Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Second hand ICN 520-- advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Second hand ICN 520-- advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dedrakid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Second hand ICN 520-- advice please Reply with quote

Hello--- I am new to this forum. i found it by looking for info re my ICN510, which I have made unusable by trying to update it with 3rd party software-- now it shows "no map data", and Smart ST keeps saying it is not registered, even the original v3.0--- reset makes no differece. I just cannot do anything with the 510,keep going round and round but getting nowhere!

SO-- I bought a second hand 520. I'm now totally confused by all this Navman registration malarkey-- can only register one software to one machine etc etc.

Before I go further, can someone in the know please advise me on the following:

The 520 I've bought comes with apparently never installed Smart ST2005 desktop (the application installer wallet appears never to have been opened). If I install this on my PC, will I (a) immediately have to register this with Navman and if so (b) will the problems with the registrations re my old 510 cause me problems with this one, using my email address etc?

My second question is this--- I have been given a full set of never installed (still sealed in cellophane)Smart ST for ICN530 software, including european maps 2005 ( I don't have any euro maps with the 520). Would the whole of the 530 package work with the 520, if I do not install the 520 desktop but install the 530 software instead --- or, if I install the 520 desktop, will I still be able to load the euro maps from the 530 discs onto the 520.?

I would be obliged for guidance-- I am not very technically minded, so simple instructions please. I am totally baffled, and somewhat afraid of cocking-up my 520!!

Many thanks in advance.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman use registration keys to control software and map "resuse".
heres the bad news.
The 530 disks are nice coffee cosaters
The The 520 disks are nice coffee coasters
You need the registration keys

Heres the good news
If the device have been registered before, then Navman has a record of this. You don't need the keys Navman will send to you. (Well, their computer will talk to your iCN).

Un install ALL Navman software (just to be sure)
Load the correct Smart St desk top for the iCN you have. Original disks are best as these will always work.
Plug the iCN into you USB, power up and start Smart st
Depending on the desk top version, there is a menu option "Retrieve registarion information from Navman" or words to that effect on one of the top menus - do this
Select the update software option
install some maps
Off you go.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will need to register the 520 and even then it shouldn't be affected by your 510 situation. As far as I'm aware the 530 app and maps will not work with a 510 or 520.

Probably best to contact Navman Support. They might even be able to resurrect your 510 for you.
dedrakid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the advice so far-- I'm much obliged. I gather then that it's unlikely that the 530 stuff is of any use.

The ICN520 software I received is the genuine, original stuff for the machine.As i said, it appears to have never been installed on any PC-- the wallet still has the intact Serial Number barcode tag across the flap. It seems that just about every damn thing that Navman package has a serial number barcode--- but where is the elusive registration key?

I can only presume that the previous owner was happy to use the ICN straight out of the box-- but never installed the desktop to his PC in order to update, manage maps etc. SO, if it's never been installed, then presumably it's never registered-- where do I find the registration key?, there's nothing on anything that looks remotely like the registration key format--- OR is this generated automatically when the ICN first connects to Navman? I'm sure I did this about 3 years ago when I got the 510, but it was the first and only SatNav I've owned, so no issues about having previously registered other equipment, and it's so long ago i forget the process anyway. Confused? -- yes I am--- see what I mean?-- why do they make it so infernally convoluted. Surely if I buy a Navman at several hundreds of pounds, i should be able to use other software?-- the 520 will not even use my v3 European maps!!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an iCN530 here with the disks and no registration keys. I think it's possible that each unit has its ID embedded into it and Navman keep the registration details. You can 'Recover registration details from Navman' as one of the Desktop options.

Also, there's no need to remove other Navman seoftware from yur PC; I have the Desktop software for five different types of Navman on my laptop (it was handy at Sandown) and they don't cause each other problems.
dedrakid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

again I thank you for your patience! I've already tried Navman tech support by email re the 510, but got no response-- I'll try by a phone number I found on this excellent site.

I am interested that you are able to run more than one Navman software-- when I try to install, for example, a 2005 desktop it first asks to automatically removes the v3, and vice versa. I think I just have to bite the bullet and go for it, and hope all goes ok--- I'm at least somewhat reassured by your advice, so thanks again.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2005 might well remove V3 as it replaced it, but my Desktops are for newer models. I have 2005 Release 2 (only for iCN550), 2006 (for iCN7xx), 2006SE (for N series), Desktop for iCN530 and F Series Desktop.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experiance is that Navman software can only have one version for a device loaed at a time - so you can have V3 of iCn6xx and 2005 of iCN530, but not V3 and SS2005 for the iCN510.

So you may end up having to use another computer of get used to uninstalling and installing software.

As for Registration keys - you used to have to register a new unti before you could use it. A long time ago, Navman changed it so they came out of the box rehgistered, but still gave ou keys, then the stopped giving you the keys and gave the "recover keys" option on the desk top.

It is almost certain you don't need keys, use recover keys from the desktop menu. The fact that the disks you have have not been used is irrelivent. They make these CD's by the thousands and they are all the same. Otherwise, why would people buy them at 99.00, when they could (illegally) download an ISO image for free?
dedrakid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This is the situation so far:

I rang Navman tech support-- they were extremely helpful, and advised me how to recover my trusty 510, back to original settings. This I have done, and I'm a happy bunny again. This experience has also shown me that there are numerous after market sources for 2006 spec european maps (i will use my navman in France a lot) for the 510 with v3, but very few for 2005,v3.5. I also found that i like the setup and "feel" of the 510 better than the 520-- probably just familiarity.

I asked re the use of several versions of software on the same PC at once. Their answer is a qualified "yes", as long as they are not very similar software--- therefore it is suggested that the 510 v3 and the 520 v3.5 would be unlikely to operate happily on the PC together-- I had found that one uninstalls the other anyway. So--- all I need to find out now is how to update the 510 from v3 to v3.5 should I choose/need to do so in the future--- but at present I'm not really bothered about updating as I now have 2006 spec v3 maps to run on my 510. So, I'll probably sell on the 520 without ever having installed it!

Finally, once again, my thanks to you both for advice. There is another thread on here where another member seems to have encountered similar issues to me, so I'll repay the debt by offering the same fix to him as I found out through coming on this forum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: