Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OS 1:50000 or 1:25000 Maps for Nuvi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OS 1:50000 or 1:25000 Maps for Nuvi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: OS 1:50000 or 1:25000 Maps for Nuvi Reply with quote

Does anyone provide standard OS maps for loading onto a Garmin Nuvi. I have OS Maps from Memory Map which I can use on a PDA, but I've found any equivalent maps for loading onto a Nuvi?
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: OS 1:50000 or 1:25000 Maps for Nuvi Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
Does anyone provide standard OS maps for loading onto a Garmin Nuvi. I have OS Maps from Memory Map which I can use on a PDA, but I've found any equivalent maps for loading onto a Nuvi?

That should of course say "I've NOT found any equivalent maps for loading onto a Nuvi"
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something along these lines perhaps?
http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topogb.jsp
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:

Yes similar to the Topo GB maps, but I'm really looking for a 'real' OS Map - just an electronic copy of the paper versions (as per Memory Map on Pocket PC). Also, from the Garmin site it's not clear whether Topo GB is compatible with a Nuvi - it doesn't seem to appear in the compatibility list.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
Eldar wrote:

Yes similar to the Topo GB maps, but I'm really looking for a 'real' OS Map - just an electronic copy of the paper versions (as per Memory Map on Pocket PC). Also, from the Garmin site it's not clear whether Topo GB is compatible with a Nuvi - it doesn't seem to appear in the compatibility list.

It is based on the OS data and it is compatible with Nivi. I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "real" - is it as in "looking like a paper map"?
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:

It is based on the OS data and it is compatible with Nivi. I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "real" - is it as in "looking like a paper map"?

Yes, I'm looking for something that is just an electronic copy of a standard paper OS map, as is the case with MemoryMap on a pocket PC. From the sample images the Topo GB maps don't seem to have anywhere near the same level of detail?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
Eldar wrote:

Yes, I'm looking for something that is just an electronic copy of a standard paper OS map, as is the case with MemoryMap on a pocket PC. From the sample images the Topo GB maps don't seem to have anywhere near the same level of detail?

Not sure - in theory it should have the same level of detail, I used Topo France and it had all the info I needed. What kind of "detail" or "level" are you looking for?
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:

Not sure - in theory it should have the same level of detail, I used Topo France and it had all the info I needed. What kind of "detail" or "level" are you looking for?

I really just want it to look like a standard OS map when I go out walking, showing in particular footpaths, bridleways, landmarks etc.

Found a thread about Topo GB here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34220&highlight=topo+gb

This seems to confirm that Topo GB does not contain all the detail found on a standard OS map, as the information does appear to be available from OS in vector form (eg footpaths, bridleways etc). I would seem that the Memory Map product is just a raster scanned image of the source map - hence more detail, but much larger storage needed. But the implication is presumably that these raster scanned maps are not / will not be compatible with the Nuvi.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there you are then :-) methinks you can use the raster maps with TomTom
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the ones from the Scottish Mountaineering club - free, detailed and cover the whole of the UK. Working happily on my Nuvi and its transparent so I can see the nuvi map too

http://www.smc.org.uk/contour_maps2.htm
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Anyone able to point me in the direction of a link to use of OS maps with TomTom? I understand exactly where you are coming from...I am also comfortable with OS Maps function and would love to be able to use them on my sat-nav but didn't think it was possible.

Cheers - Nick
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
Anyone able to point me in the direction of a link to use of OS maps with TomTom? I understand exactly where you are coming from...I am also comfortable with OS Maps function and would love to be able to use them on my sat-nav but didn't think it was possible.

It is not that simple - TomTom allows you to have images (raster maps) in jpeg format accompanied by *.sat files which are stored in the "raster" directory on the HD or SD card. These images are visible at a certain zoom level (afaiu defined in the *.sat files). You can have your own scans in this directory, but you'll need to "calibrate" them and (I think) change the *.sat files accordingly. I'm sure somebody must have done it already.
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
Use the ones from the Scottish Mountaineering club - free, detailed and cover the whole of the UK. Working happily on my Nuvi and its transparent so I can see the nuvi map too

http://www.smc.org.uk/contour_maps2.htm

Thanks for that - I've got these working on my Nuvi, and they do add a bit more detail when off road.

I guess I'll have to stick with Pocket PC and MemoryMap for now when I go off road to get the full electonic OS map experience.
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other thing I meant to say - you probably want to turn off the outline map, the voids and the names (other than the hill names and trig points). Otherwise the screen gets cluttered if you run in conjunction with the normal mapsource data
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
Other thing I meant to say - you probably want to turn off the outline map, the voids and the names (other than the hill names and trig points). Otherwise the screen gets cluttered if you run in conjunction with the normal mapsource data

Is that 'turn off' as in don't load them using Mapsource, or is there some other option for turning off different elements once they are loaded?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: