Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Experiences in Eurostar with GR230 vs Garmin eMap
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Experiences in Eurostar with GR230 vs Garmin eMap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Experiences in Eurostar with GR230 vs Garmin eMap Reply with quote

On the weekend I went to Disneyland Paris on Eurostar (Out of Waterloo) and took along my new GR230 and my old eMap.

The eMap hadn't been used since I cam back to the UK from New Zealand in November, the GR230 had been used a couple of days earlier in my car & (Should) have had a full almanac & current location (Within 50km).

Leaving Waterloo I placed the GR230 in the window of the carriage and ran up some software on my laptop to watch the GPS status. The GPS was running in SiRF mode @9600bps and spent the next 30 or so minutes continually trying to get a position fix, but was unable to get on until just before Ashford terminal. About 2 minutes before we pulled into Ashford, I suddenly got a 4+ satellite position. This was of course lost for a short whole at Ashford (While the sky was obscured by the station) and then lost completely when we entered the chunnel.

After leaving the chunnel the GPS again wandered around hunting for sats before finally getting a fix once more about half way between Calais and Arras. The GPS fix was patchy between there and half way between Arras & Paris before suddenly dropping the connection completely and never regained it.

This all had me wondering at first if the Eurostar was (Like the TGV apparently is) incapable of recieving GPS signals in the carriages because of metallic coatings on the windows.

However...

In comparison, I finally whipped out my eMap about 5 minutes before Ashford and turned it on for my daughter to watch. After a couple of minutes it realised we weren't in NZ (No sats) and asked whether to keep searching, init from the map or us eindoors. I used the map to tell it we were somewhere within reach of London and it got a lock within 2-3 minutes. The eMap then kept the signal, almost with fail (Except of course in tunnels) all the way to Disney (Marne-La-Valle - Chessey).

On the way back it was pretty much similiar. The GR230 didn't get lock out of MLV-C until almost at Arras. It kept it for about 5 minutes, got it again just before Calais, lost it in the Chunnel and never regained it again. I didn't use the eMap until about Vauxhall (Last station before Waterloo?) and it didn't get a lock then either, but it was a little hopeful about that one).

All in all, I was a little disappointed about the GR230's performance. I didn't see any noticiable improvement between the Pretec CF GPS which uses an older SiRF chipset and the IIe/LP that ythe GR230 apparently uses. Nor did the later (2.3 vs 2.2) firmware make a great deal of difference for the newer unit.

I can't blame window coatings for bad performance as the eMap appeared to have no problems with getting & keeping a lock at 300km/hour within the carriage, despite last being used in Tauranga, NZ at the beginning of November).

YMMV...

Hamish.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting observations. I think it is still related to the window coating - the german ICE is known to cause the same problems, and the TGV is probably the same. Maybe the antenna types are different . What is the sat ratio when you compare the two devices in clear sky view?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Thanks for the interesting observations. I think it is still related to the window coating - the german ICE is known to cause the same problems, and the TGV is probably the same.

Lots of trains are like this, I was on one of Austria to Prague and couldn't get a fix through the window. The GPS worked OK in the toilets though. 8O
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Thanks for the interesting observations. I think it is still related to the window coating - the german ICE is known to cause the same problems, and the TGV is probably the same. Maybe the antenna types are different . What is the sat ratio when you compare the two devices in clear sky view?

Yes, it COULD be the coating that's making the difference between the Garmin & the GR230, but that's my point. There is a difference. The Garmin seems to experience NO problems with seeing sats, while the GR230 had so many problems it was just unusable. Of course it could be other things as well.

In a clear sky view (i.e. driving in a car) I havent tried yet (I have tried with a Pretec that also uses a SiRF chip, and that needs an external antenna in the car to work (BMW 5 series, no metallised windscreen).

Garmin units just seem to be far more sensitive to GPS signals... I guess that might just be the benefits of more years experience in building them.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamie wrote:
Yes, it COULD be the coating that's making the difference between the Garmin & the GR230, but that's my point. There is a difference. The Garmin seems to experience NO problems with seeing sats, while the GR230 had so many problems it was just unusable. Of course it could be other things as well.

Something that makes a big difference is that your GPS is hot or warm starting. I find that my GPS-V works very poorly in many trains, generally the high speed or air conditioned ones. If the GPS has has a good fix on all visible sats before I board the train then it tends to re-aquire and keep hold of them, although it does have difficulty sometimes. Trying to do a cold start on the train is very difficult.

Mind you, from what you were saying, the GR230 had the hot start and the Garmin was dead cold and thought it was in Tauranga so it sounds like your Garmin is a far superior receiver than your GR230! 8O

Was the Garmin reading a strong signal or fairly weak one?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: