Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom One and Speed Limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom One and Speed Limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Tomtom One and Speed Limits Reply with quote

Bought TT1 V2 EU to try to find out what the speed limit is because you can't always tell and I know to my cost how much the scamera boys love that situation.

The advert says it has "Optional warning when exceeding recorded speed limit (if available from map data)". The instructions are absolutely dire and make no mention of this feature.

I have read of people claiming to get the TT1 to display speed limits. Is this possible or have I bought the wrong one?

Also Tomtom home tells me the unit is not connected to the PC while the unit itself tells me it is.

Not a great start to GPS ownership.

Help/support gratefully received,

Stephen
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tomtom One and Speed Limits Reply with quote

slowdriver wrote:
I have read of people claiming to get the TT1 to display speed limits. Is this possible or have I bought the wrong one?
Tap Screen and then Change Preferences | Status bar Preferences. It's on Page 3 of 7.

(If you have only 3 Pages in Change Preferences, on Page 3 there is an Option to Show ALL menu options. Tap that, then Continue and you will get the full 7 pages.)

On the Status Bar Screen, Select Speed.

slowdriver wrote:
Also Tomtom home tells me the unit is not connected to the PC while the unit itself tells me it is.
Make sure the USB lead is pushed right in to the Sockets at both ends. Try a different USB Port. If you have an external powered hub they can sometimes be a problem.

In HOME go to the Menu Bar and Device | Change Device to see if this makes any difference.

If that doesn't work, come back and we'll try something else. Details of your PC setup will help. OS, Firewall Security,TT version, HOME version. Things like that. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tomtom One and Speed Limits Reply with quote

slowdriver wrote:
The advert says it has "Optional warning when exceeding recorded speed limit (if available from map data)".

Oops! Oldboy has told you how to take advantage of this feature. The meaning of the above blurb is that when you make the setting he describes, you'll get a display, bottom centre of the TT1, of your speed. Additionally, when that information is available in the map, it will also display the speed limit where you are. So when you are doing 28mph, it will show "28" bottom centre and if the map "knows" the speed limit there it will show "28/30". The warning of exceeding the limit is that it changes colour, so at 33mph it will show 33/30 and at 38mph it will not only show red, but will also flash. Join the rest of us in the club and discover that not only is the red a poor colour contrast with the background and difficult to read, but also the speed limits the map "knows" are very much incomplete and far too often wrong. One small advantage of the feature is that you'll find that the speed display is slower than your speedometer, because it's more accurate.
Welcome to the forums.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
slowdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the swift and detailed replies. I have managed to set the speed display to "on". Will try one of the kids PC's to see if I can get a connection on the USB without a hub. Come to think of it there have been occasions in the past where USB devices have disappeared and re-appeared for no apparant reason. I will persevere a lttle longer before giving it a sharp tap with a mallet.

I'll let you know how I get on

Thanks again,

Stephen
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi slowdriver,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Glad to see that you’ve now got the speed shown on your TomTom ONE NE.

slowdriver wrote:
I know to my cost how much the scamera boys love that situation.

Have you considered using our PocketGPSWorld camera database? Smile

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
slowdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out in the car this pm and got speed display but no mention of speed limits in 30 and 40 zones. The speed reading wasn't red either. I wonder if this feature will kick-in when I finally manage to get the speed cameras on?

AFAIK I have paid for a one-time download of the Tomtom camera database in the cost of the unit. After that I will definitely be using the pocketgps service, unless there is some benefit in ignoring the Tomtom one altogether and going straight onto the pocketgps data.

I can spend up to to an hour a day trying to get it to do what I want, so this could be a long job.

Thanks again,

Stephen
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowdriver wrote:
Went out in the car this pm and got speed display but no mention of speed limits in 30 and 40 zones. The speed reading wasn't red either. I wonder if this feature will kick-in when I finally manage to get the speed cameras on?

Installing (either the TomTom or PocketGPSWorld) speed camera databases will not make any difference to the unit displaying the speed limit.

The speed limit data is imbedded in the map itself and doesn’t cover every road. Generally the main A roads and Motorways should show the speed limit. But don’t depend on it as there are glaring mistakes in the data.

DennisN's post covers everything that you need to know about the showing of speed limits and how little you should trust them!

slowdriver wrote:
AFAIK I have paid for a one-time download of the Tomtom camera database in the cost of the unit. After that I will definitely be using the pocketgps service, unless there is some benefit in ignoring the Tomtom one altogether and going straight onto the pocketgps data.

The consensus is that the PocketGPSWorld camera database is better (more accurate, up-to-date, etc) than the TomTom one.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowdriver wrote:

The speed reading won't turn red UNTIL you exceed the speed limit recorded on your device's map. You're bound to see it one day, because there are places where the map has a lower speed limit than is the actual case (e.g. M5 Southbound Junctions 22 to 30 show as 60mph). Having said which, I'm glad to hear you didn't go speeding to test it.

Privateer wrote:
The consensus is that the PocketGPSWorld camera database is better (more accurate, up-to-date, etc) than the TomTom one.
Don't just take his word for it - he's a Moderator, one of "THEM". Take my word for it instead - The consensus is that the PocketGPSWorld camera database is better (more accurate, up-to-date, etc) than the TomTom one. Laughing

slowdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the kids up to the grandparents in Harrogate this evening and took the TT1 along to test it.

The good news is that I finally got to see the speed function working and showing the actual speed as well as the speed limit, going red and then flashing, as described. I found this extemely useful and this was just what I was looking for when I bought the TT.

The very bad news is that on a round trip of 120 miles, covering a wide selection of road types, this only happened twice. Once on the M1 on the way there, and then again on the M1 on the way back. On both occasions I was informed that the speed limit on the M1 was 70 which what not the greatest revelation I've experienced. I can see why they found it necessary to include the cop-out "(if available from map data)" in the advert. I presume this is a shortcoming of the mapping and not the unit itself, and hence there would be nothing to be gained by buying a more expensive GPS.

Will try to find time over the weekend to have another go at the scamera database malarchy.

Regards,

Stephen
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowdriver wrote:
Took the kids up to the grandparents in Harrogate this evening and took the TT1 along to test it.

The good news is that I finally got to see the speed function working and showing the actual speed as well as the speed limit, going red and then flashing, as described.

OUCH!!! Please don't do this, Stop it! not even with the kids not in the car - if you kill yourself it'll impact on them almost as much as if you kill them. And they'll probably feel some effects if you lose your licence. Plus my favourite niece lives somewhere up there. Smile The speed limits should not be coming as a revelation (you already "know" if you're looking), but as a reminder in case you've forgotten for a moment. Sorry, lecture not intended Not Worthy

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it was flashing red somewhere along the route that was incorrectly speed mapped, and that is what you observed rather than actually speeding Police you were exceeding the limit of the speed set in the map for the road you were on (something we have all seen from time to time) Wink -Mike
rsl33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
Just a quick question but does anyone know how to disable the flashing red warning for going over speed limits and just have the speed displayed. Maybe i'm a bad person but i do a lot of driving (40k annually) and on quiet motorways i'll drive at 80ish which is naughty i know. Anyway, I like having the speed displayed on my TomTom 300 but the flashing red warning is really annoying (esp when the limit is wrong) and has made me turn off the speed display. Any ideas?

Cheers Rich
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately in the present setup, it's not possible. Sad

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: