Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS FOR the great outdoors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS FOR the great outdoors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mocall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: GPS FOR the great outdoors Reply with quote

I would like to buy pocket type GPS/SATNAV for use.on walking hollidays
in AUSTRIA.

It dos't need to talk to me, but it would need a flashing curser toshow
my position on 1 in 50,000 scale maps showing footpaths.

These maps would need to be downloaded to said device. I would require
an IDIOTS GUIDE to use this equipment.

Apart from not being computer literate I am also sight impaired.

Can anybody Help me in this?

Fingers Crossed

mocall

( First posting)
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Map on a Pocket PC PDA is a good option if you do not require a rugged product (Navman PIN/ Mio168 type devices with built in GPS, or a Bluettoth GPS with a Bluetooth capable PDA ).

Being sight impaired may limit your choices to larger screen products. Most of the true outdoors stuff has smaller screens, as do any Cell phone offerings. However, with limited computer skill I would hesitate to recommend a PDA solution.

I suggest having a look at the Garmin Range as a preferred option, and if the screen is not too small, go for one of those. Others may know of a lerger, dedicated topographical device that would be more suitable.

Most of the Car based Satnavs won't be suitable, as they do not do Topographical (1:50000 maps)
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would think carefully about this. For sight-impaired I would say that any of the hand-held GPS mapping units would be difficult to see and use.

PDAs offer a better chance but are expensive (esp if you find you can't get on with it). They are also very poor on battery life - which means carrying spare batteries as well as a substantial weatherproof / unbreakable case.

The other issue is availability of maps. Unfortunately the rest of the world is not blessed with an Ordnance Survey, who produce the finest, publicly available maps in the world - bar none. Whilst you may find electronic maps for the region you will be walking - you may be disappointed by the detail and scale when compared with 1:25000 and even 1:50000 OSGB. I did little walking in the French/Swiss Alps a few years ago and the paper maps supplied left a lot to be desired - tracks missed off etc. It took a while to adjust to this after many years of alking in UK. (It's also a lot hillier Laughing )

I would go for the best paper maps you can get hold of and buy a simple, inexpensive hand held GPS - no mapping - to let you know where you are. The displays on these tend to be monochrome and can be set to give high contrast. If you get adventurous you could even start to put waypoints into the GPS, to give you more navigation options out on the trail. Also the GPS would be able to record your tracks - but it would depend on how many days/walks you are doing as there is limited memory to record these on usually. The manuals supplied with units (e.g. by GARMIN) are usually very well written and simple to follow.

You need to carry paper maps (and compass) in any event 'cos electronics break down and run out of power etc...

Finally - do you know someone with a GPS system that could show you how to use them in familiar territory? You could then decide if you want to take one with you.

Sorry to sound so negative - but a GPS system is just another (relatively expensive) tool to be used when out on an adventure - it it is no substitute for practical experience, common sense and awareness of safety. Just look at the number of people in this forum who complain that their car nav system "doesn't take me the best way" - that's not what they are for - but they will assist in you getting your destination.

The most important thing is to enjoy your walking, look at the sights around, enjoy the company you are in and get back safely. Have a great time.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advise Phil - I looked at my PDA/Memory Map combo this evening. Memory map would probably not be suitable for sight impaired, even if you decided a PDA was rugged enough. It has a lot of very fine detailed icons and small buttons. Designed for good eyes to get lots of details (My better than average 40 something year old eyes only just cope)

I would back your suggestion - paper maps with a simple handheld GPS. Make sure the GPS has a wide range of coordinate systems (Datums) so translating from the GPS to the map you are using is easy.

One other down side with PDAs - modern PDA's do not have field replaceable batteries. If it goes flat you have to recharge it. No good if you are miles from the nearest power socket.
mocall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: GPS for the Great Outdoors.Reply s to robertn & philpugh Reply with quote

Three years ago I bought a GAMIN Etrex, it provides Grid references.
Unfortunately the grid references are not much use as the maps available do not have a grid system. Iuse a magnifying lass to read them
dut I need two pairs of hands to cope with GPS Map & glass. I have been useing map & compass cince National Service 47 Yrs years ago
I have a good sense of direction but it is still possible to loose the path
in a forrest or above the snowline.
A device that holds the map of the walking area with a curser showing ones position would be ideal.
I downtoaded MEMORY MAP trial offef on my PC it would be good in this contry but they have no plans to include austrian maps.
At 68 Yrs of ageIi find it difficult to understand the terminology used in
the various SATNAv/GPS descriptions.

So briefly: Down load the required map with a curser to point ones position is what I am tooking forand of course a DEVICE to hold them.

mocall

Thanks Robert & Phil for your interest

Thank for y

robertn wrote:
Memory Map on a Pocket PC PDA is a good option if you do not require a rugged product (Navman PIN/ Mio168 type devices with built in GPS, or a Bluettoth GPS with a Bluetooth capable PDA ).

Being sight impaired may limit your choices to larger screen products. Most of the true outdoors stuff has smaller screens, as do any Cell phone offerings. However, with limited computer skill I would hesitate to recommend a PDA solution.

I suggest having a look at the Garmin Range as a preferred option, and if the screen is not too small, go for one of those. Others may know of a lerger, dedicated topographical device that would be more suitable.

Most of the Car based Satnavs won't be suitable, as they do not do Topographical (1:50000 maps)
Quote:

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: