Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Loox N100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Loox N100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Loox N100 Reply with quote

I've just added the Loox N100 to my GPS collection, because of its portability and liked the look of the Navigon 6 software

However, having difficulties with postcodes

Most town or city postcodes (full) work fine, and the navigation is great, probably better than my Nuvi 300 or Navman n40i

However, when I type in some postcodes, particularly rural (example hr2 0hp) it doesn't locate it. I understand database errors and omissions, but it is using Navteq mapping, and my (much older) Navi 300 with Navteq mapping picks it up (as does the n40i). This is just one example of several I've found this, in my first week!

Also dispite "ticking the box" it doesn't show speed signage

Am I missing something?

Running v6.1 - build 118 which SEEMS to be the latest version?

Cheers! Rolling Eyes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest n100 software version is 1.57.00 which also updates navigon software to 6.1 build 118 - so yes, you have latest version.

i'm guessing that it is the map data. navigon must be issuing older maps than garmin are. the loox seems to be using the equivalent of garmins v7 (2005) maps as my i3 had v7 maps and showed a local junction to be a roundabout - however, since v8 (2006) of the maps it is now correctly shown as a crossroads. the loox shows it as a roundabout making me believe they issued old maps with the unit.

MaFt
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice - think I'll have no choice but update to the new Garmin Nuvi 670FM then, and get the v9 maps - unless anyone has a better suggestion??

Like the look of the Navigon software, and instructions etc. seem better and Garmins current offering

Has anyone go the Road Speed signage and Lane Advisor to work on the Navigon?

Cheers
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the lane advisor meant to work on the loox n100?

as for road speed signs i occasionally get told to watch my speed but there's no obvious reason why... seems quite sporadic! i gave up using the loox though cos of the pathetic little speaker on the back... having said that, i do like the navigon software although it's as slow as a really slow thing...
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Lane Advisor Reply with quote

Thought the Lane Advisor was common throughout the MN6 product line? Maybe not!

Agree that the Loox n100 is a great little unit for part-time use - but I need something a little more "solid" and up to date maps for several appointments a day!
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Loox N100 is using older maps, as we suspect, the speed limits will be rare. I think I have seen the sign but I believe it is vertually 70 mph motorway only.

Has anyone used the TMC aerial with the Loox? Just wondering how effective this is at obtaining a signal and does it attach to the earphone jack or the USB connection.

I have tried the Garmin aerial lead and the Mio C510 TMC - both USB connections - but neither seems to kick start the Loox TMC
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Loox Reply with quote

Having covered some miles since my last post, using the Loox I agree - it seems only 70 is displayed, on most motorways only

It DOES however have lane assistant, which really is a useful tool

When you mention "old maps" - I thought all versions of the Loox n100 came with Destinator 6 only, and therefore the same mapping?

What is the latest, and how do we check which we have?

Otherwise the more I use it, the more I like it, quite a nice machine, and a neat addition to the collection

Cheers!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Loox Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

It DOES however have lane assistant, which really is a useful tool

i've not ventured onto the motorway with it yet - might have to take it with me on holiday to try it out!

MaFt
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: TMC Reply with quote

Haven't tried the TMC on the Loox, but you need to update the software (download from https://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en/shop/consumer/bundlelist/898 )

The Navigon TMC unit would probably be needed from the pics on the web it LOOKS like USB with a through put for power. Maybe not! Would be better built into the mouts like with the new Mio units, keeping the simplicity of the Loox though

Still think there is something seriously wrong with the mapping though - the maps seem pretty up to date (1-2 years with local new road changes) but postcodes are missing everywhere
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Haven't tried the TMC on the Loox, but you need to update the software (download from https://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en/shop/consumer/bundlelist/898 )

I have updated the software but the TMC, in the Options, is always faded out. I assume you have to attach the TMC cable just to set your Option requirements.

If anyone can get into the TMC settings let me know and I will try the update again.

I agree, I think the maps are just a year or two old but they are not the same as used in Mio C510/710. In fact the Loox does not have a local routing error that is shared with Tomtom, Garmin & Mio. The box says Navteq but I'm sure when did a ''backup'' I saw an IGO file. Certainly the quality of the map graphics is excellent.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmc options are greyed out until you have the tmc unit connected. to be honest though i've never managed to get any info from the tmc whereas the via michelin x950 did great Smile

MaFt
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
tmc options are greyed out until you have the tmc unit connected. to be honest though i've never managed to get any info from the tmc whereas the via michelin x950 did great Smile

MaFt

Many thanks for the info.

On checking the Navigon site the UK is not included in the list of countries where their TMC is supported. They say more countries will be included but I cannot find an Email address to ask if the UK is likely to be added soon.

I have tried the Garmin GTM 12 and the Mio C510 TMC aerials (both USB - which I assume the N100 uses) but neither activates the TMC options, nevermind provide a signal.

So, not much point getting an aerial at present.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: