Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Sat Nav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Sat Nav?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmokiesInWine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Which Sat Nav? Reply with quote

Looking for some advice on what people would recommend as a decent Sat Nav.

My biggest requirement is that I'd like to route around traffic problems. I've got a Nuvi 310D but the FM receiver does not seem to very reliable (I can't get it to work when I'm driving - pretty useless!!!)

I'd like to try and avoid the FM method of traffic updates so I was looking at the Road Angel 9000 but the other Road Angel Sat Nav products seem to have a bit of a bad reputation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no reliable RDS-TMC units available as yet, whilst the manufactures insist on supplying units with "shoe string" aerials reception will allways be problematic in the UK, the one exception to this is Navman who do supply the unit with a connection point so you can connect an external aerial.
The only alternative to decent TMC information is to obtain it via GPRS using your mobile phone, TomTom use such a system at a cost per annum, or look at Route 66 where the TMC information is provided as part of the base unit cost. Bear in mind you need GPRS enabled on your phone and this can get costly unless your GPRS data traffic is inclusive to your contract.

When you have reliable data downloading to the unit the next issue to contend with is how accurate the information actually is, it has improved, but still has some way to go. I would like to see an option for reduced TMC costs if the owner were to upload informatiion from their device, this would be easy to do and with more users supplying the "floating vehicle data" the information would improve. As yet it is early days for the traffic system, it has saved me a number of times from serious delays, but it is far from perfect - Mike
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 310D too. I've got it connected to a GTM-10 which connects to the car aerial, its very rarely without a signal. Had a Garmin C510D with GTM21 before but it wouldn't work in a citroen picasso mainly because of the athermic windscreen.

Amazon GTM 10

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: