Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where do I buy a standalone unit?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do I buy a standalone unit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Where do I buy a standalone unit? Reply with quote

Hi,

I already have the TT2 software which I bought sepparately. I want to now buyt the TT2 BT GPS unit. Expansys who used to do them, now no longer do. They have said that TT have stopped selling them as standalone units.

Where can I get one!

Al
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Old stock Reply with quote

Apparently TomTom are now only selling the unit with the software as people were buying the hardware then using pirated versions of the software.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC World were the last place that I know of to have stock of the standalone BT GPS. It is true that these are now longer available on their own, unless you can find old stock then you're out of luck or consider one of the other better BT GPS units?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Old stock Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Apparently TomTom are now only selling the unit with the software as people were buying the hardware then using pirated versions of the software.

I can't see how being able to buy a standalone GPS makes any difference to piracy of the Navigator software. I thought all copies of TomTom Navigator 2 had to be activated, irrespective of the GPS hardware used. Am I wrong on this?

David
Aman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
consider one of the other better BT GPS units?

I found that www.handnav.co.uk had them. However was recommended by him to get the Emtac one - which I did!

Regarding the piracy issue - I'm in the predicament where I've lost my TomTom 2 cd. I need to re-install the application on my ipaq because the map data will be kept on a new SD card as opposed to the flash card Navman GPS jacket I have.

To cut a long story short - I emailed TT who can't help out without a serial number (which was with the cd cover). So I'm screwed. Strange that when I registered my software, they had my email address and home address etc. But, they still can't verify me. Bummer.

I've just placed an order for Copilot as an alternative.

I've seen TT2 application with a crack i.e. doesn't need registration and with all the European maps posted on Usenet. Sorely tempted... however, I'll see what Copilot does for me.

Al.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aman wrote:
I'm in the predicament where I've lost my TomTom 2 cd. I need to re-install the application on my ipaq because the map data will be kept on a new SD card as opposed to the flash card Navman GPS jacket I have.

To cut a long story short - I emailed TT who can't help out without a serial number (which was with the cd cover).

I think I've mentioned what I do with serial numbers before in the forum - but there's no harm in mentioning it again.

I keep two Excel files - one for PC software, the other for Pocket PC software. In each, I record the name of the application, the version number I have installed, the download URL if any, any order numbers, online receipt numbers or similar, also the serial numbers (including serial numbers of products used to qualify those bought as upgrades). I have literally thousands of pounds worth of software across my three PCs and my Pocket PC - replacing my Veritas Backup Exec for Windows Servers key and my Microsoft Office XP keys would cost me well in excess of a thousand pounds.

These Excel files are backed up by my tape backup system - and get copied occasionally to CD for added security. In the same folders, I keep installers in folders by program name and version number, also any registration keys or registration programs. I even record the serial numbers for operating systems where the Certificate of Authenticity is physically affixed to the hardware - if nothing else, it can be easier than scrabbling round the back of the machine if I have to reinstall Windows!

I may well gradually copy this data to Ilium's eWallet - not least so that I have all my keys on my Pocket PC as well (though I am very tempted to make copies of the files and drop them into my synchronised My Documents folder, which indeed I've just done).

In fact, this data is so valuable, thinking about it, that I'll probably sit down and set up the facility to synchronise these files to some file space I have on a UNIX server that is geographically remote from my location.

As you say, even if the software is physically destroyed, having the serial numbers can be sufficient to secure replacements at minimal cost. Software assets are expensive and, to my way of thinking at least, are worth looking after properly.

In fact, I've just frightened myself! I have somewhere around US$300 of software on my Pocket PC - excluding TomTom Navigator 2 and a couple of hundred dollars worth of Laridian products.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: