Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have Gremlins got in the latest files?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have Gremlins got in the latest files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterRat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Have Gremlins got in the latest files? Reply with quote

Sad Confused I have downloaded the latest speedcam file (a number of time now) and I find that most of the known mobile sites around my area, the A141/142, that were in previous files have been removed. This seems strange to me as only today ( sorry yesterday) the local big black speed van was yet again on duty at one of the previous marked sites.

Is it possible to download the previous data base to correct this problem?

WaterRat

ps: Last weekend on my journey back along the M3 (London bound) I was warned of 2 speed zones for roadworks which are no longer there which are: 1) a mile from J3 and 2) the approach to J2
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Have Gremlins got in the latest files? Reply with quote

WaterRat wrote:
... and I find that most of the known mobile sites around my area, the A141/142, that were in previous files have been removed. This seems strange to me as only today ( sorry yesterday) the local big black speed van was yet again on duty at one of the previous marked sites.
If they haven't been reported "as seen again" they could have been removed in the last Mobile Purge.

This is why it is essential to report them whenever seen, however infrequent. There is an Option for this on the Camera Submissions Page.

WaterRat wrote:
Is it possible to download the previous data base to correct this problem?
It is not practical to do this, but if you re-submit, as above, it will appear again.

WaterRat wrote:
Last weekend on my journey back along the M3 (London bound) I was warned of 2 speed zones for roadworks which are no longer there which are: 1) a mile from J3 and 2) the approach to J2
Once again, if you submit the latest information, Removal, on the Submission Page this will be reflected in the Database to the benefit of all users.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as I have said on other threads, we want reports of ACTIVE sites only. Please don't submit locations that are known to you UNLESS you have seen a van in operation.

This is to ensure the site is valid and our mobile data is both accurate AND current.

Each time they are reported a purge timer is reset. If a site isn't reported in 6mths + then it will be purged as we have been doing for some months now.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ps: Last weekend on my journey back along the M3 (London bound) I was warned of 2 speed zones for roadworks which are no longer there which are: 1) a mile from J3 and 2) the approach to J2

Is it possible you still have the "temp" files installed? These have now been dropped and with some models of sat nav (you don't state which you are using) the main files will be over written by the new files but the "temp" files will remain until deleted by the owner. Try removing all the files, redownloading the database and reinstalling the database.

Edit: Upon checking they appear to be SPECS cameras.
WaterRat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks...... Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was unaware that you purged the (p)mobiles sites on a regular basis and that you needed to post " seen again" reports.

I class myself as just a "User of your database", so have never feel the need to venture into the forums which explains my unawareness. Oh well looks like I will just have to return back to the background, never to be seen/heard of again........

WaterRat

ps: I too thick to understand the "camera submission`s" page.

Last edited by WaterRat on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks...... Reply with quote

WaterRat wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I was unaware that you purged the (p)mobiles sites on a regular basis and that you needed to post " seen again" reports.

We are publicising this at every opportunity, we mention it with every release announcement and in the Newsletters.
Quote:
I class myself as just a "User of your database", so have never feel the need to venture into the forums which explains my unawareness. Oh well looks like I will just have to return back to the background, never to be seen/heard of again........

WaterRat

Please don't return to the background, now you've found us why not hang around! We welcome reports of mobiles in action and welcome all feedback.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks...... Reply with quote

WaterRat wrote:
ps: I too thick to understand the "camera submission`s" page.
Oh no you're not! You're not too thick to download the camera database and put it onto your SatNav. You're not too thick to operate your SatNav. This submission business is not some weird black art.

Go back up the page and click on Oldboy's red link and it'll open the page he's talking about. For starters, just try clicking and zooming on the map - after all, it's just like your SatNav's map - when you zoom in to about 3 or 4 notches on the zoom scale thingy, you'll be able to see where the cameras are. Move back up the page to see the boxes which need to be filled in to report stuff. Try reporting that nice black speed camera van (I thought they were all white, maybe there's a new trend out your way?). Give it a go, you can't do yourself any harm and you might do us all a lot of good. If you B*** it up, send one of us a PM to say so and we'll arrange for the nice man at head office to delete your submission. We do NOT dish out B***** for somebody who fails whilst genuinely trying. Back along before you were born, when I first tried the camera submission page I shied away in fear and discovered an email address I could send them in to instead. But one day I went back to that page and suddenly discovered it's easy when you know how. One thing, you get an automatically generated email saying thank you for your submission and repeating back to you the details of what you've submitted - keep the email for reference if you do make a B*** up.

Please don't go hide in the undergrowth, you could very easily develop into one of this websites most valued members, you just don't know it yet - even funny southern people manage it sometimes! The trick for new people is a little politeness and maybe even some sweetener to a nice old man like me - you could help me across the road next time I'm in your area.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: