Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobbin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Reply with quote

Hi, I know this has been on lots and lots of different discussions and the upshot is that the unit is crap Evil or Very Mad I have sent TomTom an e-mail (copied below) and will give you all the updates as I receive them from TomTom Rolling Eyes

Hi,

Two days ago I bought a TomTom GO 510 Traffic Edition from Currys in Stevenage, Herts, UK. I have conected the RDS Receiver and have the latest Software Version number. Not once have I been able to receive any traffic information on any of the journeys I have planned. I have the aerial fully extended and it is perfectly straight, I have even tried it out of my window, still no traffic information. There is a constant egg timer in the top corner of the display trying to receive information, but nothing. I have tried different settings, telling the unit to use the strongest signal and to only use UK signals, still nothing. The RDS receiver has a version number 4V00.000. The unit is constantly cycling through radio stations but does not lock onto anything. As I understand, in the UK, only Classic FM emits the RDS signal, though the TomTom is trying signals that Classic FM does not transmit on, this seems pointless. I have looked through various forums on this issue. PocketGPSWorld.Com seems to have lots of users having the same problems, all unhappy with the service being provided from TomTom with this RDS unit. I hope you are able to offer me some explanation as to why I cannot connect to traffic updates and more to the point, a solution to the problem. It would appear from the forums that this product has not been fully tested and it is the consumer who is finding the faults and having to deal with them. Surely this should have been done through the Research and Development department at TomTom. I am totaly dissapointed with this service and TomTom's reputation has been severely tainted by this hardware addition. I look forward to your swift response to this issue.

Regards,
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing they will ask in their reply is: "Have you updated from v6.52 to v6.522?"

Have you? (you just mention "latest")

Quote from YourNav forum:
Quote:
The changes will be noticable by users who use a TMC antenna. Most important change: it's now possible to fill in your own FM frequency of which the TMC signal should be used. In other words: if you know the FM frequency of your favourite radio station, then you can now manually enter this frequency and use this station's TMC info (only valid of course if this particular station broadcasts TMC info!). You can use this option by tapping on the traffic taskbar to the right hand side of the naviagtional screen. Then a menu will appear which contains the new option.

Also some improvements were made so the unit will now search more efficiently for a good, strong TMC signal. The indicator on top of the traffic bar has also changed: Orange (and moving): search for TMC signal in progress. Green: TMC signal found and Auto with an arrow on top: traffic info is being retrieved.

Finally it's noteworthy that the last frequency which was used to pull TMC data from will now be remembered by the unit. So from now on, when turning the GO on, the connection with the TMC station should be established much faster.

There are no other changes (for other features I mean) in version 6.522.

It's not a complete solution by any means, but may well improve matters for you.
Bobbin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad Embarassed
Yes I have version 6.522
Bobbin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply from TomTom -

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Try going into change preferences and resetting your device to factory settings.
Once you have done this, choose a different country to connect to and after searching revert back to the strongest signal option.
If it still wont lock onto a signal the try this:
Go to the tune rds function, this is found in the tmc status screen, which is found by touching the traffic bar on the main map screen on the right hand side.
From that screen you can tune into an individual station, the radio station that provides premium service in the UK for tmc information is classic fm.
Please tune into the frequency 100-102 depending on which is stronger in your area, it is possible that the signal is not very strong for the radio station where you live and that’s why it wont lock onto a station.
Try doing this and if still doesn’t work, stay outside your car where you are sure you can get a good radio signal for classic fm(tune in on your stereo) and see then if it will connect and get information.
It can take about 2 minutes to connect and another minute or so to show information, when information is updated the time clock will turn solid green, if it turns green and there is still no information, then there is no traffic, but it is the green light that you need to be looking for.
The only reason it is not locking on to a station is because none of the stations its searching have a good enough rds reception.
The issues you saw on the Internet are relating to when the tmc receiver was released, the update 6.522 fixes this issue, instead of locking on to just the strongest fm signal, it will lock on to the strongest rds signal.If it switching between stations and not connecting them it must be a matter of it not finding a strong enough signal.
Please follow the steps i have given you and obviously make sure the receiver is connected properly etc, give it some time to receive the information, so you made need some patience.
If these steps dont help, please update us and we will look into your problem further.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please have a read through This Thread which explains the above text and includes a couple of additional other tips, the external aerial refered to on the second page will void any waranty etc if attempted, but it does improve reception - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: