Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 520 phone problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 520 phone problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c2rm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: GO 520 phone problem Reply with quote

Hi

I have tried searching for info in this issue but not really sure quite what to search for Confused

When using the handsfree setup during a call my tomtom has started locking up. The call seems to hang with the speaker looping through the last sound Mad

I can only turn the tomtom off by then holding the power button for over 60 secs when the system then resets itself.

The person on the other end of the call gets no indication other than the call just goes dead.

Is this a new problem, are there any fixes?

I am using a nokia 6300 which I know is not on the list, but it also happens with my wifes 6230i.

Thanks
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the club!! Sad

It has happened to 7 GO720s and a GO920 for me. I've even recorded it on my phone - Nokia 6230i. I exchanged my first 5 GO720s for that fault. You'll find it if you look far enough around this forum (there are so many faulty x20 series machines that it'll take you a while though). Not that it would do you any good finding them, because I have no idea what the cure might be (you should do a reset when it happens - not a cure, but needed to get it back to close to behaving). Except that as soon as I can, I'm going to offer to swap one of the 720s for the 700 I passed on to my son-in-law when I went to the 720s. I'm afraid I just gave up on taking them back for exchange. Some people have not had this fault, perhaps because they don't use hands free as often as I do, perhaps because they've got well-built devices. It happened to me twice yesterday - not funny trying to switch off for 60 seconds at 70mph on a motorway with that noise blasting out (I always use 100% volume). Actually I have found if you switch it off (and it goes to the shut down screen and seems to hang) then leave it, it will go off by itself and reboot (you just have to learn to tolerate the blasting until it shuts down). It loses many of my settings, current route, camera voice warnings and other stuff. When I say "annoying", I'm being polite - when it happens to me in the van I swear - not least because all my work comes via my phone and some customers don't appreciate being cut off and not called back for however long it takes to find somewhere safe to stop and do a reset!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
box2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=59908&highlight=

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=59960&highlight=

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=60286&highlight=

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=64417&highlight=

I've given up. Turned the bluetooth off and used the "spare" money from the difference in price (£300 when I bought my first 520, to £230 when I bought my last 720T) to buy a Parrot CK3100.

Unlike TomTom, it actually works.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

box2k2 wrote:
I've given up. Turned the bluetooth off and used the "spare" money from the difference in price (£300 when I bought my first 520, to £230 when I bought my last 720T) to buy a Parrot CK3100.

Unlike TomTom, it actually works.
Hey, thanks for this (sorry I never saw your earlier question on the other thread). I was under the impression that a TT was the only way of getting hands free as I like it, namely caller id, addressbook, recent calls etc, etc. But on the strength of what you say I've just spent a little time looking up the Parrots and have become interested. I'll look into them a bit more. Just two things - I'm no MikeAlder with screwdrivers and stuff and with a new van arriving within the next couple of weeks, I've no idea even how the radio will come out - don't they have special tool? Having said which, I've recently been capable of fitting a new hard disk in my PC. So the question is, will a thick, fat old OAP be able to cope with it? I see Halfords would fit one for free (at presumably higher price than I'd pay elsewhere!). Second, put through the FM radio, does that mean having the radio on all the time? Does it mean the TT then can't issue nav instructions through the radio?

Seems a shame to pay all that extra for a Parrot when the TT is supposed to handle it (and my GO700 was perfect at it). Evil or Very Mad

box2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

Can't speak for your van. I've got an X-type (company). Found a guide for getting the stereo out online. Just needed to pull two panels away and then its all screws.

Needed an ISO to Jaguar converter (a SOT cable - try autoleads.co.uk or autoleads.com)

Took me about 10 mins to rip the car the to bits and get the Parrot installed and test. Then about 2 hours to find nice places for the mic and screen and hide everything neatly (I'm a neat freak). Could have had it done in about 15 mins if I'd just stuffed it all in behind the dash.

The key to it is the SOT cable. Just unplug the wireing loom from the back of the stereo. Add SOT cable to it and connect SOT cable to stereo. You can now plug the Parrot into the SOT cable and you're done. Power, speakers, and mutes the stereo.

Ref the stereo and speakers: If a call comes in the Parrot mutes the stereo and uses the car speakers for the sound. My stereo does not have to be on. Obviously if your Satnav issues instruction through your radio, you won't hear anything while the call is in progress.

If you can be bothered the Parrot can also do voice recognition for the phone, just don't ask the caller to hang something up Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

box2k2 wrote:
Dennis,

Can't speak for your van...............................

Thank you - I didn't understand a word of it! I've seen that Halfords install for free, maybe I'll have to consider that. Or maybe I'll have to get an X-Type van and come read it all again? Or maybe meet MikeAlder down a dark alley? Or pay Renault £260 to do it in the new van?

Oh dear. Will it come out again when I buy the next new van in two years time? Oh dear.

Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In January, my 720 started entertaining me by locking up on hands free and repeating the last sound over and over.

I contacted TomTom support in January and went through the problems and tried no less than 7 bluetooth phones, reporting back on each phone, each having same problem with locking up, and this is their latest response.

==================================
Response (Collette H. (UK)) 03/03/2008 04.44 PM
Dear Mr *******

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

It is still being investigated. Our apologies for the inconvenience, we will have a fix as soon as possible.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
==================================

Hopefully they will have a fix soon
GO 920 Dead
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been in Halfords to look at a Parrot. Oh my God! The wires! Like a carcass's entrails and all colours you wouldn't believe. And I'd need a special tool to get the radio out (I suppose I could always ask the crims across the road to get it out for me - they'd do the job in less than a minute, but I'd rather have the dashboard still look half decent afterwards).

If I pay them the price of £150 they'll fit a 3200LS free. He couldn't tell me if it does SMS.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that Halfords guarantee that it'll work after they've fitted it...

...and Halfords is slightly more local than MikeAlder

As you said in an earleir post, though, it seems a shame to spend the extra when it's supposed to be built-in.

I guess that with the delay in your van's delivery, you at least have time to think about it
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I've just been in Halfords to look at a Parrot. Oh my God! The wires! Like a carcass's entrails and all colours you wouldn't believe. And I'd need a special tool to get the radio out (I suppose I could always ask the crims across the road to get it out for me - they'd do the job in less than a minute, but I'd rather have the dashboard still look half decent afterwards).

If I pay them the price of £150 they'll fit a 3200LS free. He couldn't tell me if it does SMS.

That's over £50 more than they sell for new, (the newer 2007 model) on Amazon Dennis mate.

Link - HERE -

So the free fitting is really weighing in at £50.

Can't answer whether it does sms though.

But let us know how you get on with one, if ever you do elect to get one fitted.

EDIT:

Also the Nokia BT Carkit is nice too, and even less money, and guaranteed to work with the various nokias all listed (some symbian based Nokias - ask me if you are not sure, require a file installed on the phone itself for full contacts support).

It's only £79.95 HERE

But I suspect neither of them do sms - would love to hear I am wrong though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: