Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 660 Keeps losing sattelites - is this norm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 660 Keeps losing sattelites - is this norm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stehanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 660 Keeps losing sattelites - is this norm Reply with quote

Over the last 2 weeks or so ive had the Nuvi in the car every day and whilst not in journey mode ive been viewing map data as I travel, on several occasions after a short while the GPS signal goes too weak and it soon reports sallelite reception lost (the signal indicator shows this) and if i view the GPS Sat page none of the bars show signals. sometimes if I reset it after a few goes of turning on and off it will lock back on, other times it cant relock to them within a few hrs (what I have noticed is it happens more on warm days - but its not limited to these as it happened yesterday in cloudy weather) - do other users have and probs like this or is it my unit? the unit is in a Vectra C (no heated or UV screen) and is mounted on the window on the right hand side above the dash - with the TMC cable routed through the back of the dash (and like others i the northwest I get no TMC data what so ever as im near the winter hill transmitter) Any ideas or advice?
Cheers Ste
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly doesn't sound normal. If it's a very recent purchase, I would take it back for an exchange - if slightly longer, contact Garmin to get them to troubleshoot and then either they will get you to go back to the retailer, or send the unit direct to them.
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem this morning, my 660 lost reception and failed to attempt to find it again during an 8 mile drive.

It was cloudy and raining fairly heavily. Would this have caused the loss of reception, if so it is fairly pathetic considering how much it can rain here.
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very heavy rain can interfere with the signals coming from the GPS satellites, but it is rare.
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun is now shining and I can get reception indoors
GPS SW Version 3.00
GTM SW Version 4.80
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 660 Keeps losing sattelites - is this norm Reply with quote

stehanson wrote:
the unit is in a Vectra C (no heated or UV screen) and is mounted on the window on the right hand side above the dash - with the TMC cable routed through the back of the dash (and like others i the northwest I get no TMC data what so ever as im near the winter hill transmitter) Any ideas or advice?
Cheers Ste

You don't have any other electronic equipment located very near to it do you? Mobile phones can cause intermittent problems if very close as could PDAs.

I've not experienced any issues with my 660. I now have it mounted on my old phone bracket via a BRODIT mount. This puts it very low down in the car - but it gets a good lock each time.

I, also, live within line-of-sight of the non-TMC Winter Hill. Annoying isn't it. :x
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In troubleshooting this sort of thing you ahve to look at every aspect of it.

Does your car have a heated or reflective screen

Where is the unit mounted high or low in car

Weather, cloudy with heavy rain can lose you a couple of satelittes

Where are you driving ie ,canyons ,valleys, forests, urban canyons(skyscrapers)

Has anyone else got one the same to compare satelite count with or even another model ,there doesnt normally be a large difference between

8O

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine in the lower centre of the windscreen, it is so there are no trailing power cables to the cigarette lighter to get in my way.

I normally recieve excellent reception in the area I was driving so I will put it down to cloudy weather and rain.

I was wondering at the time it happened if it was due to sunspot activity.
GPS SW Version 3.00
GTM SW Version 4.80
stehanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I go out now it takes an age to find satelites then loses them after 5 mins - warranty job I think, I mailed them through the garmin site regarding some probs I had and they did not get back to me (2 weeks ago) - I purchased it off an ebay power seller (worked fine for 1st few months) but it as it was an ex display model from a shop he didnt supply the yellow sticker - is this needed for warranty claim (and indeed what is it for in first place) and secondly how can I prove its under 12 months old? - although as far as im aware the nuvi 660 has not even been out here a year yet and when powered up it has date in 2007 with sirf technologies mentioned - anyone had similar issues and will it be able to resolve in your opinions?

cheers ste
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you registered your unit on the Garmin site as this helps with any warranty claims.

Idea

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Lost satellites Reply with quote

Just out of interest, have you recently updated your software to the latest version? I had a similar problem with my Streetpilot 2820 and think I solved the problem by reverting back to the previous software version, but I am not 100% positive.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stehanson wrote:
I purchased it off an ebay power seller (worked fine for 1st few months) but it as it was an ex display model from a shop he didnt supply the yellow sticker - is this needed for warranty claim (and indeed what is it for in first place) and secondly how can I prove its under 12 months old? - although as far as im aware the nuvi 660 has not even been out here a year yet and when powered up it has date in 2007 with sirf technologies mentioned - anyone had similar issues and will it be able to resolve in your opinions?

cheers ste

The yellow paper should have been supplied - it contains the unique code for your unit to allow you to unlock maps etc. The dates of 2007 shown during boot-up probably mean that the unit has has a s/w upgrade at some point.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: