Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS noob: please recommend hardware/software for walking in
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS noob: please recommend hardware/software for walking in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edaly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: GPS noob: please recommend hardware/software for walking in Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to GPS, and I'm hoping you GPS experts out there might be able to make some recommendations for this particular application.

Basically, I just got a Dell Axim 51v and I want to get a GPS hardware / software solution which will allow me to quickly access detailed street maps of New York while walking (mostly around Manhattan).

I've done some preliminary investigation of the different hardware systems out there (CompactFlash vs. Bluetooth, etc.) but I feel like I'm not making much progress in finding the ideal piece of hardware.

Similarly, I've done some searches on the different software packages out there and it's very difficult to ascertain exactly what they will do (does anyone have this stuff in a store you can try out?).

So, forum experts, if you have the time, I would very much appreciate your help. Here are the things I need the hardware/software to do:

Hardware Requirements:
- Show orientation (facing)
- High positional accuracy (<= 3.0m ideally). I want to tell what side of the street I'm on if possible.
- Fast aquisition time
- Ideally attaches directly to the Axim (CompactFlash?) so the orientation reading matches where the Axim is pointing, and doesn't require an extra hand to hold/operate.

Software Requirements:
- Very detailed street maps with good display/rendering (ideal would be something that looks like Google maps)
- Can overlay New York subway map over street map
- Can punch in an address and have the software highlight that position on the map
- Maps come pre-loaded with lots of Points of Interest (POIs) that can be toggled on/off. e.g. ATMs, Restaurants, etc.
- Can add your own POI's on the PC/PDA with different icons

Not Important:
- Cost (within reason, I'd rather not spend $500 on a GPS system)
- Storage requirements (I'll buy as much SD as I need).
- Driving-related functionality (don't need it to talk, tell me when to turn, etc.)

Based on my initial searches, I'm leaning towards a CompactFlash receiver like the Pharos Pocket GPS Navigator and some software like MS PocketStreets. Of course, I still can't tell exactly whether these products meet the needs outlined above.

So, if you can make a recommendation for some hardware/software which meets all or some of those requirements, please post! Even if you just happen to know a bit of info on one particular aspect that might be of use (e.g. how to overlay a subway map), please post!

This noob would appreciate any help in understanding the daunting world of GPS..

thanks,

edaly
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forums

Quote:
- High positional accuracy (<= 3.0m ideally). I want to tell what side of the street I'm on if possible.

With a state of the art SiRF III chipset that is achievable.

Quote:
- Ideally attaches directly to the Axim (CompactFlash?) so the orientation reading matches where the Axim is pointing, and doesn't require an extra hand to hold/operate.

That's not how GPS works. Orientation information is only reliable as long as you are moving. Pointing the device somewhere while stationary has no effect. However, the Wintec WBT-100 is the first Bluetooth receiver to combine a GPS with an electronic compass - have a look at our review.

No need to hold a BT receiver in the hand - you can put it in a shirt pocket or in your backpack.

Quote:
- Can overlay New York subway map over street map

No can do. All you can do is add the stations as POIs

Quote:
- Maps come pre-loaded with lots of Points of Interest (POIs) that can be toggled on/off. e.g. ATMs, Restaurants, etc.

POIs are a double edged sword. They tend to be out of date most of the time. don't put too much emphasis on this.

Quote:
Based on my initial searches, I'm leaning towards a CompactFlash receiver like the Pharos Pocket GPS Navigator and some software like MS PocketStreets.

Yikes... Have a read through the dozens of alternatives at hand, instead of deciding between two of the worst programs on the market...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/item-menu.php?idSubCat=26

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/compareomatic/index.php?TempID=21

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: