Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - North up view
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

North up view

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: North up view Reply with quote

What does everyone think of the new 'North up' navigation view in TT6?

I can see that it might be more tricky in following instructions etc but I think it gives a better location awareness, espcially if you are used to using maps. It also seems to leave the zoom level fixed.

(I admit I haven't tried driving with it yet)
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a personal point of view I can see no use in it ..When I had to use paper maps I always held them "track up" so to speak.

dave
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
From a personal point of view I can see no use in it ..When I had to use paper maps I always held them "track up" so to speak.

dave

Dear oh dear, shakes head :P
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all previous TT had North-Up view when in 2D mode and TT6 was the first to allow head-up mode?

Cannot see why you would want to use head-up 2D mode.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I thought all previous TT had North-Up view when in 2D mode and TT6 was the first to allow head-up mode?

Cannot see why you would want to use head-up 2D mode.

I believe they term it "North up" vs "Direction up". Direction up has always been the only option in navigation mode, all the way back to TTn v1 wether that be in 3D or 2D.

The map screen has always been North up, but that doesn't scroll to follow your progress.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who uses maps/gps to get from A to B with the least amount of hassel and brain power would any one like to explain the advantages of "North up" as as opposed to" Track up" that have moved TomTom to include the feature in TTN6??

Dave
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
As someone who uses maps/gps to get from A to B with the least amount of hassel and brain power would any one like to explain the advantages of "North up" as as opposed to" Track up" that have moved TomTom to include the feature in TTN6??

Dave

It's a GPS issue, not a software issue. When you are stationary in the car, the location (on TomTom) swivels as it cannot determine the direction you are traveling.

Normally the GPS knows the last position (One second ago) and where you are now and therefore can calculate the degrees on a compass of the direction you are travelling. No moving, no direction.

Take that scenario and apply it to walking. The map will swivel and you cannot determine the roads around you. With NORTH UP. the map does not swivel or rotate and therefore it is easier to navigate around, just like a paper map.

You can of course, rotate the Pocket PC in your hand while walking if you still want to orintate yourself, but I would not recommend this while driving 8O .
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: North up view Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
What does everyone think of the new 'North up' navigation view in TT6?

I can see that it might be more tricky in following instructions etc but I think it gives a better location awareness, espcially if you are used to using maps. It also seems to leave the zoom level fixed.

(I admit I haven't tried driving with it yet)

It shouldn't make any difference to the directions :D "Turn left" is still "turn left" no matter which way the map is pointing.

How you choose to orient your map is entirely down to personal preference.

I like the direction up format with TomTom as it tends to fit the aspect ratio of my Dell Axim - allowing a better view of up coming 'events'.

But using topo software whilst walking I find that it is more convenient to have 'North up'. When using paper maps (e.g. OS) I tend to use them "North Up" - that's the way most of them are printed. But I do find I turn to north to get an overall impression. Which is akin to using them "Direction Up" When I used to orienteer (in my youth) then "direction up" was a much more convenient way of holding the relatively small map - allowing me to think ahead and get the general idea of where I should be running.

I have done a limited amount of navigation at sea with charts and here I found "North up" is more convenient and as you are plotting courses by compass direction (e.g. at waypoint x turn to y degrees) and by-and-large the sea is reasonably featureless, in geography terms, it doesn't make much difference which way up the map is just as long as you avoid the shallower bits - or the bits that stick out of the water. Laughing

What it probably boils down to with my personal preference is that if I have detailed maps, paper or electronic, then 'direction up' allows a more relevant comparison between what you see on the map and what you are seeing for real. When planning a route I would never think about turning a map around - strange old world isn't it.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: North up view Reply with quote

[quote=philpugh

It shouldn't make any difference to the directions :D "Turn left" is still "turn left" no matter which way the map is pointing.

[/quote]

It the voice instructions and direction arrow always pointed the same way I would have to agree, but they don't and a quick glance at the screen is required to double check.I tried navigating with "north up" today and after a few rounabouts on strange turf I had to switch back to normal ...it was just tooooo "SCARY" Laughing

Dave
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Philpugh. It's very much a matter of personal preference. With paper maps I always used North up and still do, but whenever I try it with GPS I get disorientated very quickly!

Laurie
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both navigational (TomTom) and Topographical (Memory Map Ordnance Survey) on my PDA. When I want to know where to go as in navigational, direction up is the best as when you seen the road bends and junctions on the map they appear as you see them ahead. When you want to know where you are or do your own navigating, especially off track, then I find North up the best

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: