Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TomTom in trouble ? ? ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TomTom in trouble ? ? ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Is TomTom in trouble ? ? ? Reply with quote

Having just seen the new Nokia N95 phone with built in GPS I'm wondering if TomTom have problems.

The reason for this is if you can buy a phone with built in GPS for free, why would you want to buy a x10 unit. This gets more complicated, as TomTom produce a version of there Navigator products for Nokia phones is it in TomTom's interest to further develop the Nokia version of this software? The N95 & Navigator software really raises concerns, especially when these are fitted with professional handfree kits?

This is just a discussion topic, I'm interested in what others think?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one of those N95s to replace my stolen N90 but it won't persuade me to discard my 910. I used the N90 with a TomTom BT device when walking around London and the like but it wasn't really up tp in-car navigation. The screen is too small and you lose navigation when you get a call. They are really for different markets.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still prefer the pocket PC based phones, the HTC Artemis and MDA Compact - III or even the O2 Orbit are great devices with inbuilt GPS, load TomTom and for car based navigation you would be hard pushed to beat it. Take it off road with Memory Map installed and it can do that as well.
In the office I have a wealth of other software available at my finger tips, difficult with the smart phone (if not impossible, as the software doesn't support the platform).

The Nokia idea is great and will bring the world of GPS to a larger audience, but I still think you need the application, map and full routing capability available without an online connection.

Screen size is an issue, go much smaller than the 2,8" of the Arte and you will struggle, you really need to be able to see the device as well as listen to what it is saying. When the Nokia devices grow up and accommodate other software I might be tempted, for now the PPC devices are the way to go, WM6 might see a shift across platforms for software, time will tell, the Symbian OS just doesn't have the support from the software developers for me as yet.

The Artemis (and derivatives) offer a unit with a phone size form factor, whilst providing full multi-function capability.

The PNA devices like the 910 are great (and I wouldn't want to ditch that from my vehicle) - but in terms of smart phone capability the N95 and others still need to catch up quite a distance from what I have seen in terms of software availability and stability - Mike
rob_ridley7ttw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Nav6 on an N73 Nokia

But a real unit is probably always better - the maps and navigation is fantastic, but it's a pain trying to read the addition info like times, distance, speed etc
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The predicted future sales pattern for AIO's, PPC's and Phones show a sharp decline in PPC's and a very steep climb in AIO's and Phones with AIO's outselling Phone solutions by a large margin.

Phone Nav solutions are handy as backups but aren't going to replace a large screen.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Nokia phones.
One just for TomTom with GPRS traffic, and the other for phone calls.

The phone solution is much nore discrete than having a great dedicated GPS brick stuck to your windscreen which attracts thieves.

Only downside to the phone is the screen size, when you want to check your speed and arrival time on the navigation screen.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is TomTom in trouble ? ? ? Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

The reason for this is if you can buy a phone with built in GPS for free,

how do you buy a phone free Rolling Eyes

joking.

i think you'll find it's very expensive in the long run, as the saying goes, "you don't get something for nothing".

Plus as it's a phone, the cost will be recovered in the price of calls, and there won't be any "Updates". And you can't take advantage of the safety camera database on PGPSW.
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new N95 yesterday and it's terrific. If you want the turn by turn voice directions, you have to pay extra, and it's about £43 for the year I think, or that might be forever I'm not sure. Anyway, I just did the week's trial for £4.50 and used it to go to some local places and it works very well.

However, I wouldn't dream of replacing my Go510 with such a small unit, and I'm not sure if the traffic jam capabilities are as good, but I wanted the N95 to used when walking about in, say, a strange town.

I thought I might have had trouble pairing the N95 with the Go510 but although it wasn't on the phone list, I just chose "Other" and it paired up easily.

I paid £49.95 for the N95 on a T Mobile Flext Contract which is normally £35 per month, but as I took out a new contract, it was only £30 per month. They also threw in a free Nokia bluetooth set which retails at £30.

I'm also impressed by the fact that it will connect to the internet via WiFi, so I can browse the internet, with proper pages using the home hub. Add to that the 5 megapixel camera and fantastic quality video and it's the ultimate gadget. I would strongly suggest that you bought a micro sd card with it though, as you don't get one included so if you want to store large files, or a lot of them, a card is essential.
rob_ridley7ttw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you install TT, say Navigator 6 for Symbian on an N95 and use it's inbuilt GPS?

I've got it on my N73 and it's a bit of a pain for out of car use as I've gotta lug my GPS receiver round with the phone
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, currently it cannot see or control the built-in GPS on the n95
rob_ridley7ttw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully that will change!!

Is that a Nokia limitation, or a TT limitation?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT limitation.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: