Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - installing POI and speed cam probs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

installing POI and speed cam probs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l3ights
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: installing POI and speed cam probs Reply with quote

just bought the Garmin 660, i've downloaded the POIloader, when i start it up and find Nuvi drive, i try to install the speed camera's and the POI's and it says they cant be found, so i tried to drag and drop or copy but they still cant be found, when i goto extra's it tells no extras loaded goto the garmin website,

What can i do to sort this out?
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: installing POI and speed cam probs Reply with quote

l3ights wrote:
just bought the Garmin 660, i've downloaded the POIloader, when i start it up and find Nuvi drive, i try to install the speed camera's and the POI's and it says they cant be found, so i tried to drag and drop or copy but they still cant be found,

You have to use POILoader (or a replacement with similar functionality; it doesn't just copy the files it also converts the format. If it can't find the files, are you sure you unzipped them?
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of warning. When you add POIs (speed camera or general POIs) you can only do this as a single file that will overwrite any already installed. So for example if you have some POIs already installed, change to name to something like "non-camera" then when you download the camera POIs it will not overwrite existing ones. You will see both entries when viewing in explorer.

See this thread...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55477&highlight=
City Navigator Europe NT 2008. GarminPOI Loader 2.5.2
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: installing POI and speed cam probs Reply with quote

l3ights wrote:
just bought the Garmin 660, i've downloaded the POIloader, when i start it up and find Nuvi drive, i try to install the speed camera's and the POI's and it says they cant be found, so i tried to drag and drop or copy but they still cant be found, when i goto extra's it tells no extras loaded goto the garmin website,

What can i do to sort this out?

Best thing is to create a folder on your PC for keeping ALL your POIs in. These can be in GARMIN .csv format (like the speed cameras from here) or .GPX

Connect your nuvi to your PC with the GARMIN supplied USB cable - turn on your nuvi and it should go into USD disk drive mode and appear as two drives on your PC. One is the hard disk in the nuvi the other is the SD card slot.

When you start POILoader - select the PC folder when you get to the third screen using the Browse. Select units (Feet / MPH for UK?) and Express mode. Press next and wait - it takes a while for lots of entries.

Each file (.csv or .gpx) will create a separate category - speed cameras can create upto 30+ by themselves. For the 660 there is a current limit of 257 categories and if you exceed this you will lock-up your unit.

When you want to add new POIs - just place them in the PC folder you created and re-run POILoader. To remove POIs - just delete/move the file and re-run. POILoader will remember the location of your folder.
j3di
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, having just registered i've downloaded some custom POI's and the Speed Camera database POI's. They have installed correctly and are currently 2 separate files in the Garmin 610T i own (i renamed the 1st download of POI's on the Garmin so that subsequent downloads wouldn't overwrite them.

my question relates to searching Custom POI's from the device. Originally i had free Speed Camera POI's installed when i bought my Garmin and i didn't have them come up when searching custom POI's for something (say McDonalds).

Before i installed the 2 POI files from here i deleted the Camera and POI stuff i already had.

Is it possible to hide the Camera stuff so that i don't have to scroll through it when searching for Custom POI's???????

Dan
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Word of warning. When you add POIs (speed camera or general POIs) you can only do this as a single file that will overwrite any already installed. So for example if you have some POIs already installed, change to name to something like "non-camera" then when you download the camera POIs it will not overwrite existing ones. You will see both entries when viewing in explorer.

Not sure what Nick_Russell is talking about here. You can have many POI files on a Sat Nav, however when you load the POI files POILoader wipes out ALL exisiting POI files from your i3 first, so as philpugh says you need to maintain a folder on your PC and keep all your POIs in it. Then upload ALL the POI files each time you update on or more of the files.

Quote:
Is it possible to hide the Camera stuff so that i don't have to scroll through it when searching for Custom POI's???????

No but if you rename them so they have a z_ in front i.e. z_pocketgps_uk_gatso.csv then it'll move them to the end of the list.
j3di
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i'll try that.
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Not sure what Nick_Russell is talking about here.

I'm talking about exactly what you go on to say!

When you upload POIs via uploader it wipes out all existing POIs. I said you can have different POIs but you have to rename them if you want to add extra POIs keeing old POIs on your SatNav. Of course you can also do it as you suggest and upload all different POIs from yor PC in one go.

See the thread I mentioned above.
City Navigator Europe NT 2008. GarminPOI Loader 2.5.2
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm talking about exactly what you go on to say!

Apologies. I thought we were talking about an i3. Now spotted its a 660 and things might be slightly different. The i3 can't be viewed in Explorer but i guess the 660 can. Now i know that what you say makes sense.

Must pay more attention. Embarassed
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j3di wrote:

my question relates to searching Custom POI's from the device. Originally i had free Speed Camera POI's installed when i bought my Garmin and i didn't have them come up when searching custom POI's for something (say McDonalds).

Before i installed the 2 POI files from here i deleted the Camera and POI stuff i already had.

Dan

subfolders Smile

create a folder within your pc poi folder called 'speed cameras' or similar. put your speed cam poi's in here and then use poi loader to load the main poi folder. it will add a sub group to the custom pois list eg your list might be:

asda
aldi
pizza hut
speed cameras
zoos

then click on speed cameras to see the individual files. it keeps the seed cameras 'out of the way'

i use a load of sub folders to simplify the list eg: 'grocery shopping' which has asda, morrisons etc, 'diy' for halfords, wickes etc

MaFt

ps - sub folders don't work properly on the i3

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: