Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Want BT GPS receiver with same power connector as TomTom mk1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Want BT GPS receiver with same power connector as TomTom mk1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Want BT GPS receiver with same power connector as TomTom mk1 Reply with quote

Currently using TT6 on Palm T3 with the original SiRF II TomTom bluetooth receiver that is getting a bit clapped out [battery life is a wee bit short]
www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtombtgps.php

As I originally bought TT V4 for the Palm T3, it came with a mount that can charge both the T3 and the TT GPS receiver at the same time from the cigar lighter [so I only take this mount on holiday], would like a replacement GPS BT receiver that will take the same power connector [round, slightly smaller than that on a older Nokia phone] & voltage.

Can anyone confirm if the TT BT GBP II receiver has the same power connector as my version? Although it uses the improved SiRF III chipset, it has been out since at least Oct 2005 and if there are any other suggestions [similar size/weight, better sensitivity etc]...

www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-bt-gps-mkii.php

TIA

M
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem last year.

However, I didn't think choosing a new GPS receiver on the basis of its power connector to be particularly sensible. Instead I chose based on the merits of the receiver itself, and simply chopped off the old connector and soldered on a new one (mini-USB).

I am NOT proficient with electronics and have no knowledge or experience in this field - just a degree of common sense...oh, and a friend's soldering iron. Laughing

The power out on the Tomtom cradle is an RJ11 socket I think - depending on what you find as a new receiver you may be able to buy an RJ11 to XXX cable to suit your needs.
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply but soldering small components was not what I had in mind 8O

I don't think choosing a GPS receiver this way is sensible either but I am willing to live with the compromise it means i.e. not necessarily getting the best available - however the Mk II doesn't seem that bad a receiver & an improvement from the mk I [which I have been happy with]

Looks like I'll get the TT mk II & if the power fitting is different then I may then follow your suggestion...
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the power connector is the same on the tt mk one and two receivers

bt if your in the market for a new receiver id go for perfomance and battery life

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same 5V charger for my Globalsat BT-338 and my iPAQ as my TT BT receiver.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's current BT GPS shares the same connector but most newer receivers use Mini-USB. The GlobalSat BT338 does use the same connector but this is an older model.
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies but I have now already ordered the TT mk II but handy to get confirmation about it's power connector [and an alternative].
Seems like there is not much in it between the GlobalSat BT338 and TT

One direct comparison from these fair forums
www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17984&start=323

Cheers for the input

M
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution is to have a power socket fitted elsewhere. I fitted my old Holux GPSslim 236 in the other half's 5 series touring. The car's battery is in a compartment in the boot so now have a fused 12volt socket in there too and the GPS reciever is fixed flush to the vent grill at the top of the compartment and on 24/7. Bluetooth is strong enough to reach the front of the car and you can't see it so it's safe (black tape over the lights).

The great thing about this is no more dual power cords, swapping to charge either device mid journey, no waiting for a fix in central London etc and the other half doesn't have to worry about it. Just fire up the PDA and go. If you use another car I can just flip down the panel and remove the receiver (it's on velcro) and power cord ready for use elsewhere.

I had it fitted as part of a deal when a towbar was added but well worth it as a DIY or paid job.

Perhaps most importantly, when the car is empty and cradle removed there is no cables and evidence of GPS in the car.

I know this isn't a direct answer to the original question but thought I'd share as it might be a better solution to sourcing a splitter. Also, if the batterylife is the only issue and you're happy with the SirfII performance it might be better money spent to have it permanently on and sat-fixed rather than spend money on new reciever.
Holux GPSslim
sugob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the TT mk II receiver and seems to work pretty well - can now have receiver indoors about 10 foot from a window and still maintain a fix [TT shows about 20-30% signal strength].

The bonus is it also came with 4 adaptor cables to attach onto the TT power connector - one allows me to charge my Nokia 6280 [uses the newer 2mm Nokia power connector, rather than the older 3.5mm] and also one for mini usb connector.

I mainly use TT in hired cars [US/Europe] so permanent fixing is not an option - infact it was the use of the 'NeverLost' in a Hertz car a few times that showed me the usefulness of GPS [even though it looks ultra primitive now (last time I looked, it still looked exactly the same as 5+ years ago)]

Thanks for all your help/suggestions

M

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: