Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "File access error"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"File access error"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulD28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: "File access error" Reply with quote

When I'm in my car and my 720T is in the car's cradle and plugged in to my TMC I want to "Navigate to" somewhere and TT works out a route it comes up with a message in the top right of the screen stating "Unable to store map settings: File access error".
It doesn't seem to do this if I haven't got it connected in the car.

Also when I turn off my engine (say at petrol station) and leave my TT on (as you would do) then switch on my ignition again my TT re-boots and has to recalculate the route.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the 720 using Windows Explorer. There is a folder called gns and in that folder is a file called gnsdata. See if you can delete it - if you can't, it's corrupted (if you can, it doesn't matter, because the 720 will recreate it automatically next time it's needed, no harm done). I think you'll agree the 720 still works even when giving that error report, just doesn't do things like storing your recent destinations, new favourites, etc, etc. I'd imagine it doesn't do that error report when not connected, simply because you're not doing anything which requires saving (writing to memory).

That's usually the file access error thing and is often a conflict between using RDS-TMC and handsfree bluetooth phone. To sort it, search the forum for gnsdata. The cure is a complete reformat etc. Don't even try this if you are not competetnt with Windows Explorer and have a backup taken using Windows Explorer, not Home!

As for reboots, that sounds like it's getting a jolt from the ignition switch-on and I have no experience of it happening myself. I have mine set to switch off anyway when external power is lost - surprising how low the battery can get just running in the forecourt, that may even be the cause of your reboots.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "File access error" Reply with quote

PaulD28 wrote:
"Unable to store map settings: File access error".

Try deleting the MapSettings.cfg file in the Western_Europe map folder, it is this file that is responsible for storing map settings and can get corupted, if its not there the next time the device boots up it will create a new file. This will wipe out any settings such as your Home address and and POI Warnings - Mike
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be another reason - if you store anything on your SD card, there is a tiny switch on the card which makes it read-only. Maybe that's the answer?

Alan
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or maybe MapSettings.cfg has somehow got the "read only" flag set - I've seen that before.

Check it by right clicking on the file while connected to the PC and selecting "properties"
taylorapuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had this problem it was because the filesystem on the device had got corrupted slightly (this can happen if you remove it from the cradle before safely removing it from the PC). I used standard Chkdsk tool in Windows to fix it:
e.g. in XP Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the TomTom disk.
Click Properties, and then click Tools.
Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.

Alternative if you have a full backup you can reformat the device and restore the backup.
PaulD28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "File access error" Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
PaulD28 wrote:

Try deleting the MapSettings.cfg file in the Western_Europe map folder, it is this file that is responsible for storing map settings and can get corupted, if its not there the next time the device boots up it will create a new file. This will wipe out any settings such as your Home address and and POI Warnings - Mike

Thanks Mike. It seems to have worked (although the first phone call Bluetoothed through the TT after doing this went rapidly intermittent loud and quiet). I'm now in the process of programming back in my Favourites!!
For future reference can I copy my Favourites to my PC before I delete the MapSettings.cfg file and then load them back up to my TT again?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "File access error" Reply with quote

PaulD28 wrote:

I was getting this a lot too on my 930.

Done the chkdsk thing lot of times but the bug still returns.

I have downgraded the firmware now as I am sure latest one is causing all these problems
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "File access error" Reply with quote

PaulD28 wrote:
I'm now in the process of programming back in my Favourites!!
For future reference can I copy my Favourites to my PC before I delete the MapSettings.cfg file and then load them back up to my TT again?
Best bet is to convert your Favourites to a POI set - see FAQ 15.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: