Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 won't stay connected on my iPAQ 6910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 won't stay connected on my iPAQ 6910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ridgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 won't stay connected on my iPAQ 6910 Reply with quote

Hi folks,

This is my first post here so go easy on me!

I'm using an iPAQ 6910 with TomTom 5 and I'm experiencing problems with TomTom staying connected.

For example on a trip to a venue in Norwich from Cambridge it worked fine until about half way (about 35 miles) then when I glanced at it again it had switched itself off and returned to the desktop(?).

I asked my passenger to take it from its holder and start up TomTom again and select the same destination then replace it in the holder. This worked fine for about another 10 minutes then the same thing happened. TomTom was reset again but this time wouldnt stay on for more than a few seconds. Needless to say by this time I was pretty hot under the collar especially considering I had no clue how to reach my destination and hadn't printed any maps or anything as back up (why should I have to!). Eventually arrived at my destination thanks to the good old road atlas and a few kind strangers.

Some other observations were the weather conditions were quite bad and it was very cloudy so I put it down to atmospheric conditions being the novice user that I am but the sattelite signal strength seemed to be adequate also.

Once home I noticed my quick GPS settings were out of date so I updated them put my problems down to them.

A week later I was due to make a trip to Lewisham, London from Cambridge to collect an item I'd won on eBay. This again would be a completely blind journey having never been there before. This time rather than be caught out again I took my sons Garmin Streetpilot as a back up!

Exactly the same thing happened, worked fine for a time then just wouldn't stay on. Weather on this occasion was fine and in any case my son's Garmin unit didn't miss a beat thankfully.

I am at a complete loss what to look at next and as you can imagine a partially working TomTom is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be or any suggestions for settings etc as I'm about to throw in the towel with this and buy an all in one TomTom unit.

Thanks in advance
Ridgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Ridgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Confused
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert,far from it, but I reckon it can't be much...bluetooth dropping out eg ? My TT5 was fine for a couple of years and now gone onto 6 which in my opinion is equally as good, if not better. Certainly better that CoPilot which I also run....(on the odd occasion..just to make sure it's still working like.)
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem too on my 6910. TT would just close down for no apparent reason, usually at critical points in my journey! No idea why this happened, though I would occasionally get warnings saying 'memory critically low'. It became more frequent as the weeks went by, and eventually the whole PPC locked up. I've done a hard reset and rebuilt the 6910 from scratch, using the new official (free) TT6 upgrade - see http://www.ipaqchoice.com/Generic3.aspx?page=navigation - though you still need to buy the maps - TT5 maps don't work with TT6.

I've also been really selective with the programs I've added, and tried to install most things on the storage card. TT likes to hog the memory, so if other programs are running it gets upset. Make sure you close everything else down (phone excepted, of course) before you fire up TT. To make this easier, get something like vBar which replaces the OK button and actually closes the program, unlike the default 'OK'. vBar - free from http://vieka.com/vbar.htm Alternatively, (or as well as?) try something like ValkSoft Space Reclaimer which frees up your memory and closes running programs too. Works ok on square screens, though you can't see the results! Trust me, though, it does work on the 69xx, and ValkSoft does free life-time upgrades and they have told me the next release will support sq screens - prob. out at end of year.

Again, really try to keep as much memory as free as possible and be selective about what programs you install. You should be trying to keep a good 50% of your RAM free so TT can do its stuff. My current setup works well now, and TT6 has not crashed, hung, or closed down - even when taking/making numerous phone calls over my Parrot BT car kit.

Incidentally, before settling on TT6 I tried several other SatNav programs - none were as good as TomTom. Really frustrating, as I'd just LOVE to snub TomTom - but as I drive miles on business I find nothing else comes close to TT's user-friendly interface and navigating reliability.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: