Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IPAQ 5450 + 3450
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IPAQ 5450 + 3450

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpyderMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: IPAQ 5450 + 3450 Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering if any one can help. I have been a patron of this site for over 18 months. Since I bought my 3450 sleeve this year to work with my 3850 Ipaq I have had no problems whatsoever and it has been a valuable tool..... However since upgrading my Ipaq to the 5450 model all hell has broken loose. I cannot seem to get a succesful sat lock and getting a lock seems to be a very hit and miss affair, I might have to on some occasions have to soft reset my Ipaq up tp 9-10 times before it is working and only then after it has been hanging for some time. At times on the motorway it will grab 3-4 sat's and they will status yellow then a couple will lock and I will get a fix on the map but it will not update, the spped will show something ridiculous like 384 MPH and then it will just drop out altogether.

I have checked the comm port and it connects on comm 4 at 57000 baud. I have the GPS info toll d/loaded from this site I think and it still shows the same problems. I have service pack 2 installed as well as the Navman driver 3.1.6 (I think). I have run out of options and am seriously thinking about selling my 5450 and going back to my 3850 (Not what want to do). I would just like the system to be reliable as it is used frequently, I have posted infomation off to Navman but have not had a response (Prob Xmas break). Help!!! Evil or Very Mad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running your sleeve at NMEA 4800 ? Maybe there are timing issues with the 5450 and the sleeve that prevent the two from talking to each other properly, and lowering the comms speed may help.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SpyderMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, could you advise me of where I can change these settings? or a webiste that will detail them so I can test them.

Thanks in advance,

SM
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would use the sleeve at 57600. The Navman sleeves do have difficulty changing baud rates and you can sometimes lose the GPS Receiver for a while when doing so, and Navman have optimally set the sleeve at 57600 baud to cut down on processor interference (RF noise) from the Pocket PC Processor to the GPS Receiver due to the closeness in proximity to the sleeve's chip.

It could be what you are experiencing is a lot more noise from a faster processor, you may want to check the anti-static bag thread. Still haven't tested this myself, but several members of the team have and apparently it does fix problems in acquiring sats and getting a quicker fix. The thread is available here.

Failing that I would contact Navman, as it maybe that there is an inherent fault with your sleeve, and although it was working before it's not now, or perhaps that it's only being highlighted with the 5450 and Navman may be aware of such a problem, so it's worth while contacting them via www.navman-mobile.com.
SpyderMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Gone Reply with quote

It was nice while it lasted, but I could just not get the 5450 and my 3450 sleeve to work together. I have gone back to my old 3850 Ipaq and sold the 5450 Ipaq. Navman gave me support but it did not cure the problem. Reverting back to the 3800 series Ipaq and I am getting a Sat lock within seconds and no lockups etc etc.
I tried placing a anti-stat bag in the sleeve but it did not make any difference. I will probably buy a 3970 from Ebay in the next couple of months.

Thanks for all the advice.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it sounds like it is a timing issue after all... between the 5450 and the jacket's circuitry. Maybe the fact that the 5450 runs on 2003 is a factor as well.

The 3970 is an excellent choice. Durable machine, good speaker, excellent screen. Just don't try to upgrade to 2003... There is not much benefit of this for the 3970.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: