Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM one Reply with quote

I have subscribed for a month to try this camera thing out and I downloaded the files and installed them ok (considering Im a green technophobe who knows nothing about this kind of thing).
I have a question it is...I have 2 poi entrys from pocket gps one has a picture of a camera on a tripod (Ithink) and is called "pocketgps uk pmobile" and the other is a picture of a camera like you see in the street and is called "pocketgps uk sc"
Please go easy with me and tell me what they are and should I enable warnings for them both? (i have anyway).
Could a key be published on the website so that logos can be identified by thick people like me? Thats 2 questions soory.
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read here to see if this helps you
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras
If you still have problems after reading that post here and we will help further
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TOMTOM one Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
I have a question it is...I have 2 poi entrys from pocket gps one has a picture of a camera on a tripod (Ithink) and is called "pocketgps uk pmobile" and the other is a picture of a camera like you see in the street and is called "pocketgps uk sc"
The two files are both Speed Camera POI files, the one called pmobile contains the location of unchecked mobile camera locations, these can sometimes be accurate, othertimes they are not, the members of the site asked for this information to be included with the download. The reason it is seperate is so you have the choice to install it or not.

The other file pocketgps_uk_sc is the single file download that contains all the current camera locations in a single POI Category, should you want more information from the device when it is warnings you of the camera location consider the Consolodated by type Speed Camera download which can differentiate between the different camera types, or the Speed Zoned Camera Database which not only tells you the type of camera but also its rated speed - Mike
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mike, What would you recommend for a beginer like me? I am happy with the two files you have just described and will keep them both for now but when i update I will maybe try the consolidated files ...do you think they are better?
Thanks again for your prompt replies and for your help.
Pete
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, It is really down to what you want to get from the device - I only ever use the speed zoned file set, because I want the most information - however this does take longer to set up (not too long though and you only do it once).

It is often best to start with the single file version until you are familiar with loading/ configuring POI on the device.

I would try out the database you have loaded to the device, see what you think over a week or so, then consider either the consolidated by type or go for the speed zoned and try that, you can always revert to the single file after if you don't like the extra warnings - its all down to personal preferences at the end of the day.

If you do decide to try one of the other databases remove the pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2 file from your map folder otherwise you will get double warnings when using either of the other downloads - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, good advice from Mike there. The one thing I'd add is that in your single "combined" file (the one with the normal camera symbol) are all the fixed cameras (Gatsos, Redlight-jumping, average speed SPECS ones , etc.) BUT ALSO all the known mobile camera sites.
(the possible mobile sites are in the other one).

This means that when you are out and about, you will often get a warning when there is no visible camera, because you are actually being warned of a mobile site (which in all probability won't have a camera van or whatever there at that precise moment).

Now... being warned of these sites is a good thing, but with the single "combined" file, you've got no way of telling its only a mobile site, so you end up thinking that its warning you of loads of cameras that aren't really there.
More than anything else, this to me is a good reason for converting to one of the more "helpful" versions of the database as soon as you feel comfortable. Then you will have a different on-screen picture for each camera type, and even a different sound or voice alert if you wish.

As Mike says, just remember to delete the single file when you install one of the other sets, otherwise you will get alerted twice for everything!
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from you chaps and thank you very much, I will stick with the two files for now and next update will try the speed zone files.
You both advise removing the existing files and mike advises going into map file and removing them, Can I go to manage poi's and delete them from the tom tom without connecting to the pc?
Thanks again for your help. It's a great forum for newbies like me.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can delete the POI from the device itself Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Delete POI Category - find the file in the list , select it and then confirm the removal.
I would usually delete through the PC as I would have the device connected for the update anyway, but you can remove the file either way - Mike
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did the camera by speed and type file and have enabled them all with sounds...mostly for the ones I recognise ive used the polite tone 2 but the "specs" have a cow mooing and the redlights have a bell ringing...great stuff this....If I update them do I have to go through the same rigmarole ???? Can I make the camera warnings vocal...I know I am trying to run before I can walk but don't worry I will fall over in a minute!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done alright so far. ;)

mrgrimsby wrote:
Can I make the camera warnings vocal...
Have a look at #5 on the FAQs Page

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well chaps I have now got talking warnings on my device and it seems to work very well..I am very very impressed with the advice I have had and the results.
There is one set of cameras which still ask for the warning sound (bell.polite ect) these are cameras with blue writing depicting the speed limit , these are pmobile files...is this normal or didi i miss something?
The ladies voice is fine too she sounds ok to me...I would ask her out to lunch!!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
Well chaps I have now got talking warnings on my device and it seems to work very well..I am very very impressed with the advice I have had and the results.
There is one set of cameras which still ask for the warning sound (bell.polite ect) these are cameras with blue writing depicting the speed limit , these are pmobile files...is this normal or didi i miss something?
The ladies voice is fine too she sounds ok to me...I would ask her out to lunch!!
If I remember correctly, the Ogg sets don't come with pMobile files. Copying the Mobile Ogg to match the pMobile file name should fix it.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that BGF , how do you do that then? Please,
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a copy of the mobile audio files (the ogg file set) they will be tittled:
pocketgps_uk_mobile_xx.ogg (where xx = the applicable speed), then rename each of the files to match the POI file name, which for pmobiles will mean:
pocketgps_uk_mobile_xx.ogg changes to pocketgps_uk_pmobile_xx.ogg

You will need to do the above for each pmobile category, then place the ogg files into the map folder and configure the pmoble camera warnings to make sure the software knows the ogg files are present.

Note - If you don't see the .ogg file extension after the file name you can turn this on by viewing the files in Windows Explorer, go to tools/ folder options, select the view tab and un-check the tick box for "hide extensions for known file types" - this will avoid the often encountered incorrectly named files where pocketgps_uk_mobile_xx.ogg.ogg can happen - and the device will not see the file if incorrectly named - Mike
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that mike . I have realised these files are the unverified cameras and I have decided to leave them in but not asign a voice to them I will just set a sound then as they draw closer to me and the alarm sounds I will know what they are and what not to expect if you get my drift.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: