Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi routing rules
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi routing rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwynnej3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi routing rules Reply with quote

Does anyone know what rules Nuvi 310 applies when working out a route?

Mine is great for 'last-mile' navigation to town destinations, but with Fastest route set it still tries to send me on wacky detours through villages and towns even when there are obvious major (and direct) routes available. Changing vehicle type from car to bus to truck doesn't seem to improve matters - or indeed produce any obvious change to the route.

What are the rules for Taxi and Emergency vehicle types?

The Nuvi is a lovely little device and the Pocket GPS speed camera databases work pretty well though the beeping is a bit over-enthusiastic at times, but on a longish run it is no substitute for a road atlas and some common sense.

Thanks.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have you set in the "Avoid" options? These can vary the routes taken more than the general settings. Certainly having Avoid Highways (aka Motorways) set would cause the problems you describe.

As for beeping too much - in what way is it beeping too much - if you have loaded a speed camera database, it will beep as you approach each camera, and is likely to beep if you are speeding past the camera, otherwise it's unlikely to beep at all! If it's beeping whilst you are under the speed limit, there's a chance you loaded the database wrong.
gwynnej3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Swing

Avoidances I have set are Traffic, U-Turns and Unpaved Roads, nothing else. reasonable? I get the wacky routes even when there's no traffic incidents showing, but I'll try with the TMC unplugged to see if it's anything to do with that.

The speed camera warnings I get regardless of my speed so maybe I have done something wrong. I did wonder if it considered my speed when deciding to warn me. I did a manual install using POI loader, setting the trigger distance to 1320 feet (quarter of a mile). It was done late at night so maybe I'll take another look at that one. Actually that's one feature I find quite impressive, so it was just an observation not a criticism.

Cheers.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi routing rules Reply with quote

gwynnej3 wrote:
Fastest route set it still tries to send me on wacky detours through villages and towns even when there are obvious major (and direct) routes available.

Can you give us some specific examples?

What it could be is that some UK rural roads are incorrectly coded by Navteq and the Nüvi thinks that you can average 60 MPH when they are actually narrow country lanes where you have to ford rivers and such like.
gwynnej3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigate from Warwick to Milton Keynes MK5 6LB. M40 to J11 Banbury. Obvious route then is A422 Brackley then (perhaps less obvious) A43 to A421 south of Brackley and then A421 to Buckingham direct to the west side of MK.

Nuvi wants to take B4525 from M40 J11 through villages towards north of Brackley then fiddle its way through lanes to A422 and on into the middle of Buckingham which is a nightmare route. And not for trucks!

Reverse the above route and Nuvi takes you to Buckingham then wants to make a right turn into the town rather than cruising round the by-pass.

Heading north to Hull last week from Warwick all was fine until I got on the M1 from M69, it then wanted me to exit to the A46 towards Newark, which OK is the shorter route, but definitely not the fastest. Ignoring directions to turn off at Leicester she told ne to exit for the next three exits of M1 until eventually she gave up and agreed M1 is the way to go.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwynnej3 wrote:
Obvious route then is A422 Brackley... Nuvi wants to take B4525

Yep, this is a problem with the classification of the roads in the maps. The B4525 is classed as a "Major Road" (~50 MPH) while the A422 is classed as a slower "Collector Road" (~30 MPH) resulting in the bizzare route. :x

Sat Nav will get you there, but unfortunately you can't always trust it to give you the best route.
gwynnej3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks. TomTom would suffer the same issue?

Back to my original question - what is the difference between Car/Motobike, Bus, Truck, Taxi, Emergency - anyone know?

Cheers again.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The different vehicles will have different ETAs based on different speed information on the different road types.

The different vehicles alter certain navigation options - roads that are buses only will be available to buses, emergency vehicles can (I think) go through no entry signs, and obviously people walking can go the wrong way down one way roads. Trucks (I think) - it will try to avoid too tight turns.

So, the different vehicles have slightly different navigation and different ETAs.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwynnej3 wrote:

There are two map providers - Navteq (Garmin) and TeleAtlas (TomTom) so the problems on your Garmin unit probably won't exist on a TomTom but the opposite also applies. Mapping errors affect all sat nav systems in one way or the other and there isn't much to choose between them in my opinion. You just have to learn to live with the occasional problem and work around the known ones.

Quote:
Back to my original question - what is the difference between Car/Motobike, Bus, Truck, Taxi, Emergency - anyone know?

In addition to the road type, they are also marked with certain other attributes including a flag to say if the road allows pedestrians / cyclists / bus / taxi or emergency vehicles. This is so it won't route cyclists down the motorway for example.

I think that in addition to this, the truck/bus algorithm favours major roads over minor ones and it changes the ETA. Also Cycle/Pedestrian won't take you on roads where they are prohibited (ie motorways).

Welcome by the way!
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my new Nuvi last week when navigating down from Wrexham to N Wiltshire in that it sent me down the A5 to Shrewsbury and thence across country to Bridgenorth and Kidderminster before joining the M5 just N of Worcester. I know from experience that carrying on the M54 to the M6 and thence onto the M5 is faster - even allowing for a degree of congestion around the M6/5 interchange. I tried the proposed route and it was slower but I have noticed that if you "know better" and plough on regardless the Nuvi will much more readily recalculate a new route rather than keep trying to redirect you to the original route than some other systems I know of.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satnav is just a machine, when we visit daughter in Leeds the nuvi, i3 and other sat nave will take us out of the city to the motorway just to get up the road to Bradford.
70mph on the m'way makes it the fastest route but does not take into account the traffic from the city out to the motorway, at the wrong time of day you can nearly be in Bradford in the time it takes to get to the M'way slip road.
I use fasted route to the outskirts of cities or towns and then switch to shortest route.
Always check your route on Via Michelin or a map especially if you have a deadline to meet.
mrgthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwynnej3 wrote:

Cheers again.

Emergency will tell you to right/left at no no right/left turns and also take you down no entry's and One way Streets. Although UK Emergency vehs are not allowed to go down one way streets even if on Blue lights and Sirens.
pandamedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgthomas wrote:
gwynnej3 wrote:

Cheers again.

Emergency will tell you to right/left at no no right/left turns and also take you down no entry's and One way Streets. Although UK Emergency vehs are not allowed to go down one way streets even if on Blue lights and Sirens.

unless directed by a police officer in uniform Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgthomas wrote:
UK Emergency vehs are not allowed to go down one way streets even if on Blue lights and Sirens.

I've seen the Police drive the wrong way down a one way street while chasing a motorbike.

Where did you hear that they weren't allowed down a one-way street the wrong way?
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he is a Police Officer he probably knows....... Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: