have the files on the PC select both the ov2 and bmp file right click select "Copy" then use Windows Explorer to locate the 910 which will show as a seperate drive letter, open the drive and find the Western And Central Europe Map folder right click on that folder and select "Paste" - that is all I had to do and the 910 picked them up and used them - Mike

Okay Mike thanks for that, will give it a go.
Cassillis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now even I'm confused. The tomtom home programme can see the poi file on the hard drive but i still can't access it from the tom tom itself. Sad

Anyone want a 910 Evil or Very Mad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gone over the 100 user-added categories limit (as mentioned by Mike above)?

Count up the .ov files in your map folder. More than 100 = they start going missing at random.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: