Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Miio - Spec cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Miio - Spec cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Miio - Spec cameras Reply with quote

Just went through a load of the damn things on the A2 roadworks.

I get a quick warble at each cam and the average speed shows 0 and quickly changes to some value way above the limit which is rubbish as I was sitting on 50 or less for miles.

How is it *supposed* to work?
ROBCALLY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem when it locates a speed camera it displays the speed in kilometers ie. 48 instead of 30, 64 instead of 40 and 80 instead of 50 mph.
I have tried everything in the settings and installed all the software and updates still no joy.
Coould it be something in the GPSW database software.
No one seems to have the answer and i wonder if anyone out there gets the right display on their MIO 510E.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this using the MTC file?

can you let me know either way and i can look into it.

thanks

MaFt
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Miio - Spec cameras Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
I get a quick warble at each cam and the average speed shows 0 and quickly changes to some value way above the limit which is rubbish as I was sitting on 50 or less for miles

The first obvious thing that I can suggest trying is turn off the navigation and have the unit sitting in the 'Cockpit' screen so that only the time and speed are displayed.

By doing this, you should easily be able to see exactly what speed the Mio thinks you're travelling at and see if this drifts in the same way as the speed in the camera alert.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the speed displayed in cockpit mode with or without navigation and it matched the speedo near as damn it. I was doing 50, Mio thought I was doing 50 and the average was in one case sixty something - NOT.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a bug in the software.

The only time I've come across a SPECS camera, the Mio seemed to tie in with what the speedo was reading.

As far as I understand, with these cameras the Mio should display both the speed limit and the speed at which you are travelling.

If, hoever, the current speed on the cockpit screen does not agree with the speed in the speed camera warning then this can only be software because the Mio is telling you that it is travelling at two different speeds within the same vehicle.
dpmguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Post Subject Reply with quote

I am pretty certain that the Mio works in Km per hour for the speed camera speeds. See this post from Sally Ann in the Mio Speed Camera builder thread.

Sallyann wrote:
I think this is about the marked speeds on the cameras, rather than the over-speed warnings. If so it's a known problem mentioned in these threads:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48934&highlight=cameras+km

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46976&highlight=cameras+km

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43864&highlight=cameras+km

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=44501&highlight=cameras+km

The last one also mentions your direction problem. I suspect what is happening is that the camera editing bug prevents your direction setting from properly aligning with the road. If you have a camera whose direction you want to set properly, instead of using the Mio edit facility find the particular camera in the .ASC list (by searching on its's lat/long), add the direction data to that record and re-build the .mtc file. You will find the instructions to do this in page 4 of this thread.

Sal

DPM
-------------------------------
Mio C510E - 1st purchase very impressed.
Now running V3.2
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBCALLY wrote:
I have the same problem when it locates a speed camera it displays the speed in kilometers ie. 48 instead of 30, 64 instead of 40 and 80 instead of 50 mph.

It's been noted in the past that when approaching a camera it displays on the screen as kph rather than mph. But the alarm operates at the correct mph speed. If you find a camera on the map, click on it and then press "Edit Cam", it should display the speed correctly in mph. Please try this and let me know.

Sal
ROBCALLY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am using the MTC FILE. am i right in saying thatwhen the Mio 510 approaches a speed camera it displays the speed on the camera alert in kilometers instead of MPH and it cannot be changed in anyway.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to be the effect you are observing. If you could answer my question that will confirm whether you have a different issue.

Sal
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in my case I keep it on metric as I can't stand the switching between fractions of a mile and yards. For all practical purposes metres = yards at navigating speeds. By the time the voice has said the distance it has changed dramatically anyway. Also as a bonus it says "Motorway" rather than "Highway" :-) It does *not* affect the normal speed camera warnings.

Now wether this has any bearing on the spec problem I don't know. It would also seem that possibly it needs a pair, because after I left the A2 into Dartford the last cam & speeds stayed on screen well into the town centre.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certain that the SPECS need to be in pairs. I tried it out by entering some SPECS where there were not any to try out the effect. If there are only two, it seems to work ok (but see below) but if there are three, which I believe hapens in real life on occasions, it screws up because Mio is looking for the second one of the pair. To get rid of the warning, tap the camera icon after you have exited the speed trap.
The other thing that seems to screw it up is that if a camera is detected, then 'goes away' possibly due to a bend and then retriggers the Mio which seems to assume it is the second in the pair, or the first of a completely new pair.

The well documented display of speed seems ever weirder on mine with SPECS. On approach the trap speed is in km/hr but when inside the measured area, the trap speed changes to mph, but the average speed readout is in km/hr, which is really confusing. Anyone else noticed this little foible?
I have emailed Mio about this, but no reply, what a surprise. And the latest release (March 07) of 3.2 which I happened upon does not fix it either.

Trevor

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: