Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advanced Planning - Screen Re-Draw Now Very Slow.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Planning - Screen Re-Draw Now Very Slow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Advanced Planning - Screen Re-Draw Now Very Slow. Reply with quote

I've just added the European maps to my TomTom5/iPaq and now whilst in Advanced Planning, when zoomed right out on the map browsing screen, it takes ages to re-draw the screen when I scroll about - maybe as long as a minute.

When I just had the UK map installed, plus major routes in Europe I could scoot about the map browsing screen in and around Europe as quickly as I wanted to.

I presume this is because it is now having to fill in loads of detail now that I have the full Europe maps installed, but I don't understand why it has to do this because I have only selected the UK Plus map. I would have expected it to be as fast as before because I only have the UK Plus map selected - the same situation as when it used to scroll quickly.

Is this normal?

Thanks very much,

Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably because the plus map has much of the same detail as the Western Europe map to draw. On TTN5 my device took close on a minute to draw the map and also to plan a route if it was a long one. TTN6 is considerably faster even though I'm now using the Western Europe map.

Hope that helps CoPilot
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you reply :D. I suppose I'll have to put up with it then! It's only when I've zoomed out to show most of Europe, then if I try to scroll across it will take ages to re-draw the screen.

It is now showing the red blotches of built-up areas on mainland Europe (with only UK Plus selected) so it must be dealing with extra detail. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that I've only got the UK Plus map selected, so I wouldn't expect TomTom to be trying to show loads of detail when zoomed out to Europe level. With UK Plus selected and no European maps installed there was no problem.

Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why having the WE map installed but not selected makes a difference. It might be worth trying the simple UK map instead of UK Plus, then select WE if you want to see Europe. Alternatively I suppose you could move the WE map onto your PC and just shift it back when you need it. It's quick to do if you use a card reader.

Maybe someone else out there knows the answer :P
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a card reader on its way to me now. I'm not going trough all that wait again, installing maps via ActiveSync! It must have taken about 7 hours to put all the maps on!

It's definitely showing more detail in Europe (built up areas speckled across the map in red, when zoomed right out), but as you say, it doesn't make sense why that should be included if only UK Plus is selected.

I'll experiment a bit more when my card reader turns up!

Mike

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: