Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT6 house numbers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT6 house numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: TT6 house numbers Reply with quote

I would like to try and work out how many houses are in a certain area (for a charity, not commercial or junk mail). TomTom6 shows house numbers but it is a slow process to find the info I need on screen. Does anyone know if this data can be read or extracted, ideally to a spreadsheet (without breaking any terms & conditions, etc).

Phil
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost certainly it would be breaking the license terms (not allowed to reverse engineer etc). Also, not all properties are included in the database - any properties with names are not included (like mine). I'm not sure but I suspect that they only keep house number information. I.e. this road has house numbers 1 to 200 on it and the direction of numbering for estimating the house position. Keeping positional information of all properties would be non trivial.

This sort of information is available from the Royal Mail - but there would be a charge for it.
pst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that all properties are identified by the Royal Mail with a number, even though the number may not be used or displayed, but I could be wrong. It would seem that you need a number to go with a postcode.

Although TT6 doesn't give house names, so far the roads I have looked at locally seem to have numbers instead. And in roads with a mixture of named and numbered, the sequence seems to stay correct for the number of houses but may not be complete as you say. I don't know about houses added in later and numbered with A, B, C etc. which there is a lot of in my area. And it obviously won't help with block of flats which will just show the building number, not individual flats, but I could live with that.

I can access the info I need on screen but it is a slow process. It seems a shame not be able to get to the info in the maps I have already paid for in a usable format. But I am willing to accept you may be right on the T&C's. I don't know if it is possible technically either or if the map format is known so it can be read external to TT6. I'm not sure if reading a database I have paid for without using the supplied program could be construed as reverse engineering though.

Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: