Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NavMan iCN 520 - "no gps signal" message for twent
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NavMan iCN 520 - "no gps signal" message for twent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmc86uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: NavMan iCN 520 - "no gps signal" message for twent Reply with quote

Hi all,

I bought my dad a NavMan iCN 520 for Christmas. He has been using it for the past week and is not happy with it at all. It takes 20 minutes everytime to find a GPS signal. He used to use TomTom 5 on an iPAQ which had no problems at all. Is it worth ringing NavMan tech support up or where I bought it from? Or if any of you on here have an idea how to fix it?

Cheers
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: NavMan iCN 520 - "no gps signal" message for t Reply with quote

rmc86uk wrote:
Hi all,

I bought my dad a NavMan iCN 520 for Christmas. He has been using it for the past week and is not happy with it at all. It takes 20 minutes everytime to find a GPS signal. He used to use TomTom 5 on an iPAQ which had no problems at all. Is it worth ringing NavMan tech support up or where I bought it from? Or if any of you on here have an idea how to fix it?
Cheers

When you use it for the first time, it takes a while to acquire a signal. Thereafter, if you are stationary, then it should get a signal in 30 secs or less. If you are moving, then it can sometimes take some while. If you Dad has an athermic windscreen, then that may be causing the problem. Check the car handbook. Or go to

here

where you can read all about athermic windscreens and check your particular car/model.

Oh! and Welcome to the Forum
Graham
rmc86uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again and thanks for your reply. We have checked the van manual and it does not have an athermic windscreen. My Dad says that the van is stood still when he inputs the address and still doesn't know why it is taking ages to receive a gps signal.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmc86uk wrote:
Hi again and thanks for your reply. We have checked the van manual and it does not have an athermic windscreen. My Dad says that the van is stood still when he inputs the address and still doesn't know why it is taking ages to receive a gps signal.

Ah! Inputs the Address might be the clue. Try switching on and wait for the satellite acquisition,then input your destination or route.
rmc86uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also tried using it in my car which no difference. I think it is faulty because one minute the destination was 500ft away, the next it 800ft away and suddenly stopped responding and didn't tell me to turn.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds faulty to me. Get a replacement. Although vans have a steep windsheild and roof over the cab can make the view of the sky "limited". One last step, even just to humor the tech support guys - hold the iCN out side the car and see how long it takes to get a fix.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmc86uk wrote:
Also tried using it in my car which no difference. I think it is faulty because one minute the destination was 500ft away, the next it 800ft away and suddenly stopped responding and didn't tell me to turn.

In that case get a replacement - I agree with robertn Thumbs Up
rmc86uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your replies. I used it in my own car today on the way to work and it still wouldn't get a gps fix. I looked at the gps status in the preferences and it was acquiring then losing it every 10 seconds or so. I have also stood out in the court yard at work with it and still no joy . I think i'll ring the support up today but I've read bad things about them.

Thanks again
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmc86uk wrote:
thanks for all your replies. I used it in my own car today on the way to work and it still wouldn't get a gps fix. I looked at the gps status in the preferences and it was acquiring then losing it every 10 seconds or so. I have also stood out in the court yard at work with it and still no joy . I think i'll ring the support up today but I've read bad things about them.
Thanks again

Good luck with the chat with Tech support - I've always found them helpful. Meanwhile, just try a hard reset on the unit just in case there has been a corruption in the software........well nothing lost by trying Wink
rmc86uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone again.

I am just giving you an updat onto the problem which I had last month. Well I sent the ICN520 back to Navman for investigation and it was back within a week with comments from the engineer, "reset gps, tested - ok." Well guess what? It still doesn't work. I waited a good ten minutes the other day for it to get a signal then two hours later still no signal. Having logged another call with Navman it is to be sent away for the second time but I just know it's going to come back with the comments, "could not replicate problem." Can anyone advise on how I go about getting a replacement rather than repair? Also can you tell me how to to a hard-reset on the device?

Thank very much
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run a series of test yourslef, before and after you send it for repair. Standing outside the car, in an open space with lots of sky visible, time how long it takes to get a fix. Do this 3 times in row, on 3 seperate occations at least 12 hours apart.

The expected result is the first time on each occasion should be < Cold start time, the subsquent ones should be < warm start time if done within a few minutes. - Check the specs for a warm start and cold start in your manual - if it is taking longer, they have sold you faulty product or they are guilty of misleading conduct.

Assuming the tests do show you have a problem - insist on your money back so you can buy a TT, and be completely unreasonable about it, then let them negotiate down to giving you a replacement.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Are you just turning it on? Are you getting the green satellite icon on the bottom LHS, or is it changing to red, then green, then red all the time.
With all previous routes cancelled, so it has a fresh start to acquire the satellites. Click on the house, at the bottom of the screen click clear previous route, select clear, yes? If you do not clear any previous routes, that are incomplete it will certainly cause similar problems to the type, you are talking about.
Hope this helps and I hope you do not have a rouge unit.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also can you tell me how to to a hard-reset on the device?

I don't know where this phrase originally came from, but it's has been used on this forum for some time Rolling Eyes

Soft reset = switch the device off on the 'Power' button on the top right-hand front of you Navman.

Hard reset = turn the battery off on the battery switch at the back bottom left of your Navman, then on again. Wink
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If you do a hard reset, the GPS will default to factory settings, so if you have altered anything you will have to do it all over again?
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: