Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOM ONE v2 and Herbert Richter Vent Mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM ONE v2 and Herbert Richter Vent Mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snarff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: TOM ONE v2 and Herbert Richter Vent Mount Reply with quote

I've just ordered a TomTom One v2, and want to get a vent mount for it. I originally wanted a Brodit Proclip/Brodit Passive holder combination, but discovered that you can't really remove the WHOLE unit from the dashboard everytime you get out of the car.

SO...

I've been looking at the Herbert Richter vent mounts for my TomTom (see link below)

http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=3464

Question: Is this all I need to mount my TomTom, or do I need to buy an adapter of some sort? Also is this any good?

They also do a 'vibration free' version:

http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=4642

Has anybody got any advice on these things?

Thanks in advance for any help.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like they are designed to hold PDAs. Just how would you attach you TomTom One to this?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of the Brodit mounts is they are low profile and covert. With their 'MOVE' clip system you can easily remove the device mount itself in seconds and all that is left is the ProClip which does not look like a mount at all when bare.

Take a look at this image which is of an installation in a Discovery.

If you look closely at the Smartphone holder, you can just about make out the two parts of the MOVE clip. One half sticks to the Dash ProClip mount. The other half sticks the Brodit Phone Cradle. To remove the cradle you just slide it up and off, to install you do the reverse. When removed there is just a simple black ProClip with the MOVE clip on it. I use these to allow me to change devices as I am often reviewing three or four at a time.
davewhit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate i got one of these and works great on my dashboard rather than the windscreen

dave

eBay Link.
snarff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble with the Brodit is that the Proclip stays in the car. If a thief is used to nicking SatNavs, and these Brodits are fairly popular, then it's just another thing for him/her to look out for (other than rings or mount on screen).

The vent mount is the only thing that can be unclipped quickly and easily. The link I posted says that it works with TomTom, so it doesn't just seem to be for PDA's.

Surely somebody's tried one of these vent mounts with a TomTom!? 8O

(btw, thanks davewhit for the link, but I can't see anywhere that the suction mount could be fitted in my car, without it being visble to thieves)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vent mounts are a waste of time, they rarely work well and won't hold the weight of a PND and the one you linked to would need an adapter of some sort to work with a TomTom anyway. A suction mount can be removed just as easily if needed.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a vent mount, and it was a b*****d to remove. The back of the mount had a "barb" which hooked behind the vent to stop it coming out accidentally. I ended up having to snap the plastic to get it off.
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the vent mount. The original one by TomTom themselves. It's expensive but does the job.

Yes it does have "Barbs" to prevent it falling out. If you want to release it just insert a knife between the vent fin and the barb. GENTLY glides out, but it is fiddly.

Works for me though.... Smile
snarff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVR: sounds good. Don't seem to be able to find the vent mount on TomTom's website so I assume that they don't do it anymore.

TomDavison:Apart from it being tricky to remove, was it ok when it was attached?

Thanks for the responses btw.

I can't seem to find out if the TomTom One v1 mount is the same as the TT1 v2 mount. Does anybody know if a mount made for v1 will fit v2?

Cheers.
snarff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, I think I;ve found it on TomTom's website - "Alternative Mount Kit" - decription says it all really... Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: