Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One V2 Not Turning On
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One V2 Not Turning On
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KPGills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: TomTom One V2 Not Turning On Reply with quote

Hi All,

I purchased a TomTom One V2 from Currys online a couple of months ago. I`ve used it a couple of times and it worked fine, but it was left for a couple of weeks without being charged.

It`s now been on charge for 5 hours and will not turn on. The only way to get it to work is to reset it using a pin etc to push the button in under the unit. If I reset the unit it works fine, but as soon as I turn it off it will not turn on again until it`s reset.

Is this a problem with the unit which need returning to the shop, or can it be easily solved?

Thanks alot,

Keith
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom One V2 Not Turning On Reply with quote

KPGills wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a TomTom One V2 from Currys online a couple of months ago. I`ve used it a couple of times and it worked fine, but it was left for a couple of weeks without being charged.

It`s now been on charge for 5 hours and will not turn on. The only way to get it to work is to reset it using a pin etc to push the button in under the unit. If I reset the unit it works fine, but as soon as I turn it off it will not turn on again until it`s reset.

Is this a problem with the unit which need returning to the shop, or can it be easily solved?

Thanks alot,

Keith

Try holding the reset button in for 30+secs then the power button in for 10+secs.
bob_nl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be a feature of the new version Tomtom1, and I have experienced it so often I now carry a safety pin attached to the carry case to facilitate a reset.

I think Tomtom need to be doing something about it.

Bob
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob_nl wrote:
This appears to be a feature of the new version Tomtom1, and I have experienced it so often I now carry a safety pin attached to the carry case to facilitate a reset.

I think Tomtom need to be doing something about it.

Bob

Yeah, they should supply a paperclip with every unit Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It aways amazes me how hard it is to find something else that does the job of a paperclip, when the real thing isn't available :x (they're also used for manually opening jammed CD trays on computers etc.)
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been know on occasion to use one to hold sheets of paper together - wacky I know Laughing
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinymera wrote:
I've been know on occasion to use one to hold sheets of paper together - wacky I know Laughing

Wierdo!
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
Big_Al51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Thank goodness for this forum Reply with quote

Thank goodness for this forum.

I am also a new user of TomTom One v2 and after successfully using the my new toy to find my way at the weekend thought all was hunky dory. My mood changed somewhat though when come Monday the bl***y thing would not switch on. I assumed that somehow the battery must have drained and so connected it via the USB cable to charge (what's that all about? - surely a proper charger should be included with the device). Anyhow, after the stipulated 2 hour charging period, I tried again, and again it would not switch on. Battery still not charged I thought. After 8 hours it still wouldn't switch on and I was getting ready to dispatch the damn thing back to it's maker. Thankfully I found this forum and all was revealed.

However, I don't think users should be required to carry a paper clip in order to use their device. If TomTom can't get something as simple as an on/off switch right it does make you wonder about the rest of the device. OK, using the reset does work, but surely this should be thoroughly explained in the supplied manual. Try as I might, I can find no reference to it, it not even shown on any of the diagrams!

The recharging system is crazy, a proper mains charging lead should be provided with the device. How do you know when the battery is charged? The green charging light is permanently lit when I connect mine to the computer via the USB cable. Does it go out when fully charged?

TomTom Home seems quite flakey to me. It's got a mind of it's own. Recognition of the attached TomTom device seems to be a completely random affair - if it can be bothered it will converse, but often it can't be 'bovered' and just ignores you.

When it is working this device is superb, very simple to use and efficient. It is a shame it is let down by poor maintenance software, lack of a decent charger and inadequate documentation.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank goodness for this forum Reply with quote

Big_Al51 wrote:
However, I don't think users should be required to carry a paper clip in order to use their device.
Another tip is to take the SD Card out for 30 secs. Re-insert and try again. It works for me.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tap the main screen where the satellite strength bars are you should get the route overview screen and that has a battery level indicator.
Don't worry about overcharging, it won't let that happen.
Also if the battery level gets very low, you get a red flashing battery symbol on the main screen.
dandare38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info Wink

I nearly flung it against the fekn wall - stupis reset switch Embarassed
ally323
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What all does the reset switch do though? Does that mean you would loose all your preference settings, POI settings etc? I like the idea of the SD card trick though, will try that next time.

I also find that if it is connected to the PC it will switch on after many attempts, no use when you are out in the car though!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ally323 wrote:
What all does the reset switch do though?
It is like re-booting a PC. It clears the memory and then re-reads the Data from the SD Card.

If you take the SD Card out, make sure the Device is turned off first.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
ally323 wrote:
What all does the reset switch do though?
It is like re-booting a PC. It clears the memory and then re-reads the Data from the SD Card.

If you take the SD Card out, make sure the Device is turned off first.;)

Not necessary. Still reboots even if still on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: