Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Searching for locations differently?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Searching for locations differently?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Searching for locations differently? Reply with quote

This weekend I was travelling from Philadelphia to Boston. If you leave TomTom to his own devices, he'll send you straight through New York City which may seem like a fast route on paper, but is never so in practice. Savvy travellers bypass NYC by taking the Tappan Zee Bridge. I've done this once before and remembered the basic route, but I was hoping to use TomTom (ONE, btw) to jog my fuzzy memory and perhaps remind after I've driven 80 miles in a straight line that the exit is coming up.

But I found that, not knowing the cities that the bridge connects, there seemed to be no way to actually search for the bridge. Is there some other way to search, perhaps by state or general area? I tried to find it on the map, but it was too cumbersome on the small screen. On the way home, having noted the cities connected by the bridge, I dropped a favorite right in the middle and that got me through just fine.

Lesson learned - plan long trip on the PC in advance, but if there's a way to search that I haven't found, I would love to know if anyone has any tips.

Thanks!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't really anything that you could do different. Street bridges tend not to be points of interest. Except for truck drivers - so maybe a trucker site has bridges with weight restrictions, height restrictions etc.

You can also request this POI category in our database...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lutz. Glad to know I wasn't missing something obvious. I may look for a POI set somewhere, but I'm not sure how useful it will be.

Quote:

I poked around the POI sections here, but didn't see a Bridges category. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will work for you but when I set a route from England to France and I notice the route goes through Paris, I go to Find Alternative - Avoid part of route and look down the list for Paris and tap on it. This calculates a new route and misses that wonderful Paris' périphérique.

You may be able to do similar with NYC.
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Not sure if this will work for you but when I set a route from England to France and I notice the route goes through Paris, I go to Find Alternative - Avoid part of route and look down the list for Paris and tap on it. This calculates a new route and misses that wonderful Paris' périphérique.

You may be able to do similar with NYC.

Indeed. I did try that at some point but I remember not liking the look of that route either. It involved going through the Lincoln Tunnel and then taking "expressways" around the city, but by the time you've gone through the Lincoln Tunnel you've already lost the battle Smile

After the fact, my friend suggested telling it to avoid I95, which may also work. At the end of the day, I'll just remember to sit down before I leave and get the route straight Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzerocsk wrote:
Thanks, Lutz. Glad to know I wasn't missing something obvious. I may look for a POI set somewhere, but I'm not sure how useful it will be.

Quote:

I poked around the POI sections here, but didn't see a Bridges category. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

No, it's not yet there. But if you request it while submitting the first bridge then others will follow...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just sitting here using the Advanced Planning option, and it's as easy as pie finding the Tappan Zee Bridge on the map. I just zoom in real close to be sure that I can distinguish the east from the westbound lanes across bridge, make sure that I set my cursor on the eastbound lane and tell TomTom to Travel Via.

I'm not sure why you say that it's a hassle to find the point on the map, unless you are trying to do it while the unit is stuck to your windshield. Hold the unit in your hands and it's a breeze.
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
No, it's not yet there. But if you request it while submitting the first bridge then others will follow...

Fair enough Smile I'll punch it in tomorrow.

46jimbo wrote:
I'm just sitting here using the Advanced Planning option, and it's as easy as pie finding the Tappan Zee Bridge on the map.

Easy...perhaps if you know about where to look. Which I would not have been able to do quickly without trying to trace the path by hand. Also, I wasn't sure what the path was (aside from going over the TZB). I really didn't even have a general idea where to look. Of course after I drove through it, I could easily find it on the map and set a favorite there for my trip home and future trips, but just trying to find it without knowing a ballpark estimate of where to look would have taken longer than it would be worth.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help!
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right about the difficulty of finding bridges. I only know where the TZB is because I've taken it many times. But nowhere on the TomTom map is the name of the bridge given. If I didn't know it's location, I wouldn't have a clue how to find it.

All of the bridges in the NYC area have no names given. They are just part of the highway and carry the highway's number.

However, the Peace Bridge connecting Buffalo to Canada is named. It is listed in the 'Streets' section for Buffalo and Fort Erie on the Canadian side. Same with the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls.
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

46jimbo wrote:
But nowhere on the TomTom map is the name of the bridge given. If I didn't know it's location, I wouldn't have a clue how to find it.

Astoundingly, if you search for a cross street and then search in either Nyack or Tarrytown, then choose I287 in the appropriate direction as the first street, Tappan Zee Br WILL appear as a possible cross street! Perhaps it's because *technically* the ends of the bridge are not actually in the town borders defined on the map?

Quote:
All of the bridges in the NYC area have no names given. They are just part of the highway and carry the highway's number.

I was able to search by cross street and choosing NYC as the city and punching in "G Wash," I did get the GW Bridge, but it's truncated and doesn't immediately apper on the screen after listing the Interstate/State highway numbers.

I learned a useful trick just now that when a name is truncated, you can tap/hold it with your finger to see the whole name.

Quote:
However, the Peace Bridge connecting Buffalo to Canada is named. It is listed in the 'Streets' section for Buffalo and Fort Erie on the Canadian side. Same with the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls.

I found this with Philly bridges, too. Ben Franklin Bridge is buried as I676/Ben Franklin Br. or something while Betsy Ross Bridge is listed by itself. It must just be a quirk of the way the maps are laid out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: