Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 910 disk label/partitioning lost
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 910 disk label/partitioning lost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodosom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: TT 910 disk label/partitioning lost Reply with quote

My last update attempt (using a Mac) failed. After some poking around I find that my disk label is gone. Surprising the unit still works just fine but -- no updates. So ... does anyone have the partition info? I tried making a single FAT32 partition but sadly that wasn't the answer. I really don't want to return a four month old unit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a standard FAT 16 partition.
bodosom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fo rthe response but FAT16 (type 6) is limited to a few gig depending on block size. 20G is too large isn't it? Also at the beginning of the disk I see this:
Code:
TomTomOS
qCTomTom DiskFAT32
TomTom Bootdisk - not bootable
RRaA
rrAa;
TomTomOS
qCTomTom DiskFAT32
TomTom Bootdisk - not bootable
RRaA
rrAa

which might suggest two FAT32 partitions are hiding in there.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops sorry, no idea why I typed FAT16 when I know full well it couldn't be, sorry Embarassed
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TT 910 disk label/partitioning lost Reply with quote

bodosom wrote:
After some poking around I find that my disk label is gone.
Can you not Rename the Drive to TomTom?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
bodosom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is even more odd. I can see the drive (as a FAT32 partition) with my Vista instance (which I used to copy everything off) but my Linux/Mac machines still say there's no partition information and hence TomTom Home on the Mac won't talk to the 910. I called TomTom support and they said that MacOS 10.4.9 broke things. That seems unlikely but maybe it's true.
bodosom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TT 910 disk label/partitioning lost Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Can you not Rename the Drive to TomTom?

I'm using label in the UNIX sense which is closer to partition map than a character string which identifies the disk. Without a valid partition table (or zeroed area on the disk) MacOS is unwilling to see the device.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried to access my 910 using the latest version HOME on a Macbook running 10.4.9 and HOME cannot see the GO. It reports 'no compatible device connected'.

You do know that the GO will not mount as a drive on a Mac? The only way to see it is via the HOME app. I'll ask TomTom if this issue with HOME is a known issue.
kmhphoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You do know that the GO will not mount as a drive on a Mac? The only way to see it is via the HOME app. I'll ask TomTom if this issue with HOME is a known issue.

My MacBook Pro/MacPro/GO910 experience.

Prior to the recent 10.4.9 update my GO910 mounted on the desktop as "TomTom" and could be viewed through the finder or with tomtom's "Home" software.

Since the update, the GO910 neither mounts on the desktop or is seen in "Home" if the onboard USB is used. If an external powered hub or the USB connections on an Apple keyboard are used the GO mounts as usual.

There are no problems with the update on a G4 Powerbook.

There are numerous accounts of this problem on the Apple support forums and the problem is restricted to Intel based Mac's.

TomTom and Apple are aware of the problem. A fix should be made available soon----------- we hope Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, I had never used my Mac to connect to the GO until recently but that at least explains why it isn't working!
bodosom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: TomTom 910 versus intel MacOS 10.4.9 Reply with quote

kmhphoto wrote:

There are numerous accounts of this problem on the Apple support forums and the problem is restricted to Intel based Mac's.

TomTom and Apple are aware of the problem. A fix should be made available soon----------- we hope Rolling Eyes

Hrmmm. Since I can see the device from Vista I'm willing to give some credence to an MacBook issue but I still can't see my 910 from my Linux machines. BTW, my MacBook does report the TomTom on the USB bus it just doesn't know what kind of device it is. Since Vista sees the device and the TomTom still works despite the "missing" partition map I assume there's some virtualization being provided by the TomTom. Of course I'd still like to be able to see the 910 as a USB bulk storage device and I'm not sure what changes Apple can make that will fix that problem even if they're the ones that caused the glitch in the first place.

Could you provide a pointer to the MacBook discussions? I'm still a relative Mac newcomer and am somewhat adrift.
kmhphoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 910 versus intel MacOS 10.4.9 Reply with quote

bodosom wrote:
Could you provide a pointer to the MacBook discussions? I'm still a relative Mac newcomer and am somewhat adrift.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4251015&#4251015

A workaround for the moment is to use the USB port on an Apple Keyboard or a USB hub either powered or not.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a small usb 4-Way hub, a self contained type a little larger than a mem stick. I doubted this would make any difference but I dug it out, plugged in and connected the 910 and voila! It all works.

Odd indeed. And the GO does appear as a mounted drive, for some reason i was under the misunderstanding that on Macs this was not the case.

Oh well, another nail in the Microsoft coffin as I'm ordering a Macbook Pro next week Smile
bodosom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom 910 versus intel MacOS 10.4.9 Reply with quote

kmhphoto wrote:

A workaround for the moment is to use the USB port on an Apple Keyboard or a USB hub either powered or not.

Thanks. Sadly neither powered or unpowered hub are helping and I still can't see the device from my Linux systems. Maybe I'll try an Apple keyboard. Good thing there's Bootcamp.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: