Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Garmin files to load ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Garmin files to load ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Which Garmin files to load ? Reply with quote

Hi, first post and noob as well Embarassed

Have two sat navs, Tom Tom 910 and Garmin C510 Deluxe, now the 910 is a dodle to update but the C510 aint so easy. The POI Loader is dreadfully slow to the point one thinks its not installing ...but if you be patient it will install.......eventually Crying or Very sad
On this site there are 5 files under the Garmin index for installing, question is which ones do i need please.
I have installed the "UK Single file with all Camera GPX " ......but then there is....

UK GPSR Map overlay(older GPS Systems)
UK Speed Zoned complete (24 files)
UK POILoader i3, Nuvi etc
UK Mapsource gdb format.

Now as a coach driver my real interest is having the speed camera data fully up to date and the uk maps, so which of the above files do I need to instal other than the one already done ?

Also......if and when the speed camera database gets updated does one need to delete the old file before installing new one.

Thanks..... :D
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Which Garmin files to load ? Reply with quote

Graeme57 wrote:

UK GPSR Map overlay(older GPS Systems)
This gives a visual only warning of the cameras on the unit-not really for your unit!

UK Speed Zoned complete (24 files)
This is an incorrect statement because there are 33 files in it!
This gives more detail, the actual icon - is shown with speed!
A great database!

UK POILoader i3, Nuvi etc

UK Mapsource gdb format.
The real value of this, is for viewing on the PC with your MapSource program. You can see all camera locations on a PC screen for your route, and note which you need to sumbit for verification ie those that start with pMOBILE!!

Also......if and when the speed camera database gets updated does one need to delete the old file before installing new one.
POI loader overwrites the previous database

Thanks..... :D

This is a zoned database view!
Graeme57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that info :D

So...I've already installed the UK Single file with all Camera GPX file, from what you say I'd now need to install the UK Speed Zoned complete (33 files) ?

Will that over ride the UK single file or be in addition too ?

What I need is advance warning of camera plus speed for that section of road, bearing in mind that coaches have a lower speed limit than cars do on same section of road Confused

Bit Off topic.....but nice part of country you live in, we had a brill holiday down in Pembrokeshire a few years back, the Bitches are great to ride on in a Rib eh Wink
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme57 wrote:
Thanks very much for that info :D

So...I've already installed the UK Single file with all Camera GPX file, from what you say I'd now need to install the UK Speed Zoned complete (33 files) ?

I do not use your Garmin unit but judging by comments from others the zoned will work well!

Should be instead of the single file!

What I need is advance warning of camera plus speed for that section of road, bearing in mind that coaches have a lower speed limit than cars do on same section of road Confused

The zoned database gives an audible and visual warning of the next speed camera but also [with a lower zoom level] a visual warning of all cameras in the vicinity with their speed value.

Bit Off topic.....but nice part of country you live in, we had a brill holiday down in Pembrokeshire a few years back, the Bitches are great to ride on in a Rib eh Wink

I hope the other readers don't get offended with your comment:-
the Bitches are great to ride on!!! :D

For those who do not know the Bitches - it is a notorious stretch of water between St. Davids Lifeboat Station and Ramsey Island, and you can ride the tide in fast boats!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=51.86552104982179++-5.329656600952148&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&z=12&ll=51.884544,-5.291977&spn=0.141983,0.4319&iwloc=addr
Graeme57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Graeme57"]

quote]

Help ... Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad :D
Graeme57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice please for above Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just install the speed zoned database and you will have the relevent camera speed icon showing. or you can install the consolidated files (POI Loader - i3, nuvi etc) and you will get a warning on the bar at the top saying speed warning ahead 30mph etc.

as for lower speeds for coaches etc then does a speed camera have the ability to detect if it's a truck or not? i highly doubt it so i presume that the speed camera would be set at 30mph for ANY vehicle...

MaFt
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Garmin files to load ? Reply with quote

Graeme57 wrote:
Hi, first post and noob as well Embarassed

Have two sat navs, Tom Tom 910 and Garmin C510 Deluxe, now the 910 is a dodle to update but the C510 aint so easy. The POI Loader is dreadfully slow to the point one thinks its not installing ...but if you be patient it will install.......eventually Crying or Very sad

The POI Loader installs ALL POIs each time - i.e. you don't just add to the list - it complies a new POI file each time. This is what takes the time. However once you've loaded the speed camera db it is working immediately, with TT the very first time you load a set of POIs you need to manually configure the warnings (and associated sounds) for each group of POIs - time consuming and prone to errors.

I have used both systems and find the GARMIN to be simpler - once you understand that ALL POIs have to be in the same folder. The length of time is not that bad - about a minute on my nuvi 660 for 30K+ points - not worth worrying about IMHO.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: