Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V10 of maps due soon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V10 of maps due soon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benhutchings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: V10 of maps due soon? Reply with quote

Hi, I have had an i3 with v8 maps for a couple of years. I need to use the unit for a trip through Europe in September so was just about to upgrade to the latest UK&Ireland (the EU basemap was fine for me in France last year) but I see that v9 was released about 10 months ago! I'm loath to buy old maps right now. Does anyone have any idea when the next version is due?

Thanks,
Ben
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard a guess they will be announced in a couple of months time, to coincide with the 12 month anniversary of the v9 maps (as they did with the v9 maps). However, as with the v9 maps, the upgrade DVD took a little while longer to be made available, and a little longer again to ship out to us.

So, if you think you'll get the City Navigator Europe 2008 maps (ie v10) before you go on holiday this year, you are likely to be disappointed.
Chrol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contacted Garmin customer services yesterday and I was told that v10 maps will be available October 2007 or maybe slightly earlier. It will cost £50 to upgrade from v9.

Looks like my new Nuvi 310 is going to cost me more than I thought !
benhutchings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks both, I'll have to think about borrowing one with new maps, or just hope that not TOO much has changed in the last year and a half!

£50 sounds reasonable I guess.
pandamedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrol wrote:
Contacted Garmin customer services yesterday and I was told that v10 maps will be available October 2007 or maybe slightly earlier. It will cost £50 to upgrade from v9.

Looks like my new Nuvi 310 is going to cost me more than I thought !

what about upgrading from v8 to v10?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be the same cost as you are just buying a new map, i hope.
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin maps are confusing:
V9 CityNavigator Europe was available in NEW units last October 2006.

But the existing customers upgrading to v9 were unable to buy them until February 2007! It cost £46 for the unlock code for two units [this has been reduced to one unit since June]

So the v10 may well be available in new units in the Autumn but the free update DVD's may well be held up [as they have been in recent years] until the New Year!

The major changes in v9 was the inclusion of Ireland to 'full' detail, so the new versions contained very little new detail for my recent 4200 mile trip through France + Italy!

If you are going to Ireland before the Autumn then buy v9 because v8 has little real detail!

Visit the Garmin website and compare a region on your PC with your 'existing' versions, against the same area shown online with v9 [and in October v10 or perhaps renamed 2008!]

Remember, that update DVD's are free and you pay Garmin for the 'unlock' later, unlike eBay where the free DVDs are being sold for up to £100.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who benefited most last time around were those who only had UK maps. The same activation fee brought them the whole of Western Europe
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response from Garmin this morning....

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Garmin(Europe)Ltd.

The next mapping out will be called City Navigator NT 2008.

There is not an exact release date as of yet. However it is due out by the end of this year, beggining of next. There has not either been released a price to update your mapping.

You will have access to the whole of Europe on the DVD. Maps for Uk and Ireland will just overwrite whats on your internal memory.

However if you wish to have the whole of europe on your i3 you will need a standard 2 GB SD card.
benhutchings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, yea I was told the same thing on the phone last week. I called up to register the product (I'd list reg code) and get the DVD for updates.

Unfortunately that afternoon I managed to 'break' the Streetpilot, I loaded too many pois or something, too many subfolders maybe and now it wont do anything involving pois or routing, and if left on turns itslef off after a few mins.

No time to fix it as I need SatNav to guide me around 9 coutries in europe later this week (club tour rally thing), so I bought a TomTom One EU on Saturday. Very impressed, to think it cost me the same as the Streetpilot 2 years ago, love the way new technology gets cheaper so quickly.

So yea, Garmin ownership is over. Nice while it lasted, served me well.

Cheers!
darrensandford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only bought my nuvi 610 four days ago. If I'd known that the new maps were imminent, I would've waited. Maybe.
benhutchings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you could pull a free upgrade when they come out. As tis OVER a year since the last ones I think, and seeing that Garmin seemed nice and reasonable when I called them they would let you.
Otherwise they are selling an outdated product in many ways, and you could mention that new TomTom users get a 30 day free map upgrade code that allows them to update maps to the version around WHEN they buy the product.
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: All is not lost! Reply with quote

darrensandford wrote:
I only bought my nuvi 610 four days ago. If I'd known that the new maps were imminent, I would've waited. Maybe.

What you should wait for is registering on My Garmin. If you register "after" they have released the new maps then you might get a free update to version 10. I'm not advocating that you specifically mislead Garmin, but when I registered my I3 (purchased in 2005) on the My Garmin website in January this year I mistakenly put the current date as the date of purchase, and I received a free V9 upgrade. Shocked

As far as I can tell they have no way of checking how long their stock sits on vendor shelves, and they like new users to have the latest maps.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

They are not imminent. I don't think 3 to 4 months is imminent. Garmin have said by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Not next week.

Quote:
What you should wait for is registering on My Garmin. If you register "after" they have released the new maps then you might get a free update to version 10. I'm not advocating that you specifically mislead Garmin

Well, yes, you are "advocating that you specifically mislead Garmin" and it is tantamount to fraud. By doing this you are obtaining an update you are not entitled to. People will argue it's not fair and the maps cost too much but thats the way it goes. Garmin is not a charity. Accidentally doing it is an accident - "accidentally" doing it isn't...

Quote:
and they like new users to have the latest maps

Not strictly true. They will allow those that bought a v9 unit a free upgrade to v10 if they bought it after v10 was released, which is only fair. I'm pretty sure Garmin company policy isn't about giving people free maps when they don't qualify.
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
Guess I should have been more clear. By new users I did mean that useer that had bought a unit with a mapset older than the currently released mapset.

As for my accident, I have been purchasing updates every year since my first Garmin (GPSV) in 2003. Since they changed their upgrade procedure to using the My Garmin website it is much easier to order the update discs. I have since purchased a Nuvi V9 maps, and I beleive that their user policy allows each map license to be applied to two units.

Based on the previous thread I guess some of us were expecting new maps around Octobver, but it sounds a little later than that Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: