Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A1M West Yorkshire
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A1M West Yorkshire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dezellis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: A1M West Yorkshire Reply with quote

Hi, Can anyone tell me if the A1M changes around the Pontefract area of West Yorkshire have been added to any of the recent maps? Great Britain in the Plus section downloads or TTN6 maps.
Regards
Dez Ellis
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean where the A1M/M62 now goes around the back of Ferrybridge, then yes that new bit is there as is the new bit at Wetherby.
dezellis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrT,
Thanks for that it is exactly the area that I meant. Just for confirmation is that in the TT6 maps or the Great Britain update available through the TomTom plus section of downloads or both?
Regards
Dez Ellis
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A1M around Wetherby is fine but the A1M section down from where the A1M splits off with the M1 link road down to and beyond Ferrybridge is a bit hit and miss. I suspect they've used projections from the planners as often two roads are displayed (the old and new?). Unfortunately for much of that new section you don't seem to be on either road so I guess the proposed route changed after the map provider got their information.
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezellis wrote:
Hi MrT,
Thanks for that it is exactly the area that I meant. Just for confirmation is that in the TT6 maps or the Great Britain update available through the TomTom plus section of downloads or both?
Regards
Dez Ellis

Missed that bit, for me that's using the Navigator 6 maps supplied on the DVD. It would be interesting to know if there is new mapping data available already. Rolling Eyes
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit from the top of the M1 junction to Ferrybridge was OK for me. Perhaps you had a poor GPS signal as TomTom will show you on the nearest road to where it thinks you are and if the signal showed you between the two it could easily jump on to the other road. At Micklefield the old and new roads are only 50 yards apart so this could easily happen.

The map I used there is GB (not plus) V652.1204 from the DVD Western Europe . I notice the Western Europe Map is V652.1181 so it could be possible that a minor error in that area has been corrected between the two versions on the same DVD.
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The bit from the top of the M1 junction to Ferrybridge was OK for me. Perhaps you had a poor GPS signal as TomTom will show you on the nearest road to where it thinks you are and if the signal showed you between the two it could easily jump on to the other road. At Micklefield the old and new roads are only 50 yards apart so this could easily happen.

The map I used there is GB (not plus) V652.1204 from the DVD Western Europe . I notice the Western Europe Map is V652.1181 so it could be possible that a minor error in that area has been corrected between the two versions on the same DVD.

I'm pretty sure that at a couple of points it's showing me in the middle of a field. Could be my GPS, it's a Holux 236 SIRF III and normally pretty reliable. I'm pretty sure that was using the GB (not plus) map, however I've replaced that with the GB map with MRE so I'm trying to remember if it was any better before and after the map. I'll see how it fairs on the way down today.
MedionMug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my tomtom go 300 the middle of last year, and on that section of the A1 it DOES show you in a field, and as you go south and drift left you re-join the original road and it snaps back to the correct route.

They go on about how digital mapping is quicker and easier than the traditional printed map, but you can get corrected printed road maps and TomTom STILL haven't released a new version. It will be out of date by the time they do. They better charge a resonable price for it if they ever do release one.

Tomtom home update service has given me 2 software updates in the past few months, but no sign of a new map.
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that route today and it's all over the shop with the GB with MRE Europe map from the Navigator 6 DVD. The bit showing two roads is actually fine and the combination of TTNAV and the GPS show you on the right road. However just beyond that, just before the A63 Leeds turn-off it starts to get very confused, shown in a field to the left, then sorts itself for the junction and then off all over the place again. Swapping from way off the side of the motorway and back to the road again all the way down to the new M62 junction which is different to what Navigator shows. Beyond that it's fine.

Would be interesting to hear if the non-plus map is more up to date.
HairyBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

for anyone who is interested my v6.75 map of GB (and major roads of WE) has the A1 from ferrybridge to wetherby mapped perfectly - including the A1/M62 intersections.

This road has been a constant pain in my ar*e so I for one am delighted its been sorted in this latest map release.

Not sure about the Maps of western europe v6.75 release but the GB maps v6.75 are perfect for this stretch of road.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HairyBoy wrote:
Not sure about the Maps of western europe v6.75 release but the GB maps v6.75 are perfect for this stretch of road.
They've got it right - I drove over that area not too long ago and it was fine.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive this route regularly and use the 652.1181 map which came with my DVD MWE purchased around December 06-ish. The problem with this route and that map version is that they've added the new road but it's about 1/4 mile off target throughout a stretch of about 10 miles. If you look at it on the screen as you enter it (heading North) there's a somewhat unfeasible dog-leg then you cross fields with the new road clearly visible to one side. Just a cock up by the cartographer IMHO.

Strange thing is Destinator 6 has had this mapped correctly for over a year but by saying that I might begin another my map/your map/his map discussion .....oh, I just did!

One day everyone in the whole country will have correct mapping for his/her area. It would appear that the map suppliers give with one hand and take with the other judging by posts about dissapearing roads in latest versions.

I've just taken to muting the sound at Wetherby and ignoring it.

If you want a real corker of a distraction drive from Italy into France up past Torino with Destinator 6. When you pop out of the tunnel into France the mapping suggests you should be climbing a cliff or running through snow filled riverbeds for 8 miles while you attempt to navigate and watch the road. There's no way it could EVER have been correct. I did it at night in February and it's one time I absolutely ignored the Nav!!!
Holux GPSslim
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the latest V675 GB + IE maps and the mapping is fine. I drive the route two/three times a week and all seems to be fine now with the latest maps.
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur this area is fine. I'm using 675.1409 Western Europe. Lots of problems before with 660 map.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: