Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to stop TomTom zooming in and out automatically?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to stop TomTom zooming in and out automatically?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: How to stop TomTom zooming in and out automatically? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to stop TomTom 300 automatically zooming in and out when the vehicle is moving?

I've disabled 3D mode by the way, but would love to disable the zoom 'function' if possible!

I set the zoom level manually using the +/- shortcuts, but as soon as the vehicle changes speed TomTom resets this and chooses it's own zoom level apparently based on the vehicle's speed!

The reason I ask is because yesterday on Leeds ring-road I was travelling at a healthy speed, but failed to see which exit I was supposed to take because TomTom zoomed out so far that the display just looked like red spaghetti!

It's not healthy for me or my insurance to be frantically pressing the + key when changing lanes on a busy road...!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot adjust this, the "Auto Zoom" was a "feature" introduced with version 5 and has caused a degree of annoyance for quite a few users, I find the 3D mode far easier to use when actually driving, also pay attention to the next turn indicator as it counts down to the junction (assuming of course you have a route planned) - Mike
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You cannot adjust this, the "Auto Zoom" was a "feature" introduced with version 5 and has caused a degree of annoyance for quite a few users, I find the 3D mode far easier to use when actually driving, also pay attention to the next turn indicator as it counts down to the junction (assuming of course you have a route planned) - Mike

Hi Mike
Thanks for the input. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the zoom annoying.

The problem with the count down to the next turn indicator is that it doesn't always give an accurate distance. On motorways where there is a long exit lane, TomTom has no idea where the start and end actually is. I then get confused on roads such as Leeds ring-road, where there might be 3 exits all within a short distance that all fit into the count down figure, so you can't accurately determine which one it is, especially when it's zoomed out to the outer stratosphere...!

I shouldn't moan as I always get there in the end, but I could get there faster... ;-)
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop TomTom zooming in and out automatically? Reply with quote

Rouchie wrote:
Does anyone know how to stop TomTom 300 automatically zooming in and out when the vehicle is moving?

I've disabled 3D mode by the way, but would love to disable the zoom 'function' if possible!

I set the zoom level manually using the +/- shortcuts, but as soon as the vehicle changes speed TomTom resets this and chooses it's own zoom level apparently based on the vehicle's speed!

The reason I ask is because yesterday on Leeds ring-road I was travelling at a healthy speed, but failed to see which exit I was supposed to take because TomTom zoomed out so far that the display just looked like red spaghetti!

It's not healthy for me or my insurance to be frantically pressing the + key when changing lanes on a busy road...!

I always have it set to 3d mode and the zoom doesnt seem to change a lot in that,and have never noticed a problem like you had
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop TomTom zooming in and out automatically? Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
I always have it set to 3d mode and the zoom doesnt seem to change a lot in that,and have never noticed a problem like you had

Yes it only really seems to affect the top-down map view (non-3D mode). I can't believe that TomTom thought this was helpful to have as a feature, especially as the Zoom controls are so easy to use manually anyway! According to mikealder the auto-zoom feature seems to be relatively new.

I looked for a feature recommendation area on TomTom's web site so I could request this be removed in the next software release, but there isn't one...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relative to what? - the removal of the manual zoom, or call it Auto Zoom as a feature was brought in with version 5 so its been around for quite a while, there was a great deal of corespondence on this issue when the switch from vs3 to vs5 was made - leave the nav display in 3D mode and you should be OK, but remember to listen to the device and look at the distance counting down to the turn. I find its very accurate in use and very rarely does it cause me to take a wrong junction - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I got my first satnav (TT GO300 and now on GO 700) in May 2005, I have only ever experienced auto zoom. I was and am impressed by it. After seeing on another thread that many folk like 2D, I tried that the other day and simply couldn't stand it - too high up for me and not enough zoom at roundabouts and junctions.
However, I have a strong feeling that since upgrading to 6.150, the program now is not so good at the zoom and navigation as it was before - slower zoom leaving me a bit behind at roundabouts, plus far fewer turn indications than before.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rouchie wrote:

The problem with the count down to the next turn indicator is that it doesn't always give an accurate distance. On motorways where there is a long exit lane, TomTom has no idea where the start and end actually is. I then get confused on roads such as Leeds ring-road, where there might be 3 exits all within a short distance that all fit into the count down figure, so you can't accurately determine which one it is, especially when it's zoomed out to the outer stratosphere...!

This problem doesn't seem to be there on 3d view, I find its very accurate for turnings.
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...slower zoom leaving me a bit behind at roundabouts

Ditto. The was as instance in Mancester last week where there were 2 mini-roundabouts directly following one another, and then a right turn. The spoken instructions didn't come fast enough and the 3D map didn't spin fast enough either, so I ended up coming off too early.

That was why I decided to give the 2D map a go, which I thought was a massive improvement because you can set the zoom manually and see well in advance where you're supposed to be aiming for. But then it zooms in by itself which kind of defies the point...!

It's interesting listening to other people's opinions. I've still no regrets about getting the 300!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: