Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion 96240 aka ALDI 4210 GPS - as released Sunday 20 May.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion 96240 aka ALDI 4210 GPS - as released Sunday 20 May.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Medion 96240 aka ALDI 4210 GPS - as released Sunday 20 May. Reply with quote

Picked up what I think was the last one at Aldi's in Caerphilly at about 11:20 this morning.

Initial impressions are good - solid tool with decent mapping and a speed camera database included (POI Warner).

Door to door right across europe and lifetime TMC feed. Even includes the aeriel for the car.

Didn't get to pick up any TMC today while driving around South Wales, the big test will be Friday when I head down to Portsmouth during rush hour!!

This replaces my 'old' Medion Halfords jobby that my brother has had on a long term borrow for work - must get that back now!
AfterTime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Medion 96240 aka ALDI 4210 GPS - as released Sunday 20 M Reply with quote

Pontyslapper wrote:
Picked up what I think was the last one at Aldi's in Caerphilly at about 11:20 this morning.

Initial impressions are good - solid tool with decent mapping and a speed camera database included (POI Warner).

Door to door right across europe and lifetime TMC feed. Even includes the aeriel for the car.

Didn't get to pick up any TMC today while driving around South Wales, the big test will be Friday when I head down to Portsmouth during rush hour!!

This replaces my 'old' Medion Halfords jobby that my brother has had on a long term borrow for work - must get that back now!

Seems OK, Strange Aldi is set as main POI, but does not exist !! (UK anyway) Not tried it mobile yet.........quite different to the Navman.

Anyone know how to add POI ? ...just transfer to the POI folder ??

TMC picks up loads of radio stations here (East Mids)

Will put it to the test at the weekend
Bens0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the last one from Aldi Milton Keynes on Monday and trying to get to grips with it.

I don't find the manual overly helpful and have gone to navigating.de to try to look for info and POIs but not managed that yet and can't see what POI file types are used on the system. Can't figure how to register without buying POI Warner first.

Travelling from Bedford to York on Sunday so it'll have a road test then.
colnvic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine to replace my Pioneer Avic X1

On the whole it seems a good little runner, though a volume control on the outside would be handy

The external aerial for the TMC seems a bit over the top and reception seems poor even with it in on my journey from Luton to Northampton

i notice most of the speed camera POIs are in .asc files and have so far been unable to update them, I guess I'll have to tawl through this site to find out hoe to upload them.

Later...
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have transferred my licence from 'old' POI warner for my old Medion Nav 4 to this one.

You have to log in to your POI warner account on navigating.de and via the support link tell them that you have a new GPS and they will send you a link to the new .exe file. Once you run this via ActiveSync to get it into the Medion, you email navigating.de support with your new POI warner ID - each one is tied to the kit apparently.

Thats as far as I've got so far.

Don't bother ringing Medion UK regarding the update facility on the GoPal Assistant software - I did as it wouldn't recognise I was on t'interweb - the answer I got was - the update thing either has no updates yet or it hasn't been setup yet as the kit is only 2 months or so old!! This was from one of their development team!! Rolling Eyes

The TMC side of things is a bit flaky - TMC is broadcast via several radio stations - Classic FM being the main UK one - others such as Heart and Galaxy offer a bit more regional coverage.

Here in South Wales I have to rely on the Classic FM broadcast feed - not ideal as they have a strong national presence so I'll still have to have the radio tuned to local stations for local stuff... TMC is mainly useful for travelling motorways and major major A roads (unless you live in the centre of the universe - LONDON!) from what I can gather from looking at the Traffic Info on my unit.

I'm still liking it though! :D
colnvic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC was one of the features that helped sway me over to this device, it was excellent on my Pioneer, but then that was using the car aerial. I thought I saw it saying "BBC Northampton" the other day

Did you already have active synch on your PC? I loaded it from the disc supplied and it's installed a German copy, bloody annoying Exclamation

When I viewed the folders on the device I saw the speed camera files so thought I could edit them directly. Does the POI Warner software compile these on the device then?

If so I should just need to get an account on POI Warner then?

And as for GoPal Assistant Censored what't that all about?
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the 'latest' version directly from Microsoft...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/activesync/activesync45.mspx

This ensures that you get the pukka version and in a language you understand - it does however need a pukka copy of windows as it checks the licence at one point - not a problem if your system is legit!

TMC is very dependant on the siting of the aeriel - on my X reg Mondeo I have the aeriel coming up and around the mirror and then along the top of the windscreen and back down on the drivers side - sat nav is in the middle of the windscreen for this. I also have the Quickclear windscreen with the wires through it - this could be causing me to have slight problems with TMC, but I think its down to being in Wales!!

I've yet to check the folders on my device - I'll have a look at some point - if they are simply 'normal' POI warner files - I'll post up a little how to guide based on my experiences - possibly tonight as Mrs Slapper is out with the girls Rolling Eyes
colnvic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!
All 16 language folders have the German language version Exclamation
However there does seem to be some poi warner .cab files in folder 7 in the installation folder.

I'll carry on fiddling
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I've finally got round to 'POI Warnering' my GoPal properly.

First off either purchase or deactivate and activate your POI Warner - I had to deactivate my old one and activate this one - you need to email the guys via support if you do it this way - they then send you a link, you download the file and activesync it across.

Then the POI warner software asks you to register - you'll need to either email or do as I did - via the Available re-registration process which takes you to a blue screen where you enter your new POI Warner ID - enter it, submit and an email comes back seconds later with your licence number - pop it in to the relevant box on the syncronisation screen and send that to your GoPal.

Take the chance to sort your POI's if your regged with poihandler.com like I am - then sync these.

Now the fun part... Confused

You'll need to go into the support part of navigating.de
then
POI-Warner Settings and Usage
Questions concerning the POI-Warner settings and Menus
POI-Warner Light - GoPal 2 or 3
I installed the full version, but only POI-Warner light starts on my device.

Download the file - sync it and select FULL

Eh voila - your POI Warner light edition is now full fat POI Warner! :D

Don't be scared to look around the navigating.de support section - its very comprehensive and if you're really stuck rattle off an email - they will be very helpful.
colnvic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Pontyslapper

I'll go and register with POI Warner
aircub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst playing with my machine a display popped up allowing you to manage and add POI manually..Now I cant find it again any ideas how to bring up this menu.

Also I have subscribed to the poiwarner service and paid for the speed camera updates, but it keeps telling me that I have not registered the service even though I have an email saying i have....Does this service take some time before getting registered.
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aircub,

You have to tell your sat nav you've registered by installing the full version of POI warner on the machine using Activesync.

Hope this clears things a little.
aircub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, will give that a try but i thought i had already done this.....will let you know..

Any idea how i can get thw manual poi window to show..
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've 'FULL'ed your POI Warner...

Start the nav bit using the icon - the green or red square should appear in the bottom right hand corner, unless you've moved it somehow!

Click on this and you should hear like a bell sound then POI Warner proper will start.

I'm off to France for a week tomorrow and won't be back online until Sunday at the earliest.

Hope everyone finds out how to do stuff without too many problems!
aircub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks pontyslapper, now have the extra menu running

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: